Posted to rec.woodworking

Default another good reason for sharp tools

was just removing some very small end grain bumps
chisel caught and then released at an unexpected angle

the finger cut was deep and took a while before it bled but it was a
super fine and clean cut

my point is that this cut heeled up much more quickly than any other
cut

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 10:49:20 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

my point is that this cut heeled up much more quickly than any other
cut

I suppose you are speaking of skin, only, damage.
I'd say not so. The sharpness of the tool has nothing to do with the healing process or speed of healing. Skin on the finger (pads) is thicker than in other places.

Below: More comment than you may want or expect..... some should be common sense, though.

Considerations: How deep is the cut? Skin deep is not so critical. Skin is an amazing organ, typically heals fast and usually without many problems. Skin is the protective barrier between the outside world and your internal body parts. Many folks seem to take skin for granted and don't take care of it, as they probably should. When cuts are deeper, into the subcutaneous tissues, muscles, connective tissues, tendons, ligaments, etc., the issues of and with scar tissue requires more and often specific attention.

Skin and other tissues heal "across" the cut, not along its length. Skin heals at about the same speed, unless there is something wrong with the skin tissue in the first place (like with sun damaged skin, eczema, psoriasis, etc.). Also, it doesn't matter if the cut is clean or ragged. However, a ragged cut is more likely to have more scar tissue develop, hence possibly giving the impression of slower healing.

When one has a cut, it is good to move your body part, during the healing process, as you normally would. With the range of motion, if there is any scar tissue forming, the scar tissue aligns itself, more so, with the surrounding tissues, hence disallowing a somewhat knot-forming area at the cut site. This range of motion concept is especially important when one has a cut in/along a joint. You don't want any joint tissue to be bound down by scar tissue. You want to maintain flexibility through as much of its full range of motion as possible.

During healing and despite a little (pin prick type) pain, maybe, one wants to maintain as much range of motion (at the wound site), by moving (flexing, extending) normally. When scar tissue begins forming, one may feel pin-pricks of pain, during movement, as the scar tissue is torn (from its knot forming tendency) into a striated form (in alignment with normal undamaged tissue).

When scar tissue is stretched out, by range of motion movement, you're essentially re-injuring yourself at each those small pin-prick sites, hence the healing process starts over, there, and the overall healing time is/may be further extended.

Scar tissue is less vascular (no normal blood supply), than otherwise normal healing tissue, hence the possibility of the healing process being delayed.

Infection at a cut site may slow the healing process, as well. When you get a cut, you want it to bleed, at least a little. The bleeding "washes out" at least some infectious/infecting bugs. For large, really "dirty" cuts, physicians will leave a wound open (not stitched closed), so that the body's natural expulsion of the debris has an escape route (drainage). In more severe cases, especially infectious cases, packing (a sterile cotton strip of cloth) is inserted into a wound and the drainage can wick out much faster/easier, i.e., a more direct escape route.

When you DO cut yourself, allow it to bleed a little. Also, take note if the bleeding is in a slow running stream or in squirts. Slow running streams indicate a vein is cut. In squirts indicates an artery is cut. A cut artery may need more and specific attention paid to the treatment or treatment process.

About 2 months or so ago, I accidentally stabbed myself in the wrist, with a carving tool. I was very lucky not to have stabbed my radial artery or cut any flexor tendons. The sharpness of my tool was no factor with regard to the accident, itself, or the damage site. I probably needed a sharper eye and/or sharper mind.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 May 2018 08:03:45 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Great info and advice!

Glad to hear you came out ok on this.