Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathes

I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to
cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with the pipe still
locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat and face. Could have
took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at about 150lbs.
Always be cautious running any machinery, its all dangerous.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-816555-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

MF_BOSS m on Sat,
05 May 2018 03:44:03 GMT typed in rec.woodworking the following:
I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to
cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with the pipe still
locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat and face. Could have
took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at about 150lbs.
Always be cautious running any machinery, it’s all dangerous.

As the saying goes - those safety regulations are written in
blood. Which is to say enough people tried "it", and were "lucky"
until someone got killed.

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

MF_BOSS m wrote in
:

I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job
was to cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with
the pipe still locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat
and face. Could have took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in
weight at about 150lbs. Always be cautious running any machinery,
its all dangerous.

Have you figured out what caused it?

I've seen my Taig unscrew the chuck if the tool bit is still in the work
when the motor is shut off.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, MF_BOSS wrote:
I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to
cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with the pipe still
locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat and face. Could have
took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at about 150lbs.
Always be cautious running any machinery, its all dangerous.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-816555-.htm

Scary scary. Glad you're ok.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, MF_BOSS wrote:
I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to
cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with the pipe still
locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat and face. Could have
took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at about 150lbs.
Always be cautious running any machinery, its all dangerous.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-816555-.htm

Like the others, glad you were not seriously injured. It can happen so quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MF_BOSS" wrote in message I was running a lathe at
work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to
cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off
with the pipe still
locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat
and face. Could have
took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at
about 150lbs.
Always be cautious running any machinery, its all
dangerous.
--

Threaded on chuck? And cutting the far side
in reverse? shame shame ....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, MF_BOSS wrote:
I was running a lathe at work. I was working on a steel pipe, my job was to
cut a 30 degree bevel on one end. The whole chuck came off with the pipe still
locked in place. It hit me in the left arm,chest,throat and face. Could have
took my life. The chuck plus the pipe totaled in weight at about 150lbs.
Always be cautious running any machinery, its all dangerous.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...es-816555-.htm

I'm also wondering how this happened. Did the spindle break and thus the whole spindle, chuck and pipe were loose? Or did you turn the spindle in reverse and cut on the off side, thus untightening the chuck as you cut? Normally chucks are screwed onto the spindle so that when cutting, you are tightening the chuck onto the spindle as you cut. Kind of like if you put a nut onto a bolt and then always turned the nut to the right when handling the bolt/nut. You are always tightening the nut onto the bolt. It can't loosen. But if the spindle broke, and the spindle, chuck, pipe were all in the air, then yeah things can get dangerous.

Question about Holbrook lathes Dave UK diy 0 June 16th 04 08:08 AM
Hobby lathes Colin French Metalworking 0 October 12th 03 12:33 PM
tida and takisawa lathes fred Metalworking 0 August 31st 03 12:12 AM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 01:13 PM
lathes for a newbie Ron Thompson Metalworking 12 August 3rd 03 07:43 PM