Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bat Factory Tour!

On 4/21/2018 11:18 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 3:09:00 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/20/2018 9:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Common shape of break in a wooden bat. Note the single point.

https://sheepy712.files.wordpress.co...enbat2_485.jpg

Looking at the photo, I'm surprised some nanny group has not tried to
ban baseball. Too dangerous for children.

When I was a kid the pro teams used to give the cracked bats to young fans
in the stands. They'd take them home, tape them up and use them in their
sand lot games.

When I was a kid my best friends uncle was Stan "The Man" Musial. He
gave me one of his broken bats, which we taped up and tried to use. The
bat was WAY to big for 10 year olds, and the tape didn't hold up anyway.
The bat was in my Mom's house for at least 30-40 years and then
disappeared. Probably could have sold it to Rick Harrison on the Pawn
Stars show for some cash.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:13:25 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:
[...]

Not apples to apples, but good shape, game used Stan Musial bat with provenance: $13,668.00

https://lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=83611
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/27/2018 3:40 PM, Michael wrote:
[...]

Neat. Musial gave the bat to his nephew, same as my bat. Mine was
broken though, but it was broken by the man, I assume at a game. Maybe
I should search my mom's house a little harder. My mom probably thew it
out along with my boxes of baseball cards from the 50's...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 10:31:48 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:
[...]

My brother had a fairly extensive original set of Lionel Trains from the early
1950's. Besides the trains, there was a complete village set of the same
scale. Mom/Dad tossed it all when they moved from our childhood home to their
retirement home.

I don't recall exactly what was in the set (memory may have expanded it's
size over the years) but I see values of $500 to $1500 for the train set on
auction sites.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

My brother had a fairly extensive original set of Lionel Trains from
the early 1950's. Besides the trains, there was a complete village set
of the same scale. Mom/Dad tossed it all when they moved from our
childhood home to their retirement home.

I don't recall exactly what was in the set (memory may have expanded
it's size over the years) but I see values of $500 to $1500 for the
train set on auction sites.

Many Lionel sets just aren't that valuable, especially without the
original box. Still, if you've got one it's best to check their value
before doing anything with them.

FWIW, if anyone wants to get theirs fixed I know a guy. He handles the
Lionel repairs for the local hobby shop and has worked with them for much
longer than I have. (I handle the HO and N repairs.)

Puckdropper