Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Speaking Of Trim Work...How To Remove?

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 10:00:34 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Well, it is made of wood so...

I need to remove about 12' of 3 1/4" shoe base moulding. (It's pretty beat
up and I don't feel like stripping/filling it.) The problem is that the
bottom 1/4"+ is behind the luan/linoleum so it has to come up then out.

I did a 3' section by cutting the nails with my multi-function tool but I'm
wondering if there is an easier way. Getting to the bottom nails was more
poke-and-hope than I'd like. I guess I could rip the shoe base in half
(with the MF tool) to make it easier to get to the bottom nails.

Obviously, I can get this done, but I'm open to suggestions from the
wisdom of the wRec. This might be fun. ;-)

My removal plan worked out better than I thought.

Once I pried the top of the baseboard away from the wall a little bit and
"ripped" about a 2 foot section with the half moon blade on my MF saw, I
was able to grab the loose section and basically tear the top of the
baseboard from the wall.

https://i.imgur.com/7YxcElf.jpg

A little more prying of the bottom section and I was able to cut the nails
with the MF tool and lift the baseboard out.

Installation of the new is not going to be as easy as I thought, but I'm
almost there. First, "modern" baseboard is a little thicker than 65 YO
baseboard. Just over 1/2" for the new stuff, just under 1/2" for the old.
Therefore the new baseboard doesn't just slip between the luan and the
wall.

In addition, there's a 1 by nailer strip (I assume) that is just proud
of the wall in few spots. A couple of passes over the dado blade will
thin the bottom of the baseboard just enough to slide it in and keep it
plumb with the wall. Already tested that method and it'll work.

https://i.imgur.com/3gUv1eg.jpg