Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Kapex, First Use Impressions

Well some of you probably know that I received a Kapex and stand and
side extensions for Christmas. Thank you again my darling wife.

Unpacking was straight forward and darn little assembly was required. I
think I had to attach one section to the base stand and maybe the
handle..... Oh and the base attachments to the saw itself so that it
would attach to the stand. Quick and easy.

The stand, right and left extensions could not be any simpler to set up
and take down. Tightening 2 thumb screws and it is ready to go from
complete storage to ready to use.

The stand has a foot print of about 24" x 24". The saw and pretty much
the left and right extensions fit within that foot print when being
stored. EXACTLY what I was looking for. I have wanted to replace my 20
year old Delta CMS for years but really did not want to dedicate the
space in my shop for a miter saw station, so I did with out.

The saw/station and left and right extensions take about a minute to set
up, another big plus for me. I did not want something that I would
rather not use if I it was going to take much effort to set up. This
set up can be ready to cut stock repeatedly to 94.5" left or right of
the saw blade in about a minute.

Simply rotate a retainer lever on the stand to release the handle. Then
push the handle out of its friction retainers and then life/swing the
Kapex up and let the handle swing down and lock in the up right
position. That is about a 3~7 second maneuver, reversing is takes about
the same amount of time.

Left and right extensions have a cool little storage container that fits
on each end of the pair and hold them together when not in use. Once
out of the container you simply fold down a single leg one each and sit
the opposite end of the extension on to the v-grove on either side of
the Kapex. Reach under the extension and slide a lever about 1/2" and
tighten the thumb screw, done. Repeat for the other side.

Each side of the extensions can be adjusted to the same plane as the saw
table by simply twisting a thumb screw to adjust the angle of the leg.
Once you are close you probably do not have to make this adjustment very
often but this adjustment too only takes a few seconds for each side.
Each extension has a slide stop and rule, IN INCHES, for repeated cuts
up to about 58 inches. If you need longer cuts you loosen a thumb screw
on the back side of the extension and slide out another telescoping
extension up to 94.5" on both sides. One of my issues with cutting to
length accurately and repeatedly on the TS was the long lengths. Any
thing past 42" IIRC was tough to do. I had ways to do it but it was
time consuming.

While the stand and side extensions seem to have a minimal amount of
support it is quite sturdy. I watched a couple of Youtube videos where
the users climbed up on top of the side extension rails and stood or sat
on them.

The saw is relatively quiet, thank goodness, I'm certain that is because
of the soft start feature. It obviously cuts silky smooth, I would
expect this out of any new saw and blade. Miter and bevel settings are
quick and accurate. Setting the miter angle accurately is not tough on
most miter saws but setting the bevel angle can be tricky unless the
setting falls on a predetermined detent. With most miter saws the bevel
scale is relative small and the resolution of the scale is coarse. Add
to that, once the bevel lock is released you are having to hold the
weight of the saw motor assembly in position while you adjust and
tighten the locking lever. With detents this is not too bad but go for
40 degrees and test cuts will likely be needed to insure it ended up at
that setting. With the Kapex the saw motor assembly is counter
balanced. You lift the bevel lock lever and push the assembly to the
bevel angle you want, it stays there with out having to hold the saw
assembly even before you lower the lock lever. Then on top of that
feature you can rotate the handle on the right side of the slide and you
can dial in the bevel angle with a higher degree of accuracy. The bevel
scale is LARGE and on both sides of the saw. The scale is approximately
8" out from the pivot point. Each degree marking on the scale is
approximately 1/8" from the next degree marking. On many miter saws
this scale is approximately 2~3 inches from the pivot point and you can
hardly tell where the pointer is pointing. Both the miter and bevel
settings are spot on from the factory.

Another feature I like is the hold down clamp. Typically you get a
clamp that you need to screw several revolutions to adjust, tighten or
loosen. The Kapex clamp has a rod to push down or lift up and then a
lock down lever. When adjusting the clamp the hold down piston stays at
the height that you lift it whether the lock is engaged or not.
Basically when you unlock and lift the hold down piston and remove the
work it does not fall to the table surface when you let go. It easily
moves from one side to the other of the saw with out using any locking
screws to hold it into position.

The Kapex uses 2 lasers. Properly adjusted the blade removes the
material between the 2 laser lines. I doubt that I will use this very
much since I have the accurate fence stops on both sides for repeatable
cuts but if I were doing rough carpentry I would probably use this
feature more. Mine seemed to be set correctly for the right side of the
cut but appears to be about 1/32" off on the left side of the cut.
There are 3 adjustment screws for each laser line.

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I need
to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the TS.
This might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that needs to
be cut.

Dust collection is pretty good and I did not really realize this until I
forgot to attach the vac and I had a rooster tail of dust come flying
out of the exhaust port. With the vac it certainly keeps the dust, that
it does not catch, to a minimum and a close radius to the saw.

For narrow stock, like base board moldings, the saw will cut 6.875"
deep. For normal 3/4" thick stock it appears it can cross cut 10" wide
at 90 degrees.

The saw actually has cord storage that also acts as a lift handle and
tool storage. The saw weighs in at about 47 lbs. It and the stand
probably weigh about 69 lbs. Because of the small foot print when in
the closed position it should be relatively easy to load in the back of
my truck if I need to work on site some where else.

Soooooo will this saw every pay for itself? For me I don't see that
happening, but maybe. Because it is so easy and quick to set up and
take down perhaps it will. I will probably not give it a second thought
to pull it out to make even a single cut. For an every day pro, I can
see it paying for it self providing it does not walk off. ;~) There is
a Youtube video of a pro that is giving a review of his Kapex. IIRC he
has been using it on job sites for 7 years. I will add that the saw
looks less than pristine, the guard is long gone and a lot of the paint
is gone. He still swears by it.

I like it, a lot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:41:36 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Happy mitering !
Just for a giggle, I checked the Canadian prices at Lee Valley :
: Kapex KS 120 EB saw 1920.
: mobile stand with extensions 1210.
13 % Ontario sales tax 407.

... plus new locks on the workshop ! :-)
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
Well some of you probably know that I received a Kapex and stand and
side extensions for Christmas.Â* Thank you again my darling wife.

Unpacking was straight forward and darn little assembly was required.Â* I
think I had to attach one section to the base stand and maybe the
handle.....Â* Oh and the base attachments to the saw itself so that it
would attach to the stand.Â* Quick and easy.

The stand, right and left extensions could not be any simpler to set up
and take down. TighteningÂ* 2 thumb screws and it is ready to go from
complete storage to ready to use.

The stand has a foot print of about 24" x 24". The saw and pretty much
the left and right extensions fit within that foot print when being
stored.Â* EXACTLY what I was looking for.Â* I have wanted to replace my 20
year old Delta CMS for years but really did not want to dedicate the
space in my shop for a miter saw station, so I did with out.

The saw/station and left and right extensions take about a minute to set
up, another big plus for me.Â* I did not want something that I would
rather not use if I it was going to take much effort to set up.Â* This
set up can be ready to cut stock repeatedly to 94.5" left or right of
the saw blade in about a minute.

Simply rotate a retainer lever on the stand to release the handle.Â* Then
push the handle out of its friction retainers and then life/swing the
Kapex up and let the handle swing down and lock in the up right
position.Â* That is about a 3~7 second maneuver, reversing is takes about
the same amount of time.

Left and right extensions have a cool little storage container that fits
on each end of the pair and hold them together when not in use.Â* Once
out of the container you simply fold down a single leg one each and sit
the opposite end of the extension on to the v-grove on either side of
the Kapex.Â* Reach under the extension and slide a lever about 1/2" and
tighten the thumb screw, done.Â* Repeat for the other side.

Each side of the extensions can be adjusted to the same plane as the saw
table by simply twisting a thumb screw to adjust the angle of the leg.
Once you are close you probably do not have to make this adjustment very
often but this adjustment too only takes a few seconds for each side.
Each extension has a slide stop and rule, IN INCHES, for repeated cuts
up to about 58 inches.Â* If you need longer cuts you loosen a thumb screw
on the back side of the extension and slide out another telescoping
extension up to 94.5" on both sides.Â* One of my issues with cutting to
length accurately and repeatedly on the TS was the long lengths.Â* Any
thing past 42" IIRC was tough to do.Â* I had ways to do it but it was
time consuming.

While the stand and side extensions seem to have a minimal amount of
support it is quite sturdy.Â* I watched a couple of Youtube videos where
the users climbed up on top of the side extension rails and stood or sat
on them.

The saw is relatively quiet, thank goodness, I'm certain that is because
of theÂ* soft start feature.Â* It obviously cuts silky smooth, I would
expect this out of any new saw and blade.Â* Miter and bevel settings are
quick and accurate.Â* Setting the miter angle accurately is not tough on
most miter saws but setting the bevel angle can be tricky unless the
setting falls on a predetermined detent.Â* With most miter saws the bevel
scale is relative small and the resolution of the scale is coarse.Â* Add
to that, once the bevel lock is released you are having to hold the
weight of the saw motor assembly in position while you adjust and
tighten the locking lever.Â* With detents this is not too bad but go for
40 degrees and test cuts will likely be needed to insure it ended up at
that setting.Â* With the Kapex the saw motor assembly is counter
balanced.Â* You lift the bevel lock lever and push the assembly to the
bevel angle you want, it stays there with out having to hold the saw
assembly even before you lower the lock lever.Â* Then on top of that
feature you can rotate the handle on the right side of the slide and you
can dial in the bevel angle with a higher degree of accuracy.Â* The bevel
scale is LARGE and on both sides of the saw.Â* The scale is approximately
8" out from the pivot point.Â* Each degree marking on the scale is
approximately 1/8" from the next degree marking.Â* On many miter saws
this scale is approximately 2~3 inches from the pivot point and you can
hardly tell where the pointer is pointing.Â* Both the miter and bevel
settings are spot on from the factory.

Another feature I like is the hold down clamp.Â* Typically you get a
clamp that you need to screw several revolutions to adjust, tighten or
loosen.Â* The Kapex clamp has a rod to push down or lift up and then a
lock down lever.Â* When adjusting the clamp the hold down piston stays at
the height that you lift it whether the lock is engaged or not.
Basically when you unlock and lift the hold down piston and remove the
work it does not fall to the table surface when you let go.Â* It easily
moves from one side to the other of the saw with out using any locking
screws to hold it into position.

The Kapex uses 2 lasers.Â* Properly adjusted the blade removes the
material between the 2 laser lines.Â* I doubt that I will use this very
much since I have the accurate fence stops on both sides for repeatable
cuts but if I were doing rough carpentry I would probably use this
feature more.Â* Mine seemed to be set correctly for the right side of the
cut but appears to be about 1/32" off on the left side of the cut. There
are 3 adjustment screws for each laser line.

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I need
to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the TS. This
might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that needs to
be cut.

Dust collection is pretty good and I did not really realize this until I
forgot to attach the vac and I had a rooster tail of dust come flying
out of the exhaust port.Â* With the vac it certainly keeps the dust, that
it does not catch, to a minimum and a close radius to the saw.

For narrow stock, like base board moldings, the saw will cut 6.875"
deep.Â* For normal 3/4" thick stock it appears it can cross cut 10" wide
at 90 degrees.

The saw actually has cord storage that also acts as a lift handle and
tool storage.Â* The saw weighs in at about 47 lbs.Â* It and the stand
probably weigh about 69 lbs.Â* Because of the small foot print when in
the closed position it should be relatively easy to load in the back of
my truck if I need to work on site some where else.

SooooooÂ* will this saw every pay for itself?Â* For me I don't see that
happening, but maybe.Â* Because it is so easy and quick to set up and
take down perhaps it will.Â* I will probably not give it a second thought
to pull it out to make even a single cut.Â* For an every day pro, I can
see it paying for it self providing it does not walk off.Â* ;~)Â* There is
a Youtube video of a pro that is giving a review of his Kapex.Â* IIRC he
has been using it on job sites for 7 years.Â* I will add that the saw
looks less than pristine, the guard is long gone and a lot of the paint
is gone.Â* He still swears by it.

I like it, a lot.

I hate you.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Nice review. Thanks! I'll probably put it on my short list. I like
my Bosch but it just takes too much floor space (too far from the
wall). I'd put it in a miter station with at least a clear 8' on
either end. I have a perfect place for it.

Leon! Look over there! ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

WOW! that is almost 40% more.
Drive out for me $2586.

How much for the locks? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Where? ;~)

Looks like you are able to sit up in bed and take nourishment!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/2018 6:23 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/12/18 4:41 PM, Leon wrote:
Well some of you probably know that I received a Kapex and stand and
side extensions for Christmas.Â* Thank you again my darling wife.

Unpacking was straight forward and darn little assembly was required.
I think I had to attach one section to the base stand and maybe the
handle.....Â* Oh and the base attachments to the saw itself so that it
would attach to the stand.Â* Quick and easy.

The stand, right and left extensions could not be any simpler to set
up and take down. TighteningÂ* 2 thumb screws and it is ready to go
from complete storage to ready to use.

The stand has a foot print of about 24" x 24". The saw and pretty much
the left and right extensions fit within that foot print when being
stored.Â* EXACTLY what I was looking for.Â* I have wanted to replace my
20 year old Delta CMS for years but really did not want to dedicate
the space in my shop for a miter saw station, so I did with out.

The saw/station and left and right extensions take about a minute to
set up, another big plus for me.Â* I did not want something that I
would rather not use if I it was going to take much effort to set up.
This set up can be ready to cut stock repeatedly to 94.5" left or
right of the saw blade in about a minute.

Simply rotate a retainer lever on the stand to release the handle.
Then push the handle out of its friction retainers and then life/swing
the Kapex up and let the handle swing down and lock in the up right
position.Â* That is about a 3~7 second maneuver, reversing is takes
about the same amount of time.

Left and right extensions have a cool little storage container that
fits on each end of the pair and hold them together when not in use.
Once out of the container you simply fold down a single leg one each
and sit the opposite end of the extension on to the v-grove on either
side of the Kapex.Â* Reach under the extension and slide a lever about
1/2" and tighten the thumb screw, done.Â* Repeat for the other side.

Each side of the extensions can be adjusted to the same plane as the
saw table by simply twisting a thumb screw to adjust the angle of the
leg. Once you are close you probably do not have to make this
adjustment very often but this adjustment too only takes a few seconds
for each side.
Each extension has a slide stop and rule, IN INCHES, for repeated cuts
up to about 58 inches.Â* If you need longer cuts you loosen a thumb
screw on the back side of the extension and slide out another
telescoping extension up to 94.5" on both sides.Â* One of my issues
with cutting to length accurately and repeatedly on the TS was the
long lengths.Â* Any thing past 42" IIRC was tough to do.Â* I had ways to
do it but it was time consuming.

While the stand and side extensions seem to have a minimal amount of
support it is quite sturdy.Â* I watched a couple of Youtube videos
where the users climbed up on top of the side extension rails and
stood or sat on them.

The saw is relatively quiet, thank goodness, I'm certain that is
because of theÂ* soft start feature.Â* It obviously cuts silky smooth, I
would expect this out of any new saw and blade.Â* Miter and bevel
settings are quick and accurate.Â* Setting the miter angle accurately
is not tough on most miter saws but setting the bevel angle can be
tricky unless the setting falls on a predetermined detent.Â* With most
miter saws the bevel scale is relative small and the resolution of the
scale is coarse.Â* Add to that, once the bevel lock is released you are
having to hold the weight of the saw motor assembly in position while
you adjust and tighten the locking lever.Â* With detents this is not
too bad but go for 40 degrees and test cuts will likely be needed to
insure it ended up at that setting.Â* With the Kapex the saw motor
assembly is counter balanced.Â* You lift the bevel lock lever and push
the assembly to the bevel angle you want, it stays there with out
having to hold the saw assembly even before you lower the lock lever.
Then on top of that feature you can rotate the handle on the right
side of the slide and you can dial in the bevel angle with a higher
degree of accuracy.Â* The bevel scale is LARGE and on both sides of the
saw.Â* The scale is approximately 8" out from the pivot point.Â* Each
degree marking on the scale is approximately 1/8" from the next degree
marking.Â* On many miter saws this scale is approximately 2~3 inches
from the pivot point and you can hardly tell where the pointer is
pointing.Â* Both the miter and bevel settings are spot on from the
factory.

Another feature I like is the hold down clamp.Â* Typically you get a
clamp that you need to screw several revolutions to adjust, tighten or
loosen.Â* The Kapex clamp has a rod to push down or lift up and then a
lock down lever.Â* When adjusting the clamp the hold down piston stays
at the height that you lift it whether the lock is engaged or not.
Basically when you unlock and lift the hold down piston and remove the
work it does not fall to the table surface when you let go.Â* It easily
moves from one side to the other of the saw with out using any locking
screws to hold it into position.

The Kapex uses 2 lasers.Â* Properly adjusted the blade removes the
material between the 2 laser lines.Â* I doubt that I will use this very
much since I have the accurate fence stops on both sides for
repeatable cuts but if I were doing rough carpentry I would probably
use this feature more.Â* Mine seemed to be set correctly for the right
side of the cut but appears to be about 1/32" off on the left side of
the cut. There are 3 adjustment screws for each laser line.

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I
need to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the
TS. This might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that
needs to
be cut.

Dust collection is pretty good and I did not really realize this until
I forgot to attach the vac and I had a rooster tail of dust come
flying out of the exhaust port.Â* With the vac it certainly keeps the
[...]

a lot of the paint is gone.Â* He still swears by it.

I like it, a lot.

I hate you.

I get that a lot from you...... ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

....First part of a great review snipped...

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I need
to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the TS.
This might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that needs to
be cut.

Have you tried the dado feature yet? My Bosch glider has a dado feature
but it didn't impress me. I know I'm going way out on a limb comparing
any single feature of a Bosch saw to the same feature of a Kapex, but
I'm curious about the quality of the dado. As you said, the laser might be
OK for rough work, so I wonder if the dado feature is in the same realm.

....Second part of a great review snipped...

I like it, a lot.

Mike may hate you, I'm just jealous.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:45:27 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

...First part of a great review snipped...

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I need
to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the TS.
This might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that needs to
be cut.

Have you tried the dado feature yet? My Bosch glider has a dado feature
but it didn't impress me. I know I'm going way out on a limb comparing
any single feature of a Bosch saw to the same feature of a Kapex, but
I'm curious about the quality of the dado. As you said, the laser might be
OK for rough work, so I wonder if the dado feature is in the same realm.

The "laser" on my Bosch works really well. It's on the hub, so it
really has to be aligned.

...Second part of a great review snipped...

I like it, a lot.

Mike may hate you, I'm just jealous.

No, Leon definitely sucks. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 4:41:55 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Well some of you probably know that I received a Kapex and stand and
side extensions for Christmas. Thank you again my darling wife.

- Just for a giggle, I checked the Canadian prices at Lee Valley :

: Kapex KS 120 EB saw 1920.
: mobile stand with extensions 1210.
13 % Ontario sales tax 407.

I'm gonna spray paint my 30 yr old sawbuck green, $5.45.

Good for you, Leon. And ^5 for the Mrs.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

...First part of a great review snipped...

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I need
to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the TS.
This might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that needs to
be cut.

Have you tried the dado feature yet? My Bosch glider has a dado feature
but it didn't impress me.

I have not used it yet. I will say that it requires an auxiliary fence so
that the blade will go through the cut. Because the depth stop prevents the
blade from plunging fully the back side of the dado will be rounded with
out an aux. fence to position the work forward.

There is a screw/lever that you pull forward to engage the depth stop. You
turn the lever to adjust stop depth. Returning the lever to the neutral
position allows a full depth cut and does not disturb the previously set
cutting depth.

Accuracy of the dado cut will depend on placement of the outer cuts. I
think with the adjustable stops on the left and right extensions coupled
with the "Kerf Maker" repeatable dados can be cut.

I know I'm going way out on a limb comparing
any single feature of a Bosch saw to the same feature of a Kapex, but
I'm curious about the quality of the dado. As you said, the laser might be
OK for rough work, so I wonder if the dado feature is in the same realm.

...Second part of a great review snipped...

I like it, a lot.

Mike may hate you, I'm just jealous.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 4:41:55 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Well some of you probably know that I received a Kapex and stand and
side extensions for Christmas. Thank you again my darling wife.

- Just for a giggle, I checked the Canadian prices at Lee Valley :

: Kapex KS 120 EB saw 1920.
: mobile stand with extensions 1210.
13 % Ontario sales tax 407.

I'm gonna spray paint my 30 yr old sawbuck green, $5.45.

Good for you, Leon. And ^5 for the Mrs.

Sonny

Thanks Sonny. She is good to me. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 11:20:20 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Thanks Sonny. She is good to me. :-)

Hah! That's an understatement!

OTOH, it's not like you haven't used all those great tools to build a house full of artisan furniture...!! And sold another house full along the way. Meh... she might see you as a good investment.

LOL!!!

I saw the saw when I visited Leon and his lovely this last Christmas. From a practical standpoint, I have to say Festool didn't miss a trick on this saw. I put Leon on the spot to set it up like he would if the saw went into the field. He had only assembled it once or twice, but with my watch set, it still took less than two minutes to lift the saw, pull out the extensions on both sides, and extend their feet. Pretty unbelievable when you see in person how solid it is when set up. Cuts? Smooth as glass, even on crappy, splintery plywood scraps.

Hey... come to think of it, may I don't like Leon either... nah.

I think it's just the green eyed Festool monster.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to nailshooter41, Marlow wrote:
Wipe your chin, Bobby, you have a little Leon on it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...ns-813699-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 11:17 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That is an important feature.

Accuracy of the dado cut will depend on placement of the outer cuts. I
think with the adjustable stops on the left and right extensions coupled
with the "Kerf Maker" repeatable dados can be cut.

It also comes with that Miterfast angle transfer thingie.
Seeing that in the store is what inspired me to buy the Bora MiteriX.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:53:24 +0000, "rec.woodworking.festool.felching"
wrote:

,-,-
,' `
/ \
(___________)))
|(') (')| / /
| (_) |/ /
| ,- / /
,' /
/ /| |
/ / | |
\ \ | |
(( | |
,'` ` `
/ ` ` ` ` `\
|``` ` ``` |
` _`,' `_,'

Great ASCII self portrait!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 10:55:39 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/12/18 11:17 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Same here. Have you used it yet? I was disappointed that it didn't
do an outside angle of more than about 120-degrees (though I've only
played with it for a few minutes). I was hoping it would extend to at
least 80-degrees.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/13/2018 10:55 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/12/18 11:17 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 5:41:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

...First part of a great review snipped...

Dado's can be cut with this saw and this might come in handy when I
need
to cut another and I have already removed the dado set from the TS.
This might even be handy for the single odd dado or notch that needs to
be cut.

Have you tried the dado feature yet? My Bosch glider has a dado feature
but it didn't impress me.

I have not used it yet.Â* I will say that it requires an auxiliary
fence so
that the blade will go through the cut. Because the depth stop
prevents the
blade from plunging fully the back side of the dado will be rounded with
out an aux. fence to position the work forward.

There is a screw/lever that you pull forward to engage the depth
stop.Â* You
turn the lever to adjust stop depth.Â* Returning the lever to the neutral
position allows a full depth cut and does not disturb the previously set
cutting depth.

That is an important feature.

Accuracy of the dado cut will depend on placement of the outer cuts.Â* I
think with the adjustable stops on the left and right extensions coupled
with the "Kerf Maker"Â* repeatable dados can be cut.

It also comes with that Miterfast angle transfer thingie.
Seeing that in the store is what inspired me to buy the Bora MiteriX.

Yeah I left that out. I have not used that yet either. The Bora looks
pretty good too. I also see that Bora is getting into the Bessy K-Body
clone camp.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 1/12/18 11:17 PM, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It has helped me out greatly in a few critical situations.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--