Posted to rec.woodworking

Default floor style

this style is not one i would choose

have to admit that have not seen this in person before

maybe it is meant to offset the formal furniture

or is it an old style where you need less long boards to complete the
floor

http://heartpine.com/wp-content/uplo...Pine-Midnight-
MHP-1-1030x834.jpg

also interesing to see where some flooring is perpindicular to the entrances
and some is parallel

for a long entry the perpendicular looks better to my eye

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 4:30:49 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:

http://heartpine.com/wp-content/uplo...Pine-Midnight-
MHP-1-1030x834.jpg

I like it.

I wonder if the wood is suppose to be heart pine. I suspect it might be salvaged 6" pine sub-wall type boards.... it looks just like my bedroom & great room flooring.... but that flooring has no nail hole type defects. To me, the grain is too wide for heart pine. It doesn't look like old tight-grained heart pine. Also, good tight-grained heart pine is usually not 6" wide, as I know it..... it's either 2", 3" 4" wide or very wide (and thick) planks, though we can't tell the thickness in the pics.

Good old heart pine would be more red in color, also, I think.

I see one edge, against the right wall, is perpendicular to the central boards. That's a neat edging feature, but that feature makes it look a little too busy, maybe. There's enough busyness in the different board's grain (and furniture), so that edging is a little too much, maybe.

That space needs an old thick real heart pine table, not the one that's there!

also interesing to see where some flooring is perpindicular to the entrances and some is parallel
for a long entry the perpendicular looks better to my eye

The main link, for those other floors, would have helped. Those comments were a little confusing, at first.
http://heartpine.com/

After looking further, your original link floor doesn't look like their own "recovered heart pine" labeled flooring. It looks like their Old Florida.. The Old Florida looks like my salvaged subwall pine boards, now my flooring.
http://heartpine.com/flooring-selection/old-florida/

I suppose it depends on who defines the lumber... to a possible unknowing customer.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 15:25:21 -0800 (PST), Sonny
wrote:

I wonder if the wood is suppose to be heart pine.

Do not know but check out the web site.

http://heartpine.com/
Member

I like but you chose hard timber
You check our websites.
These are very informative and helpful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2017 5:30 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

this style is not one i would choose

have to admit that have not seen this in person before

maybe it is meant to offset the formal furniture

or is it an old style where you need less long boards to complete the
floor

http://heartpine.com/wp-content/uplo...Pine-Midnight-
MHP-1-1030x834.jpg

also interesing to see where some flooring is perpindicular to the entrances
and some is parallel

for a long entry the perpendicular looks better to my eye

That pattern works OK for a relatively small, square room, drawing the
eye to the table as the centerpiece.

Unfortunately, there is an extreme mismatch between the furniture style
and the flooring, which is too rustic. The flooring should have been
something knot-free, with tighter, straighter grain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 06:20:09 -0500, Larry Kraus
wrote:

On 12/26/2017 5:30 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

this style is not one i would choose

have to admit that have not seen this in person before

maybe it is meant to offset the formal furniture

or is it an old style where you need less long boards to complete the
floor

http://heartpine.com/wp-content/uplo...Pine-Midnight-
MHP-1-1030x834.jpg

also interesing to see where some flooring is perpindicular to the entrances
and some is parallel

for a long entry the perpendicular looks better to my eye

That pattern works OK for a relatively small, square room, drawing the
eye to the table as the centerpiece.

It would work with a rectangular room, too, with a similarly
rectangular table. I don't think the difference in the geometry can
be that great and still have it look good though. I don't think I
would build a room around a piece of furniture, though.

Unfortunately, there is an extreme mismatch between the furniture style
and the flooring, which is too rustic. The flooring should have been
something knot-free, with tighter, straighter grain.

Again, I don't think I'd build a room around a piece of furniture but
I'd probably do the same because it would be less offensive with any
decor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote:

That pattern works OK for a relatively small, square room, drawing
the eye to the table as the centerpiece.

well the style may also be born from necessity as fewer long boards
are required

Unfortunately, there is an extreme mismatch between the furniture
style and the flooring, which is too rustic. The flooring should
have been something knot-free, with tighter, straighter grain.

mismatches are sometimes purposeful and are a style

that combo does not look good to me

Member

Alright you are confused in this region.