Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blue Shop Towels Cause Rusting?

Doing a little maintenance around the shop, decided to change the jointer blades. 6 to 8 months ago, I had 2 sets of blades sharpened and rolled them in the blue shop towels, for storage.

I discovered all the blades have developed rust spots. I suppose the towel's acid caused the rusting. The towels were stuck to the blades at the points of rust. There was no signs of any discoloring/blemishing on the outside of the wrappings, so I doubt the cause was from an exterior contaminate, migrating inward.

Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I have older sets of blades wrapped in regular paper towels and in brown paper bags... no rusting on these.

I had planer blades sharpened at the same time as the jointer blades. Planer blades were stored in their designated cases. No rust on these, so whatever caused the rusting didn't come from the sharpener.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Wish I had an 8 inch jointer.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2017 4:23 PM, G Ross wrote:
Sonny wrote:
[...]

Wish I had a 12 inch jointer :-)

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 12:54:52 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

It was moisture in the blue towel -if you oil the towel lightly first
the blade won't rust because with the oil there, it cannot absorb
moisture.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote in
:

On 7/27/2017 4:23 PM, G Ross wrote:
Wish I had an 8 inch jointer.

Wish I had a 12 inch jointer :-)

Wish I had a self-leveling board, so I wouldn't need a jointer. :-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Jul 2017 21:13:39 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

woodchucker wrote in
:

On 7/27/2017 4:23 PM, G Ross wrote:
Wish I had an 8 inch jointer.

Wish I had a 12 inch jointer :-)

Wish I had a self-leveling board, so I wouldn't need a jointer. :-)

Puckdropper

You can only use the self leveling board once - then you are back to
needing the jointer - - -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Wish I had 8" of anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-07-27, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wish I had 8" of anything.

So does yer wife.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It may not be acid in the towels, rather that they're absorbing water
from the air. I had this problem with a pistol case. It had a canvas
spine that absorbed water and rusted the stainless steel along the top
of the barrel and back of the grips. Rust on a $1500 gun sorta ****ed
me off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I'm married. I wouldn't know what to do with it. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry to hear that. After 33 years we both still know what to do with it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-07-27, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wish I had 8" of anything.

So does yer wife.

nb

4" twice is just as good
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-07-27, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wish I had 8" of anything.

So does yer wife.

Probably not, as the average depth is about 5".
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I think I would agree, probably sweat. I have not seen an issue with
those towels, Scott blue shop paper towels, in 20+ years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

46, but who's counting. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-07-27, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wish I had 8" of anything.

So does yer wife.

nb

4" twice is just as good

Use it twice as often.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

I guess those that don't know what to do with it anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
[...]

Or... Those who talk about doing it, talk about doing it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wish I had a shaving horse.

Use the blue ones all the time and no rust.
Probably moisture from the air.

Sonny was heard to mutter:
[...]

---
http://www.avg.com