Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blue Shop Towels Cause Rusting?

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 17:06:13 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 4:23 PM, G Ross wrote:
Sonny wrote:
Doing a little maintenance around the shop, decided to change the
jointer blades. 6 to 8 months ago, I had 2 sets of blades sharpened
and rolled them in the blue shop towels, for storage.

I discovered all the blades have developed rust spots. I suppose the
towel's acid caused the rusting. The towels were stuck to the
blades at the points of rust. There was no signs of any
discoloring/blemishing on the outside of the wrappings, so I doubt the
cause was from an exterior contaminate, migrating inward.

Scroll right for 2 more pics.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

I have older sets of blades wrapped in regular paper towels and in
brown paper bags... no rusting on these.

I had planer blades sharpened at the same time as the jointer
blades. Planer blades were stored in their designated cases. No
rust on these, so whatever caused the rusting didn't come from the
sharpener.

Sonny

Wish I had an 8 inch jointer.

Wish I had a 12 inch jointer :-)

I'm married. I wouldn't know what to do with it. ;-)