Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vintage Craftsman Planer

If anyone is familiar with this

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psbhg2aztv.jpg

Could you tell me the diameter of the motor pulley? Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/28/2017 5:49 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
If anyone is familiar with this

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psbhg2aztv.jpg

Could you tell me the diameter of the motor pulley? Thanks!

Search OWWM; I've never seen that before, though. Interesting.

But, set it up so the cutterhead is running in the range of 3650-5000
SFM and it'll be fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Thanks, that should be easy to figure out!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:51:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 05/28/2017 5:49 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
If anyone is familiar with this

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psbhg2aztv.jpg

Could you tell me the diameter of the motor pulley? Thanks!

Search OWWM; I've never seen that before, though. Interesting.

But, set it up so the cutterhead is running in the range of 3650-5000
SFM and it'll be fine.

--

Here is an old ad for it.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...338w377. jpeg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 8:06:41 AM UTC-5, Bob Villa wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 7:51:11 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 05/28/2017 5:49 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
If anyone is familiar with this

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...psbhg2aztv.jpg

Could you tell me the diameter of the motor pulley? Thanks!

Search OWWM; I've never seen that before, though. Interesting.

But, set it up so the cutterhead is running in the range of 3650-5000
SFM and it'll be fine.

--

Here is an old ad for it.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...338w377. jpeg

Holy Crap...it says in the ad about the diameter of the pulley...but it seems slow!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/28/2017 8:11 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

Holy Crap...it says in the ad about the diameter of the pulley...but it seems slow!

4200 rpm is right in the sweet spot I mentioned???

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/28/2017 10:48 AM, dpb wrote:
On 05/28/2017 8:11 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

Holy Crap...it says in the ad about the diameter of the pulley...but
it seems slow!

4200 rpm is right in the sweet spot I mentioned???

Oopsies! I misread (it's _awfully_ fine print! is my story and I'm
stickin' to it! ) the diameter as 3+" instead of 2-5/8". At 4200
rpm, that is a little under 3000 sfpm which is a little low, granted.

But, that's a pretty small machine; from the original picture had
thought it quite a bit larger so I'm guessing feeder speed is pretty
slow which will counteract the problem.

Also, bearings probably not the _most_ robust, altho of that vintage
things were just typically quite a lot more robust so that's likely not
a real concern.

Might push it a little beyond that target; I'd not want to get carried
away, though...