ToeKnee

Default Craftsman 109 series lathe (Dunlop vintage)... How do you disassemble the headstock?

ok, i've searched and searched, yet have no results as to how i can
get the headstock on my 109.0703 lathe apart. i want to remove the
spindle and everything else associated with it so i can clean it up,
replace and repair anything i need to. does anyone have any advice?
links? pics? online manuals?

i'm aware there's multiple places to purchase papers on these lathes,
and i plan on doing so soon. problem is, i want to take care of this
over the weekend, and thus obviously don't have time for snailmail.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
jim rozen

In article , ToeKnee says...

ok, i've searched and searched, yet have no results as to how i can
get the headstock on my 109.0703 lathe apart. i want to remove the
spindle and everything else associated with it so i can clean it up,
replace and repair anything i need to. does anyone have any advice?
links? pics? online manuals?

i'm aware there's multiple places to purchase papers on these lathes,
and i plan on doing so soon. problem is, i want to take care of this
over the weekend, and thus obviously don't have time for snailmail.

any help is greatly appreciated.

My recollection on these is, the headstock is a bit of a ship in a bottle.
It's been a while since I've done one but first off you need to remove
the stop collar on the backside of the spindle, I think it's split so
it will come right off. Then back off the thin hex nut that adjusts
the bronze front bearing (it's inside the headstock casting, in front
of the planetary gearset.

Then my memory gets a bit fuzzy as I think there's a setscrew
that's inside the planetary gearset that you need to loosen. I
think parts of the gearset can slide sideways on teh spindle
so you can get at it.

There's a woodruff key on the spindle that locks the sun
gear in place, so the spindle has to slide out the front till
you can extract the key, because the key won't pass by the
bronze front bearing. Once the key has been removed out the
side, the spindle drops out the front and teh planetary gearset
will come out the side then.

This is all through a glass very darkly because it's been a while
as I've said. Good luck.

Jim

please reply to:
ToeKnee

Thanks for the information everyone. After asking the guys over on the
Yahoo group, I have found out that my headstock has been modified in a
way that will probably require me to start over with all new parts.
The current setup works fine, and was actually done pretty well, but
I'm looking to get this thing back to the best it can be, and the
modified arbor and bearing system has to go.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
ToeKnee wrote:
Thanks for the information everyone. After asking the guys over on the
Yahoo group, I have found out that my headstock has been modified in a
way that will probably require me to start over with all new parts.
The current setup works fine, and was actually done pretty well, but
I'm looking to get this thing back to the best it can be, and the
modified arbor and bearing system has to go.

Hmm ... from what I have read about the 109 series lathes, "the
best it can be" and "factory original" are quite different animals. A
common problem with these is that a slightly over-enthusiastic cut can
bend the spindle -- and frequently does.

I suspect that the modified system which you have received is
*better* than the factory construction, so you might want to keep it as
it is. So -- if what you have works well, I would suggest keeping it.

Besides -- "all new parts" would require you to either make them
yourself (requiring another lathe), or to find someone else who is doing
that for others. There are no new "factory" parts any more --
especially for the spindle, which (as I said) frequently gets bent and
needs to be replaced.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Dave Foreman

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:54:32 -0500, Al A. wrote:

On 19 Nov 2004 14:07:56 -0800, (ToeKnee) wrote:

ok, i've searched and searched, yet have no results as to how i can
get the headstock on my 109.0703 lathe apart. i want to remove the
spindle and everything else associated with it so i can clean it up,
replace and repair anything i need to. does anyone have any advice?
links? pics? online manuals?

i'm aware there's multiple places to purchase papers on these lathes,
and i plan on doing so soon. problem is, i want to take care of this
over the weekend, and thus obviously don't have time for snailmail.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Sign up he

This is a great group of guys. Most all the info on these machines
that there is to be had is likely here. Search the message archives,
there are several posting on spindle replacement and headstock
rebuilding.
Hope that helps,
AL A.

Probably better to go here.

for the 109 group although the atlas_craftsman does have a little
109 info.
Dave F.