Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Resetting Full Extension Drawer Slides? - Knape & Vogt

A couple of years ago I built new drawers for my stick built kitchen
cabinets. I used these G-Series Knape & Vogt slides:

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...ose-p/1012.htm

I also used Swingman's mounting method:

http://tinyurl.com/SwingmansSlideMount

Now, I don't use the full extension feature very often, but it's nice to have
when needed. What I have found is that every now and then a drawer (and it
has happened to all of them) will stop about an inch less than full extension
when normal pulling tension is applied. A stronger pull will open the drawer
that final inch. After that, the drawer will open fully with no extra effort
needed. This will last a few months and then it'll stop that 1" short of full
again and require the extra effort.

It's no big deal, just a curiosity. (On the other hand, I know they will
open further, but other's may not.) In any case, is it normal that these
slides need to be "reset" every now and in order for them to open fully?
As I mentioned, it has happened to every one of them (8) at one time
or another.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2017 4:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Pretty much the nature of the beast. The little ball bearing carriage
tends to work its way forward or backward in the cabinet side of the
slide assembly. When it does that it reaches the end of its free travel
and you have to force it back into its more mid positioning.
I have had this happen with Accuride, KV and the G-Slide KV full
extension slides.

What seems to help is having a slightly looser fit to begin with, the
opening width and back a hair over 1" wider than the sides of the drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2017 5:20 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The last sentence should have read, 1" wider than the width of the drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 6:20:22 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well, that ain't gonna happen. ;-) Too late now but I'll keep that in mind
the next time I install slides.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/18/2017 7:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You can narrow the drawers slightly with a TS blade. On the bottom of
the sides, front to back, Just shave off enough to clear the slides, you
do not have to do the whole side.