Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finished the table

A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2017 5:00 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

Good looking table. The finish really brings out the nice grain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 4:00:56 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

I like it. Good job.

If I may, you might consider putting a Dutchman on the underside, spanning any suspect defect - crack or split. I put one on the underside of my walnut table, at just such suspect crack, and used the West System epoxy for the adhesive. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/20651292383/

And on this cedar table top - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/27099340231/
My heart Dr. wants this table, so I'm in the (slow) process of making trestle legs.... if they hold together (defected cedar stump stock).

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:00:54 -0700, Gramps' shop wrote:

A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with
a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece
of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural
and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Very fine indeed! I particularly like the way the walnut is echoed in the
leg of the table.

Cheers,
Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2017 5:00 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

Very nice Larry.I like it a lot

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramps' shop wrote:
A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

That is so beautiful. Something to be proud of.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/30/2017 4:00 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

Wow that looks great! On one end it looks like the walnut is sitting
in a couple of rabbets. On the other it look like it sits in a grove.
Was that your artistic way of dealing with a rough edge both sides of
the maple tops?

And how much did the crane cost to rent to drop that thing in place? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" was heard to mutter:
A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.
Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1
Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.
Larry

Very nice table. I have plans for a similar table that I have been
wanting to build for a few years. Thanks for sharing and the added
inspiration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:00:54 -0700, Gramps' shop wrote:

A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with
a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece
of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural
and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

I am particularly impressed by the fact you accomplished this level of
craftsmanship with tools readily available to the average home woodworker
without overcompensating. Great job!

http://i.cubeupload.com/mX26pm.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/nSE8CJ.jpg

--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Leon. I puzzled for a bit on how to marry the slabs. Rabbets seemed the easiest solution. Shop is in the basement. Wife helped me bring it upstairs. Trestle first then the top. Better than a treadmill stress test!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 12:16:08 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
Thanks, Leon. I puzzled for a bit on how to marry the slabs. Rabbets seemed the easiest solution. Shop is in the basement. Wife helped me bring it upstairs. Trestle first then the top. Better than a treadmill stress test!

Wife (^5) gets half the project credit. You have to prepare dinner for her.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gorgeous top! I really like the light sheen, and think the walnut strip down the middle adds a lot of personal character.

And the table actually looks really usable! I have seen more trestle tables than I can count that have large tops and the legs look like bridge abutments, with very little leg space left underneath them, and then the base of the legs wind up as foot rests with all the finish scraped off of them in a few months.

Those look very well proportioned.

Very nice job. Bet the wife is thrilled.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

Thanks, Leon. I puzzled for a bit on how to marry the slabs. Rabbets seemed the easiest solution. Shop is in the basement. Wife helped me bring it upstairs. Trestle first then the top. Better than a treadmill stress test!

Absolutely gorgeous.

But...

"she really had no choice but to exclaim she liked it

she was put on the spot"

;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 16:24:22 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

You sure do make a bold statement with your wood working. Very nice!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:00:54 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

A couple months ago I bought two sugar maple natural edge flitches with a few defects. Filled with West System epoxy. I decided to use a piece of walnut to marry the two. Finished with two coats of Watco natural and four coats of Minwax polycrilic. Trestle build with 6/4 hard maple.

Pix are at: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...ble&view_all=1

Thanks for the tips on the West System and Minwax.

Larry

Awesome table Larry, I like how you married the two halves. Very
clean.

The finished patio table ss UK diy 19 August 8th 16 08:17 PM
Finished Table jloomis Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 27th 10 11:16 PM
Shuffleboard Table finished Randy A[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 October 28th 07 06:38 PM
Shuffleboard Table finished Randy A[_2_] Woodworking 0 October 24th 07 04:50 AM
Just finished my new router table Steve Kreitler Woodworking 4 September 10th 03 08:04 PM