Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default The finished patio table

It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2016 18:58, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

That is superb. You should be proud.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2016 18:58, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Splendid job... Uncanny how close it is to the mental picture I had of
it as well!

(I like the stopped chamfers on the corners of the main post)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Lang
writes
On 04/08/2016 18:58, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

That is superb. You should be proud.

+1 in spades. Excellent.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04-Aug-16 6:58 PM, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Another hearty congrats from me. I couldn't have come close to managing
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Very nice. The real test of garden furniture is not how it looks now, but
how it looks in 5 years. ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 August 2016 18:59:02 UTC+1, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Lovely job. Don't forget to put in on the wiki

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 August 2016 22:47:17 UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 05/08/2016 13:40, tabbypurr wrote:

Lovely job. Don't forget to put in on the wiki

I wouldnt know how to and not convinced it is worthy of.

I would add that if you read my previous posts when I started this
project I had no idea how to construct this table, my starting point was
`I had some wood`
ONLY through advice, recommendations and guidance from this NG did I
even know where to start, what joints to use etc.

You succeeded, you made a nice table. No-one else did it. I bet some other folk would like to know how to copy it or use the methods in other projects.

My woodwork experience is:
School from 50 years ago.
A basic bench I built 26 years ago. (and still exists)
A fence 26 years ago and another 5 years ago.
To give an idea of my usage in DIY, I have a set of chisels I bought 39
years ago and they were sharpened for the first time last year! I am
still using a B&D jigsaw I bought 39 years ago, and my B&D workbench is
also 39 years old. I need to update :-)

So dont under estimate you own capabilities and the help that others can
give. I wouldnt have managed without you.

Not your only success then. We all come here & ask questions.
Nothing wrong with old tools, if they still work.

If you write down the basic method of making it & chuck in some piccies I can put it on the wiki for you. (Or explain how you can if you like - it's designed to be very easy.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2016 22:47, ss wrote:
On 05/08/2016 13:40, wrote:
Lovely job. Don't forget to put in on the wiki

I wouldnt know how to and not convinced it is worthy of.

Its a good looking result, and you went through an interesting design
and learning experience to get to it, so I would say that makes is very
worth of a write up.

I would add that if you read my previous posts when I started this
project I had no idea how to construct this table, my starting point was
`I had some wood`
ONLY through advice, recommendations and guidance from this NG did I
even know where to start, what joints to use etc.
My woodwork experience is:
School from 50 years ago.
A basic bench I built 26 years ago. (and still exists)
A fence 26 years ago and another 5 years ago.
To give an idea of my usage in DIY, I have a set of chisels I bought 39
years ago and they were sharpened for the first time last year! I am
still using a B&D jigsaw I bought 39 years ago, and my B&D workbench is
also 39 years old. I need to update :-)

Well some of my big workshop tools are older than me! My table saw was
made in 1948. my planer probably similar or not much later.

So dont under estimate you own capabilities and the help that others can
give. I wouldnt have managed without you.

Tell you what, drop me an email and I will make you a wiki account, and
create the start of an article for you. You can then slap some words in
and upload any pictures you have. I can upload the sketchup bits I did,
and then someone can make it look pretty for you. Hows that?

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2016 01:52, John Rumm wrote:

Tell you what, drop me an email and I will make you a wiki account, and
create the start of an article for you. You can then slap some words in
and upload any pictures you have. I can upload the sketchup bits I did,
and then someone can make it look pretty for you. Hows that?

Here is your starter outline:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._-_slatted_top

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 6:59:02 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Does one have to buy an iphone to see a picture of a patio table that could have been easier to make with a saw that costs more than a patio table, or will sensible computers as used by Microsoft's version of sensible computers, allow it?

What I did get were pictures of hexagonal tables that made no sense until I realised that I was looking at what I interpreted as advertisements intended to be seen by sensible people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/08/2016 02:14, John Rumm wrote:

Here is your starter outline:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._-_slatted_top

Thanks for that I will see what I can add over the weekend.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2016 08:47, ss wrote:
On 06/08/2016 02:14, John Rumm wrote:

Here is your starter outline:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._-_slatted_top

Thanks for that I will see what I can add over the weekend.

Drop me an email with your preferred wiki user name, so I can add a wiki
account for you (I will need to email you the password).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 August 2016 05:24:38 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 6:59:02 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
It has certainly brought home to me the need for a bandsaw, this would
have been so much easier, quicker and accurate than all the handsawing
and chiseling I had to do.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps9aveklis.jpg

Does one have to buy an iphone to see a picture of a patio table that could have been easier to make with a saw that costs more than a patio table, or will sensible computers as used by Microsoft's version of sensible computers, allow it?

What I did get were pictures of hexagonal tables that made no sense until I realised that I was looking at what I interpreted as advertisements intended to be seen by sensible people.

Bloody hell it is the same table. Why do you need a bandsaw for that?
The perimiter is 12 saw cuts and the centre is two per piece. A band saw will be uesless at chiselling or do you mean cutting the housing joints was difficult?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2016 09:28, Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

I make it 16 ;-)

band saw will be uesless at chiselling or do you mean cutting the
housing joints was difficult?

A bandsaw would make light work of the shaping of the feet, and could
also cut the chamfers on the main post. It could also do the half laps
for the base and cross members for the top support.

As with most of these things, if its the only powered cutting tool you
have, you will find a way to use it for many applications. (and everyone
needs to start somewhere)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/8/2016 3:59 PM, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I'd still have thought that a basic sliding chop saw would be the most
useful power tool to do the multiple angled cuts quickly and accurately.
A band saw takes up quite a lot of workshop space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 August 2016 16:34:01 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

I can't see either a chop saw or a band saw being the therapeutic effect that using hand tools to create something in a hobby provides. Especially on such a simple piece. If he need a band saw really then he might have more fun laying bricks or learning to paint.

But while I am mouthing-off may I just say what a pleasure it is to not open advert ****ten websites when you install NoScript or AdBlock. I am just playing with Linux Mint at the moment and was upset to find the OP's link was beset with them and my software was protecting me without my knowing.

You tend to forget such things until you watch a film or something in Youtube and then read comments about crapware spoiling it. At least I shall remember this -until the next time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Remind us, how are you getting on with your rocking chair powered
generator, or even just opening a tin?

Tim
--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 August 2016 18:16:39 UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:

I can't see either a chop saw or a band saw being the therapeutic effect that using hand tools to create something in a hobby provides.

Well there's another reason to DIY I'd never thought of.

NT