Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Patio Rood just finished.

Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......
john

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pat Rumsey Patio Roof IMGP6740.jpg (108.2 KB, 45 views)
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......
john

Looks great. Nice patio

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 18:48:49 -0700, jloomis wrote:

Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......
john

Looks Great.
What kind of wood? Is the patio blocks separated by wood stripes?

Paul T.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Patio Roof just finished.

"jloomis" wrote in message
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......

Looks pretty good, but I'm wondering about the metal brackets holding it all
together. They stand out quite a bit. Is there any way to hide them or
perhaps paint them a redwood colour?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Yes, Yes and of course yes.
Actually this is an easy method of attachment and used for certain jobs.
Depending on "job cost" and what I call "temperature" of job.
If this were a Japanese style, only wood showing, expensive, time consuming
art piece, I would of course use "Hidden Fasteners" larger beams, and fancy
cuts and notches etc.

This is more of a low profile, middle class, covered patio.
I was actually not hired to oil or paint the construction, and half way
through the job the lady asked me if I would.........Darn I say to
myself.....
The brackets are already attached, and I did not paint them.......
We usually spray them darker depending on paint style.....or stain....
Anyway.....

Compare it to a piece of handmade furniture and one bought at Costco.....

Some jobs require more attention to detail.
The owner is quite happy with this method.

I would prefer to build one as "Art Work" and that would be wonderful.
Finding a client who can afford that.....hummmm
john

"Upscale" wrote in message

"jloomis" wrote in message
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......

Looks pretty good, but I'm wondering about the metal brackets holding it
all
together. They stand out quite a bit. Is there any way to hide them or
perhaps paint them a redwood colour?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

So the "sheathing" for lack of a better term is polycarbonate? I haven't
used that before, but I'm about to undertake a similar project at my place.
Deck's already in place, but I want to cover the deck to minimize the bird
poop, and to block the direct sunlight that beats down on the guest quarters
I use for the library. So, easy to work with? How does it age? I assume
it blocks a fair bit of the sunlight? Sorry - nor sure what questions to
throw at you, but anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Thanks

v.

"Upscale" wrote in message

"jloomis" wrote in message
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......

Looks pretty good, but I'm wondering about the metal brackets holding it
all
together. They stand out quite a bit. Is there any way to hide them or
perhaps paint them a redwood colour?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi V,
Yes it is tough and strong.
You can bend it in half and it will not break.
Has a better shelf life than fiberglass. Long time in sun ok.......
It is polycarbonate
It also cancels out the bad sun's rays......
It is used for greenhouses
MotorCycle helmet face shield
Bullet proof glass applications. etc.....

Comes in a variety of color...Sheet or panel or waffle board look.
White is nice, and does help keep the sun from being too hot.

I used clear on my greenhouse.

I have used cell like panels for high end jobs....
Look on the internet for
Commercial Greenhouse Materials: Suntuf Corrugated Polycarbonate ...

Anyway it comes in many brands.........
john

"Upscale" wrote in message

"jloomis" wrote in message
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......

Looks pretty good, but I'm wondering about the metal brackets holding it
all
together. They stand out quite a bit. Is there any way to hide them or
perhaps paint them a redwood colour?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......
john

I don't envy the client. I did a small patio like this once and it was
like walking out of the house into an oven. Learned to prefer an
opaque roof.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've never not had any money so much
in my life.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
Hi V,
Yes it is tough and strong.
You can bend it in half and it will not break.
Has a better shelf life than fiberglass. Long time in sun ok.......
It is polycarbonate
It also cancels out the bad sun's rays......
It is used for greenhouses
MotorCycle helmet face shield
Bullet proof glass applications. etc.....

Comes in a variety of color...Sheet or panel or waffle board look.
White is nice, and does help keep the sun from being too hot.

I used clear on my greenhouse.

I have used cell like panels for high end jobs....
Look on the internet for
Commercial Greenhouse Materials: Suntuf Corrugated Polycarbonate ...

Anyway it comes in many brands.........

How's the cost compared to the old fiberglass flavor?

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I paid about 46.00 for a 2 x 16 ft sheet.
I am sure a person could get it for less.
I did not price the fiberglass since all I have had was problems with it.
It discolors, degrades, is brittle.........and in about 4 to 6 years it is
ready for replacement.
With Poly Carbonate, that is not the case.

so price is not the object.

john
"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
mmunications...
jloomis wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
I paid about 46.00 for a 2 x 16 ft sheet.
I am sure a person could get it for less.
I did not price the fiberglass since all I have had was problems with it.
It discolors, degrades, is brittle.........and in about 4 to 6 years it is
ready for replacement.
With Poly Carbonate, that is not the case.

so price is not the object.

Indeed. $46 isn't bad amortized over the next 25 years!
We're building a chicken coop and that would be a nice way to go for the
roof...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
In a recent poll, seven out of ten hard drives preferred Linux.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in message
I paid about 46.00 for a 2 x 16 ft sheet.
I am sure a person could get it for less.
I did not price the fiberglass since all I have had was problems with it.
It discolors, degrades, is brittle.........and in about 4 to 6 years it is
ready for replacement.
With Poly Carbonate, that is not the case.

so price is not the object.

The only down side that I think I see, if the pitch on the roof is slight,
is that crap collects up there. I replaced the roof on a neighbors see
through patio cover. Leaves and dirt simply did not wash off and over a
period of years you could see quite a science project growing on top. That
is going to happen with any material but the clear tends to expose it for
your viewing pleasure. ;~)

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Let me tell you John, LOL. Looks good!

But seriousely, I thought you got the bid I missed when I saw your picture.
As you can see from my picture the two houses look strikingly similar. In
February I gave a bid to add a patio cover in front of the French doors.
They wanted a bit more exotic and need to wait a while to save up the money.
LOL

"jloomis" wrote in message
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......
john

Attached Thumbnails
Patio Rood just finished.-dsc00499-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"jloomis" wrote in message
I paid about 46.00 for a 2 x 16 ft sheet.
I am sure a person could get it for less.
I did not price the fiberglass since all I have had was problems with it.
It discolors, degrades, is brittle.........and in about 4 to 6 years it
is ready for replacement.
With Poly Carbonate, that is not the case.

so price is not the object.

The only down side that I think I see, if the pitch on the roof is slight,
is that crap collects up there. I replaced the roof on a neighbors see
through patio cover. Leaves and dirt simply did not wash off and over a
period of years you could see quite a science project growing on top.
That is going to happen with any material but the clear tends to expose it
for your viewing pleasure. ;~)

I believe there is another downside to using polycarbonate...If it gets a
crack, split, or hole in it, whatever the cause, there is no way to repair
it. You must replace the sheet (in this case). Some years back Bombardier
made their snowmobile cowlings out of polycarbonate. The same thing
applied - no way to repair - replacement was the only option. Since then
they have returned to a rubberized compound that flexes quite a bit more but
it can be repaired....I believe this is the same stuff....

DaveD

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Oh ....I see.....
Yes, that would be nice to do a job that would fit the scene.
The lady I did the work for already had an older style roof over, and I
built a new version.

john

"jloomis" wrote in message
Tough little job.
Re-modeled an old patio complete from bottom up.
Using polycarbonate.....nice stuff....
Virtually unbreakable......
john

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"jloomis" wrote in message
[...]

I dont think a cracking situation woule be that big of a problem in this
application. Many sun rooms and green houses use this material. It is all
open to the elements a leak would not be tragic. OTOH cowlings would be a
different matter. AAMOF there is a small company that is using this
material for window protection in hurricane areas.