Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy release from silicon mold?

Will West System 2-part epoxy freely release from a small silicon mold? I've got some left over from my table project and want to make granddaughter some pendants.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2017 5:22 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Will West System 2-part epoxy freely release from a small silicon mold? I've got some left over from my table project and want to make granddaughter some pendants.

Larry

Like any other mold its best with mold release.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 2:22:05 PM UTC-8, Gramps' shop wrote:
Will West System 2-part epoxy freely release from a small silicon mold?

Hard to say. Usual 'mold release' is basically spray wax. Some epoxies will
dissolve small amounts of oil, wax, or grease (don't know about West Systems).
Some will even entrain water (so they stick to poorly cleaned surfaces, of course).

A bit of talc or graphite, if it sticks to the silicone, won't dissolve, and hurts
the bond. Or, maybe grease it and flour it like a cake pan.

Silicones aren't all the same, either; there's the polymerized dimethylsiloxane,
and some kind of filler. The filler might matter.

Start some trials, a little wax dissolved in paint thinner and applied with a cotton swab
would be my first experiment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 4:22:05 PM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:
Will West System 2-part epoxy freely release from a small silicon mold? I've got some left over from my table project and want to make granddaughter some pendants.

Larry

Another option is to call West System and ask their opinion. Yesterday, I bought new vulcanized rubber tires, for my bandsaw, from Carters. I wasn't sure if G-Flex 650-8 epoxy would adhere to vulcanized rubber, appropriately, hence I might have to order Carter's 3M epoxy. I called West System and asked their advice. I was assured the G-Flex would work, appropriately.

If you know some specific info about the silicone, I suppose that would help with West System's advice. I would think they may know what's best to apply to the mold, to allow for release, if need be.

Sonny