Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DIY Smart Saw

Has anybody out there used the DIY Smart Saw? It looks intriguing, but I'm concerned about potential gotchas. It appears, for instance, that the actual program resides on their computer, and you're at their mercy. How much do they charge for actually running the program? Any special requirements on the boring tool used? Any router, or a special, hard-to-find unit?

Any information would be appreciated.

Jack (Master of none)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack F Altraydes writes:
Has anybody out there used the DIY Smart Saw?

Never heard of it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/6/2017 10:11 AM, Jack F Altraydes wrote:
Has anybody out there used the DIY Smart Saw? It looks intriguing, but I'm concerned about potential gotchas. It appears, for instance, that the actual program resides on their computer, and you're at their mercy. How much do they charge for actually running the program? Any special requirements on the boring tool used? Any router, or a special, hard-to-find unit?

Any information would be appreciated.

Jack (Master of none)

I would think $29 down the drain. It looks like a, I know a friend that
built something and you can too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack F Altraydes wrote in
:

Has anybody out there used the DIY Smart Saw? It looks intriguing,
but I'm concerned about potential gotchas. It appears, for instance,
that the actual program resides on their computer, and you're at their
mercy. How much do they charge for actually running the program? Any
special requirements on the boring tool used? Any router, or a
special, hard-to-find unit?

Any information would be appreciated.

Jack (Master of none)

Run. For goodness sake, RUN!

For our dedicated readers (and not some shell account designed to drive
traffic to their site), it looks like a DIY wooden CNC machine. There's
several designs out there for this, and many of them use industry
standard software like Mach3 to run. You're better off using one of
those designs than anything stored non-locally.

The cloud has its uses, but storing 300 kb G-code files is not one of
them!

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-03-06, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

For our dedicated readers (and not some shell account designed to drive
traffic to their site), it looks like a DIY wooden CNC machine. There's
several designs out there for this, and many of them use industry
standard software like Mach3 to run. You're better off using one of
those designs than anything stored non-locally.

The "saw" allegedly takes as little as $160USD (used) or as much as
$500USD (new), to build. Either way, that's pretty dang cheap,
considering what we are talking about, here.

With a couple o' tweaks, I would think you can use whichever software
you prefer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinuxCNC

hmmmm...... I've been parting out a printer.

nb