Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Almost As Nice As Tommy Mac's Shop...

Start this video at about 20:00 and wait for the red light to stop flashing. This
guy's shop and equipment rivals Tommy Mac's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaJJwEeVaQ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/28/2017 8:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Start this video at about 20:00 and wait for the red light to stop flashing. This
guy's shop and equipment rivals Tommy Mac's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaJJwEeVaQ

About 60 years ago when I was young my Father and Grandfather were in a
friendly discussion as to who was the best welder. To a boy of 13, it
was obvious who was the best welder, my Grandfather did not even have
electricity in his shop let alone a welder.

Over the years I realized that welding is a technique, not what is done
with a tool. As a blacksmith, my Grandfather did weld and was very
good at it. He not only kept the horses shod, but also, all of the farm
equipment in the area and the equipment owned by the township.

While Dad was not a blacksmith, as his father, he to was very good with
the welding technique that he had. There were many semi trailers on the
road that came out of the jigs that he designed and welded together.
The company he worked for was Fruehauf trailer, and during that period
of time they had a lot of their trailers on the road. People today
probably never heard of the Company

I admire the skill shown in the video and the product he produced. Never
in 100 years would I be able to do it. Every chance I get I go into
blacksmith shops and watch them work. A blacksmith was a true
craftsman, taking raw materials and make what every he or his customer
needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/28/2017 9:39 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

While Dad was not a blacksmith, as his father, he to was very good with
the welding technique that he had. There were many semi trailers on the
road that came out of the jigs that he designed and welded together. The
company he worked for was Fruehauf trailer, and during that period of
time they had a lot of their trailers on the road. People today
probably never heard of the Company

Remember? I bought a couple of their trailers for the company I worked
for in the 70's. They were one of the best years ago. I just looked
them up and they had a sad ending.
http://www.singingwheels.com/what-ha...r-company.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

My Dad had job interviews with them after he
left the Navy. He had been the Navy liaison on
the LARC, which as I understand it was a big
deal for Fruehauf and after he left they wanted
to hire him. Trouble is that he wanted to boss
a crew, not sit in an office raking in the big
bucks, so they never came to an accord.

I admire the skill shown in the video and the product he produced. Never
in 100 years would I be able to do it. Every chance I get I go into
blacksmith shops and watch them work. A blacksmith was a true
craftsman, taking raw materials and make what every he or his customer
needed.

Yep. In my younger days I would have liked to
have learned a bit of that art, but opportunity
never arose and now I fear my days of swinging
hammers are approaching an end.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 9:39:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

That's a nice story, but did you miss the fact that I suggested starting the
video at 20:00? I was posting about the wood working shop and tools towards the
end of the video, not the metal work at the start.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 10:29:44 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's a nice story, but did you miss the fact that I suggested starting the
video at 20:00? I was posting about the wood working shop and tools towards the
end of the video, not the metal work at the start.

OK, calm down. Your thread was already off the very first post after you started it. It never stood a chance...

OTOH, I really got a kick out of that guy. It looked like he was working in his living room, and looking at his lathe work, that guy has some real skills. I like the video because watching him build that table should be a reminder to all not to concentrate on the tools themselves as a limit to the quality of your end product, but to concentrate on using the tools you have to their limits.

One of the most influential guys in my history was the first guy that that was teaching me woodworking/carpentry. He was a master and had NO tolerance for excuses. I would have to build a one off cabinet, a store fixture, some kind of built ins, etc., and if I was stumped by thinking I needed a certain tool, he would yell at me and tell me that I needed to learn how to use the tools I had because wherever I worked I wasn't going to have a shop full of tools on the job site. A lesson I never forgot.

But that guy... he knew that going in! Thanks for posting that.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I recall, about 35 years ago, using a rotary planer head attached to my
RAS to surface plane a butcher block surface with end grain as the
surface. Scary and I could possibly have done better with a chain saw.
But it got me there and after hours of follow up with a belt sander the
surface was smooth.

Tommy MacDonald's new shop MJ[_5_] Woodworking 38 October 20th 17 04:24 AM
Very nice shop Leon[_7_] Woodworking 10 December 4th 13 06:09 AM
Tommy's New Tool Lee Michaels[_3_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 November 7th 10 10:39 PM
See Tommy boy it's all in the NUMBERS not the Name! *2006*2389*285* Woodworking 0 April 23rd 06 06:47 PM
FS: Home with nice shop in Mesa, AZ Marty Escarcega Woodworking 20 May 23rd 05 11:54 AM