Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hickory Lumber

Got 2 of the 5 hickory logs milled, 2" thick. Each of the larger boards weighs about 125 lbs, I suppose, and difficult to handle, readily.

One side of all the logs have lightening strike damage, about 10% of each log. I had the miller cut off the damaged side, first, then I was most assured the rest of the boards would be damage free. The undamaged boards look nice. The wider boards are about 20" wide.

One of the other unmilled logs is the lowest section of the tree trunk, so I'm expecting to get some nice 26"-30" wide boards. The other 2 unmilled logs are about 15" in diameter.

Reflecting on these milled boards, I never quite thought much about hickory as pretty or figured lumber, i.e., not so readily desirable, as with walnut, mahogany, etc., Old or sinker cypress is not so figured, either, but has its own "special" desirable characteristics, for folks in this area, at least. I don't think I have any hickory in my cache of lumber. These boards may not end up so desirable looking, once dry, but I'm glad I took a chance on this lightening struck tree. I think the boards will allow for some nice showy projects, after all.

Scroll right for one more pic. At this stage, I had just washed the sawdust off, to see the grain, better, on a few. I'll get a better look at all of them, later, as I sticker them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 2:10:50 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
Got 2 of the 5 hickory logs milled, 2" thick.

Oh! Milling fee $60.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny was heard to mutter:

[...]

Sonny ... Those are some nice figured boards.
Look forward to seeing what you do with them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2017 4:45 PM, Casper wrote:

Scroll right for one more pic. At this stage, I had just washed the sawdust off, to see the grain, better, on a few. I'll get a better look at all of them, later, as I sticker them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Sonny ... Those are some nice figured boards.
Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

And the sides are straighter than the 2 x 4s at Home Depot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
news
On 2/24/2017 4:45 PM, Casper wrote:

Scroll right for one more pic. At this stage, I had just washed the
sawdust off, to see the grain, better, on a few. I'll get a better look
at all of them, later, as I sticker them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/

Sonny

Sonny ... Those are some nice figured boards.
Look forward to seeing what you do with them.

And the sides are straighter than the 2 x 4s at Home Depot.

As much as I hate it, I've found if I go in the store and pick all my 2x off
the sales floor they are about 1000% better than having the "exact same"
boards delivered. Not even hand selected either. Sure I might have to set
2 or 3 aside out of 40 or 50, but not half of them like if I have them
delivered. I pay the same for both boards. Who can figure.