Posted to rec.woodworking

Default when are safety features unsafe

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

my hitachi cms has a blade guard that is fine most of the time

but once in a while when i am cutting the thickest wood it can cut the
blade guard gets in the way

without the guard i make the cut and i am done

with the guard i have to grab and hold the guard which takes away
my concentration of the more important work

read an article where a test pilot died in a cirrus recently

the cirrus planes all have airframe parachutes

glass cockpit and airframe parachute are the two dominant features

but it turns out that there have still been quite a few fatalities in
the plane

and the plane has a higher rate of incidents that similar planes from
other plane makers

pretty clear that safety features actually provide a false sense of
safety where proper training and techniques take a backseat

some people should not

operate dangerous machinery
drive cars
fly airplanes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 3:43:49 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

i think that

you

raise some

points that make

sense

and should

be

discussed in more detail

with an

eye towards improving the efficiency

of

our

tools

without sacrificing our

safety

let us continue the

discussion and possibly

come up

with

suggestions that can

help resolve the

issues that you

point out
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

really

should

not

have

had

coffee

in

my

mouth

when

read

your

response

the

comet
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:14:37 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

and should

be

discussed in more detail

well really the point is that discussing is no good

the industry and or hobby should be doing more to provide the proper
training

the manufacturers could consider it marketing expense as it would drive
more business to them to provide intensive training

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 12:49:24 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

inter

esting

at least the chance of a fatality is less likely than in aviation
where they really have a big problem

but the industry and community should still do a lot more to get people
checked out on the equipment

it is even worse now as there is less and less exposure to equipment
in schools

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:43:19 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

interesting that someone managed to kill themselves with a manual tool

and no deaths by by nail gun but two by stretch cords and straps

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/2012/hazard_tools.pdf

that is an old report so i am curious how a newer one looks

maybe some people just need to stay seated at home and have someone
else cut their food

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2017 8:10 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:43:19 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

interesting that someone managed to kill themselves with a manual tool

and no deaths by by nail gun but two by stretch cords and straps

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/2012/hazard_tools.pdf

that is an old report so i am curious how a newer one looks

maybe some people just need to stay seated at home and have someone
else cut their food

Safety is one of those things that government and its regulations can do
nothing about. The only person who has 100% control of accidental
happenings is the person who is in control of the event.

If you believe that government regulations can prevent accidents then
look at automobiles. In the 60 years that I have been driving cars,
hundreds of safety devices have been added to cars. As I remember the
propaganda to get the each of the devices required, each device was
suppose to reduce accidents by about 10%. Based on this there is no
auto accidents to day as a reduction of 10% with a 100 device is
essentially ZERO.

The biggest beneficiary of new safety devices that the government
requires is the person who owns the patent on the device.

The best safety device sits at the upper end of your neck, if you do not
use it nothing will protect you. Before doing any thing you should
consider all possible out comes for what you are about to do, and act
accordingly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 21:32:31 -0500
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Safety is one of those things that government and its regulations can
do nothing about. The only person who has 100% control of

never said anything about govt and safety but i agree

now back to the point

good training and familiarity makes a big difference

the manufacturers should subsidize that training it would be money
well spent

take it out of their marketing budget

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 19:28:03 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 21:32:31 -0500
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Safety is one of those things that government and its regulations can
do nothing about. The only person who has 100% control of

never said anything about govt and safety but i agree

now back to the point

good training and familiarity makes a big difference

the manufacturers should subsidize that training it would be money
well spent

take it out of their marketing budget

Since it's their money, and apparently they don't agree, it doesn't
happen. OTOH, if you'd like to spend your money...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

interesting that someone managed to kill themselves with a manual tool

and no deaths by by nail gun but two by stretch cords and straps

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/2012/hazard_tools.pdf

that is an old report so i am curious how a newer one looks

maybe some people just need to stay seated at home and have someone
else cut their food

Safety is one of those things that government and its regulations can do
nothing about. The only person who has 100% control of accidental
happenings is the person who is in control of the event.

And not even that is fool proof. Accidents happen.

If you believe that government regulations can prevent accidents then
look at automobiles. In the 60 years that I have been driving cars,
hundreds of safety devices have been added to cars. As I remember the
propaganda to get the each of the devices required, each device was
suppose to reduce accidents by about 10%. Based on this there is no
auto accidents to day as a reduction of 10% with a 100 device is
essentially ZERO.

If you always reduce the "result of the reduction" each time by 10% you
really never reach zero. But I get what you mean,

The biggest beneficiary of new safety devices that the government
requires is the person who owns the patent on the device.

Oh, and those those who's lives have been saved or who have walked away
with no injuries.

The best safety device sits at the upper end of your neck, if you do not
use it nothing will protect you. Before doing any thing you should
consider all possible out comes for what you are about to do, and act
accordingly.

Which goes with out saying but it does not always work correctly. It
often miscalculates.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

That reminds of the old paradox about walking halfway across a room, then walking
halfway again, and then walking halfway again. Logic tells us that I will never reach
the other side.

So what happens if I jump from a height? At some point I'll be halfway down. Some time
later I'll be halfway down from *that* point, then halfway down from *that* point, etc.

Sounds to me like I'll never hit the ground.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

That reminds of the old paradox about walking halfway across a room,
then walking halfway again, and then walking halfway again. Logic
tells us that I will never reach the other side.

So what happens if I jump from a height? At some point I'll be halfway
down. Some time later I'll be halfway down from *that* point, then
halfway down from *that* point, etc.

Sounds to me like I'll never hit the ground.

Cold welding blows that completly out of the water. You take two
surfaces that are so smooth that they join together and never are
released. To get there, you could keep on refining the surface so it's
all within a thou, then a tenth, then a tenth of a tenth and so on.
Eventually you hit that point and bam! welded.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-02-10, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

Eventually you hit that point and bam! welded.

Howzabout Jo blocks?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

But if you jump from a height you will not be stopping.

My favorite is

Which is 1/2? The needle on the gas gauge indicates the half way mark.
Is the whole volume of the tank half full or half empty?

Both are commonly used to describe the same thing except one is actually
1/2, the other is actually 0.

Empty has only one value of measurement, 0. Half of 0 is still O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

Particularly when it is dissabled, intentionally or otherwize. A drug
or alcohol induced stupor, or a lack of sleep, - many things can
dissable it. However, without the safety device at the top of the
neck, many other socalled "safety devices" can be disabled or
compromised as well. Case in point - the Tesla and the white transport
truck and the inattentive driver _--
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Electric Comet" wrote in message news
lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

I've found that the safety devices on a lot of homeowner grade power tools
are so poorly placed and/or designed that they interfere with the use of the
tool... Many users discard them if they can... I haven't found that problem
with professional grade tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-02-10, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

Eventually you hit that point and bam! welded.

Howzabout Jo blocks?

nb

It's pretty cool how they do that. Wikipedia has a picture of 36 of them
stacked together and supporting themselves as they stick out from the hand
of the guy holding them.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article af9f3458-daa8-4c4d-8922-e19050610998
@googlegroups.com, says...

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

That argument is attractive to anyone who does
not understand the mathematical concept of
limit. In any case a point is reached where you
have to go the whole rest of the distance or
none of it--movement is quantized.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

The optimist would think that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

It sure hurts less. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

[...]

The best one I heard was the mathemetition, the engineer, and the
model. The mathmetician sat on the opposite end of the park bench
from the model. After a few minutes, he moved half way towards here.
A few minutes later, he moved half again the distance towards her. He
then got up and went home, figuring that the whole thing was hopeless.
He could never reach the mode.

The engineer then sat down where the mathmetician was. He then moved
half the distance towards here. A few minutes later he moved half
again the distance. The engineer didn't give up, knowing that pretty
soon he'd be close enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet on Wed, 8 Feb 2017
12:43:19 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

my hitachi cms has a blade guard that is fine most of the time

I've a circular saw with a safety switch on the handle - right
where I could reach it if my thumb were a half inch longer. Result is
that I have to hold the trigger with one hand while pressing the
safety interlock with the other hand, while moving the saw guard with
the third hand.
I'm looking for a new circ saw.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 19:27:13 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Electric Comet on Wed, 8 Feb 2017
12:43:19 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

my hitachi cms has a blade guard that is fine most of the time

I've a circular saw with a safety switch on the handle - right
where I could reach it if my thumb were a half inch longer. Result is
that I have to hold the trigger with one hand while pressing the
safety interlock with the other hand, while moving the saw guard with
the third hand.

Old thread, but I had a circular saw that the trigger lock was right
where the thumb rested.

I'm looking for a new circ saw.

Trashed it long ago.
Posted to rec.woodworking

on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 22:27:20 -0400 typed in
wrote:

Electric Comet on Wed, 8 Feb 2017
12:43:19 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

my hitachi cms has a blade guard that is fine most of the time

I've a circular saw with a safety switch on the handle - right
where I could reach it if my thumb were a half inch longer. Result is
that I have to hold the trigger with one hand while pressing the
safety interlock with the other hand, while moving the saw guard with
the third hand.

Old thread,

Not near as old as some.

True but it was discussed at length then.

I just downloaded 660,000 headers, going back to 2003.

but I had a circular saw that the trigger lock was right
where the thumb rested.

I'm looking for a new circ saw.

Trashed it long ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Please don't respond to them all.

But if you do have any really good ones, let me know. They can be awesome
shop tips like Swingman's plywood cart and don't necessarily have to be
funny... but it helps.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Electric Comet on Wed, 8 Feb 2017
12:43:19 -0800 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

my hitachi cms has a blade guard that is fine most of the time

I've a circular saw with a safety switch on the handle - right
where I could reach it if my thumb were a half inch longer. Result is
that I have to hold the trigger with one hand while pressing the
safety interlock with the other hand, while moving the saw guard with
the third hand.

Old thread,

Not near as old as some.

True but it was discussed at length then.

Just a note of ancient history. When I was an engineer at Enormous
Aerospace before it got taken over by More Enormous Aerospace, there
was a press that was activated by a foot pedal. The OSHA people made
a big deal out of the risk of accidentally actuating the foot pedal
and required that a guard be installed to prevent this. The press had
been installed during WWII and between then and the time that OSHA got
involved there had been no injuries associated with it. In the five
years after the guard they demanded was installed there were three
injuries caused by the guard, which presented a tripping hazard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke on Sun, 29 Oct 2017 20:32:23
-0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

Sounds par for the course.

Friend had the company issue new "safety" razor knives. He's cut
himself more times with those things ...

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 2:43:49 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

I'd be curious to know if the manual for the saw gives instructions for proper guard adjustment...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 21:53:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

as far as the cirrus safety is concerned, a ballistic recovery chute
does NOTHING for safety except in the case of catastrophic airframe
failure, or possibly engine failure over hostile terrain, and only
above a rather significant hight. Deploying the chute at 500 feet
isn't going to do much, and having the chute does NOTHING for turn and
stall accidents on approach or takeoff, nor for wind shear or wake
turbulence issues on takeoff or landing, nor for "controlled flight
into terrain". Ditto for engine failure on takeoff. The chute is no
substitute for the brains between the pilot's headset. It's also a
pretty hot little plane - and the chute is no substitute for flying
experience - just like the problem with the "fork tailed doctor /
lawyer killer" the Beach Bonanza. Perfectly good high performance
plane, but like a lot of fancy cars, owned predominently by those who
are too busy making money to become or stay profficient in it's
operation

The most unsafe car ever? HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 47 November 27th 13 08:55 PM
Unsafe gas meter - any experience? A.Lee UK diy 13 February 1st 12 07:22 PM
A WEEE bit unsafe? Graham. UK diy 3 November 27th 10 12:07 AM
HardiBoard unsafe?? Red Home Repair 6 June 24th 08 01:01 PM
saw something really unsafe yesterday:( [email protected] Home Repair 24 February 17th 06 12:43 PM