Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default when are safety features unsafe

On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 9:03:57 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2017 8:32 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 2/9/2017 8:10 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:43:19 -0800
Electric Comet wrote:

lots of safety features get in the way and disrupt workflow and are
unsafe

interesting that someone managed to kill themselves with a manual tool

and no deaths by by nail gun but two by stretch cords and straps

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/2012/hazard_tools.pdf

that is an old report so i am curious how a newer one looks

maybe some people just need to stay seated at home and have someone
else cut their food

Safety is one of those things that government and its regulations can do
nothing about. The only person who has 100% control of accidental
happenings is the person who is in control of the event.

And not even that is fool proof. Accidents happen.

If you believe that government regulations can prevent accidents then
look at automobiles. In the 60 years that I have been driving cars,
hundreds of safety devices have been added to cars. As I remember the
propaganda to get the each of the devices required, each device was
suppose to reduce accidents by about 10%. Based on this there is no
auto accidents to day as a reduction of 10% with a 100 device is
essentially ZERO.

If you always reduce the "result of the reduction" each time by 10% you
really never reach zero. But I get what you mean,

That reminds of the old paradox about walking halfway across a room, then walking
halfway again, and then walking halfway again. Logic tells us that I will never reach
the other side.

So what happens if I jump from a height? At some point I'll be halfway down. Some time
later I'll be halfway down from *that* point, then halfway down from *that* point, etc.

Sounds to me like I'll never hit the ground.