Posted to rec.woodworking

Default loose drill press pulley

the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

took it all apart and oiled it and cleaned it and still loosens after
only a couple of on off cycles

the key seems fine and pulley and motor shaft look okay

probably go with some blue loctite but not sure if that will be enough

red would work but if the red does not do it then removal requires high
heat which i do not want to do

might use another set screw behind the existing one also

disappointed that the set screw is so small as it makes it hard to
tighten it much at all

not sure what grizzly was thinking there

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, 5 February 2017 02:55:32 UTC, Electric Comet wrote:
the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

took it all apart and oiled it and cleaned it and still loosens after
only a couple of on off cycles

the key seems fine and pulley and motor shaft look okay

probably go with some blue loctite but not sure if that will be enough

red would work but if the red does not do it then removal requires high
heat which i do not want to do

might use another set screw behind the existing one also

disappointed that the set screw is so small as it makes it hard to
tighten it much at all

not sure what grizzly was thinking there

Surely, if the red does NOT work, you wont need any heat to remove it? It's only when it DOES work that you need heat to remove it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 6:55:32 PM UTC-8, Electric Comet wrote:
the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

Have you tried running a drill or reamer into the pulley bore? This
has happened to me, when the (cast light metal) pulley had a conical
hole.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 8:55:32 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

took it all apart and oiled it and cleaned it and still loosens after
only a couple of on off cycles

the key seems fine and pulley and motor shaft look okay

probably go with some blue loctite but not sure if that will be enough

red would work but if the red does not do it then removal requires high
heat which i do not want to do

might use another set screw behind the existing one also

disappointed that the set screw is so small as it makes it hard to
tighten it much at all

not sure what grizzly was thinking there

You have a key on the shaft and pulley, do you also have a set screw? If not, why not put on in that hits the key? That way you will not damage the spindle and will keep the pulley in place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Feb 2017 20:08:35 -0800 (PST)
whit3rd wrote:

Have you tried running a drill or reamer into the pulley bore? This
has happened to me, when the (cast light metal) pulley had a conical
hole.

will look at that

in the pulley bore i did see the signs of a less than perfect cast
impression

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2017 9:55 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

took it all apart and oiled it and cleaned it and still loosens after
only a couple of on off cycles

the key seems fine and pulley and motor shaft look okay

probably go with some blue loctite but not sure if that will be enough

I had the same problem 40 years ago with a pulley on my table saw.
Replaced the key, replaced the set screw, no help. Loctite on the set
screw fixed it permanently, I think it was blue.

Also had the same problem with a pulley bolted (no set screw) on my
Grizzly planer, loctite blue on the bolt also fixed that problem.

--
Jack
I'm not young enough to know everything!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2017 9:21 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/4/2017 9:55 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

took it all apart and oiled it and cleaned it and still loosens after
only a couple of on off cycles

the key seems fine and pulley and motor shaft look okay

probably go with some blue loctite but not sure if that will be enough

I had the same problem 40 years ago with a pulley on my table saw.
Replaced the key, replaced the set screw, no help. Loctite on the set
screw fixed it permanently, I think it was blue.

Also had the same problem with a pulley bolted (no set screw) on my
Grizzly planer, loctite blue on the bolt also fixed that problem.

Also check for a second set screw, I have run into that on opposite
sides of the pulley. If one is loose neither stays tight.

AND if there is debris in the key way slot it is hard to keep the screw
tight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 10:21:51 -0500
Jack wrote:

I had the same problem 40 years ago with a pulley on my table saw.
Replaced the key, replaced the set screw, no help. Loctite on the
set screw fixed it permanently, I think it was blue.

did they have blue 40 years ago
have not used loctite in so long i thought there was only red
but maybe it was not even loctite and was nail polish that i used

Also had the same problem with a pulley bolted (no set screw) on my
Grizzly planer, loctite blue on the bolt also fixed that problem.

i found some blue and it is holding so far and no longer is the drill
press making so much noise

nice and quiet

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 10:29:14 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 2/7/2017 9:21 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/4/2017 9:55 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
the drive pulley just refuses to stay tight

took it all apart and oiled it and cleaned it and still loosens after
only a couple of on off cycles

the key seems fine and pulley and motor shaft look okay

probably go with some blue loctite but not sure if that will be enough

I had the same problem 40 years ago with a pulley on my table saw.
Replaced the key, replaced the set screw, no help. Loctite on the set
screw fixed it permanently, I think it was blue.

Also had the same problem with a pulley bolted (no set screw) on my
Grizzly planer, loctite blue on the bolt also fixed that problem.

Also check for a second set screw, I have run into that on opposite
sides of the pulley. If one is loose neither stays tight.

AND if there is debris in the key way slot it is hard to keep the screw
tight.

and if there are two set screws in the same hole, tightening the
outer one - no matter how tight you make it - doesn't accomplish
much!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2017 12:02 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 10:21:51 -0500
Jack wrote:

I had the same problem 40 years ago with a pulley on my table saw.
Replaced the key, replaced the set screw, no help. Loctite on the
set screw fixed it permanently, I think it was blue.

did they have blue 40 years ago
have not used loctite in so long i thought there was only red
but maybe it was not even loctite and was nail polish that i used

They had various colors indicating strength. I don't recall ever using
red, the high strength stuff. I used the blue, medium strength and
after 40 years, it is still holding perfectly. I've heard the red stuff
can be problematic removing, but I never used it, and 40 years is
permanent enough for me..

I bought the saw used 40 years ago, and the pulley was on backwards,
making it impossible to set the blade to 90 degrees. The pulley would
come loose every few uses, so obviously the previous owner was having
trouble keeping it on. I fussed for several months, finally resorting
to loctite after replacing the key and the set screw didn't work. Hasn't
come off since.

Also had the same problem with a pulley bolted (no set screw) on my
Grizzly planer, loctite blue on the bolt also fixed that problem.

i found some blue and it is holding so far and no longer is the drill
press making so much noise

nice and quiet

I thought my planer was coming apart when the pulley came loose. Was
quite happy to see the bolt holding on the pulley laying at the bottom
of the cover. I though the factory failed to tighten it, but it came
loose again in a month or so. Loctite blue has kept in on for several
years now, so all is well.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

I had the same problem 40 years ago with a pulley on my table saw.
Replaced the key, replaced the set screw, no help. Loctite on the
set screw fixed it permanently, I think it was blue.

did they have blue 40 years ago
have not used loctite in so long i thought there was only red
but maybe it was not even loctite and was nail polish that i used

They had various colors indicating strength. I don't recall ever using
red, the high strength stuff. I used the blue, medium strength and
after 40 years, it is still holding perfectly. I've heard the red stuff
can be problematic removing, but I never used it, and 40 years is
permanent enough for me..

I recall using red 35 or so years ago.

BUT there are two different Reds. Red High Strength/Permanent high temp
272, Red High Strength/Permanent 262,

Blue, Green, and Purple.

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/indus...kers-22093.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 09:30:13 -0500
Jack wrote:

They had various colors indicating strength. I don't recall ever
using red, the high strength stuff. I used the blue, medium strength
and after 40 years, it is still holding perfectly. I've heard the
red stuff can be problematic removing, but I never used it, and 40
years is permanent enough for me..

red comes off but you have to get it up to 450f to 500f

another idea i had was to take a piece of nylon or plastic and thread
that in behind the set screw

but the blue is holding so far so i stay with that

this drill press was a rescue and needed tlc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 2:39:03 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 09:30:13 -0500
Jack wrote:

They had various colors indicating strength. I don't recall ever
using red, the high strength stuff. I used the blue, medium strength
and after 40 years, it is still holding perfectly. I've heard the
red stuff can be problematic removing, but I never used it, and 40
years is permanent enough for me..

red comes off but you have to get it up to 450f to 500f

another idea i had was to take a piece of nylon or plastic and thread
that in behind the set screw

but the blue is holding so far so i stay with that

this drill press was a rescue and needed tlc

I have used wraps of teflon plumbers tape to try to reduce the loosening of problematic machine screws/bolts...seems to work...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/2017 2:38 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 09:30:13 -0500
Jack wrote:

They had various colors indicating strength. I don't recall ever
using red, the high strength stuff. I used the blue, medium strength
and after 40 years, it is still holding perfectly. I've heard the
red stuff can be problematic removing, but I never used it, and 40
years is permanent enough for me..

red comes off but you have to get it up to 450f to 500f

IE, problematic.

another idea i had was to take a piece of nylon or plastic and thread
that in behind the set screw

Lots of ideas and loctite is there to replace most of them. It's an
easy fix and it works, that I know. I'd be surprised if your pulley
ever comes loose. Should be no need for the red stuff in this situation.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

They had various colors indicating strength. I don't recall ever
using red, the high strength stuff. I used the blue, medium strength
and after 40 years, it is still holding perfectly. I've heard the
red stuff can be problematic removing, but I never used it, and 40
years is permanent enough for me..

red comes off but you have to get it up to 450f to 500f

IE, problematic.

another idea i had was to take a piece of nylon or plastic and thread
that in behind the set screw

Lots of ideas and loctite is there to replace most of them. It's an
easy fix and it works, that I know. I'd be surprised if your pulley
ever comes loose. Should be no need for the red stuff in this situation.

I would not use the red unless you can get to the screw/bolt and nut.
In this case you probably can not. Or main bearing bolts in an engine
block. ;!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 11:23:07 -0500
Jack wrote:

IE, problematic.

yes very

that was established already in my post

Lots of ideas and loctite is there to replace most of them. It's an

but not when you have no loctite

i avoid going out to buy stuff as much as i can