Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ply woes.

I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the
whole thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I
did, I would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the
whole thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I
did, I would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

I'm going to guess that your windows may still be leaking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:53:03 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the
whole thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I
did, I would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

I'd not blame the ply, something is causing it to delaminate.

What was replaced? The sashes? Where was it leaking? Has it been
properly fixed and sealed? Or do you have excessive humidity and
condensation?

Much as I like shellac for a finish, it would not be my first choice
for windows. It can be affected by water more than poly, but I doubt
it is your root cause.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message
I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the whole
thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I did, I
would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

I think I would call Pella and ask them what's up with their plywood. Seems
they are only good for 2 1/2 years, not a resounding recommendation for
Pella

Is the face veneer up enough so you can lift it enough to see under it?
Stained under (from water)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2016 1:20 AM, Leon wrote:
woodchucker wrote:
I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the
whole thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I
did, I would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

I'm going to guess that your windows may still be leaking.

No they replaced the entire window again. This time they built it in the
shop and mounted it.
The previous time it was built on site, and they did not caulk properly.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2016 12:34 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

No, they are all just puckering at this point.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 12:34:47 -0500, "dadiOH" wrote:

[...]

Pella ain't what it used to be - - - but then again they now have
more than one grade. The "dealers" get one grade,(or possibly more)
the "big boxes" get only the lower grade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the
whole thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I
did, I would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

I'm going to guess that your windows may still be leaking.

No they replaced the entire window again. This time they built it in the
shop and mounted it.
The previous time it was built on site, and they did not caulk properly.

Understood but moisture seems to be the problem "again".
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I now have a situation I don't know how to correct.
I had a new Pella bay window put in about 5 years ago, then they leaked,
so they replaced them. It's been about 2.5 years .

Well I had stained with gel stain and shellaced the windows.
Now I noticed that the ply is delaming on the veneer joints. They are
popping in quite a number of areas.

I'm ****ed, and at a loss of what to do without making a mess of the
whole thing. I really don't want to refinish it again, and I think if I
did, I would have to paint it after fixing the problem.

PLY is really not what it used to be.

I'm going to guess that your windows may still be leaking.

No they replaced the entire window again. This time they built it in the
shop and mounted it.
The previous time it was built on site, and they did not caulk properly.

After having worked for 2 window installation companies my bet is
still on a screwed up installation.

PC woes Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 40 May 15th 08 04:49 PM
PC woes Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 41 May 14th 08 12:38 AM
PC woes Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 33 May 12th 08 02:47 PM
well woes [email protected] Home Repair 18 November 17th 05 06:50 PM
well woes [email protected] Home Ownership 17 November 17th 05 06:50 PM