Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Earlex 6002?

Anyone have the 6002? Highland is running a sale.
The earlex website has a problem right now, that won't show the products
correctly, so it's a little tough to navigate back and forth...

looking for FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE not your rear end opinions. :-)

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/e...form=hootsuite

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2016 12:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Anyone have the 6002? Highland is running a sale.
The earlex website has a problem right now, that won't show the products
correctly, so it's a little tough to navigate back and forth...

looking for FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE not your rear end opinions. :-)

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/e...form=hootsuite

I have the older, one model down, Earlex 5000.

Would not want to be without it. Best thing since shirt pockets for an
all around, small shop, affordable HVLP system that performs better than
advertised.

I doubt seriously that YMWV ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
Anyone have the 6002? Highland is running a sale.
The earlex website has a problem right now, that won't show the products
correctly, so it's a little tough to navigate back and forth...

looking for FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE not your rear end opinions. :-)

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/e...form=hootsuite

Never used one so no help. I have used the HF el-cheapo version for
odd paint jobs , including front wall of shop, and it worked well for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...kit-44677.html

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 15:19:56 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
Anyone have the 6002? Highland is running a sale.
The earlex website has a problem right now, that won't show the products
correctly, so it's a little tough to navigate back and forth...

looking for FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE not your rear end opinions. :-)

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/e...form=hootsuite

Never used one so no help. I have used the HF el-cheapo version for
odd paint jobs , including front wall of shop, and it worked well for me.

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-vo...kit-44677.html

Since we're talking HVLP...

Does anyone have a source of good/cheap (right) guns with replaceable
needles (or really cheap guns with various size needles)? I want to
play/learn on the cheap.

I was at HF over the weekend. Their HVLP guns had a standard 1/4"
disconnect. Dow the 'HV' and 'LP' part really work through such a
small connection?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I assume you are talking a conversion gun. Not the same thing. The HVLP
conversion gun is better than the conventional gun in reducing
overspray, but it's not 100% up to the task.

I like my HF HVLP guns, the $9 and $25 guns. The $25 has a finer set of
holes, so it can deliver a finer mist. The $9 just does it all and
really well.

But I thought for $299 that the 6002 was an upgrade and cheaper than the
5000 series.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

They're certainly not advertised as "conversion guns". I bought one
of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like my HF HVLP guns, the $9 and $25 guns. The $25 has a finer set of
holes, so it can deliver a finer mist. The $9 just does it all and
really well.

The HF guns I looked at the other day had 1/4" quick disconnects, too.
Have you tried latex with your setup?

But I thought for $299 that the 6002 was an upgrade and cheaper than the
5000 series.

It sure looks like a good deal! The 5000 series is single-stage,
isn't it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

No, I use it for woodworking, and machine rebuilding not painting. So
all solvent based.

But I thought for $299 that the 6002 was an upgrade and cheaper than the
5000 series.

It sure looks like a good deal! The 5000 series is single-stage,
isn't it?

Yes it is. The advantage is less heat transfer to the material I believe.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I want to be able to use latex, though most jobs will likely be
solvent based.

But I thought for $299 that the 6002 was an upgrade and cheaper than the
5000 series.

It sure looks like a good deal! The 5000 series is single-stage,
isn't it?

Yes it is. The advantage is less heat transfer to the material I believe.

Not sure I understand this comment. It was my understanding that more
stages = higher pressure, so will atomize more viscous coatings (e.g.
latex).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

I believe that is the case for compressors,but I believe the turbines
use it to prevent heat buildup.. would someone correct me if I am wrong.

Remember HVLP is low pressure.. High volume low pressure.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article bO-dnTJnrITQfdXFnZ2dnUU7-
, says...

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

According to Earlex their 3 stage system
produces 5.5 psi vs 4.5 and 12.5 percent more
air volume.

If you're determined to use latex in an HVLP go
for the largest nozzle you can get, and the most
powerful turbine you can get to feed it, and
pressure feed to actually get paint into the
gun. HVLP is working hard to handle latex.

Latex is generally happier with airless.

With regard to the Harbor Freight gun, don't
count on being able to get a different tip size
for it--sometimes HF has them, sometimes not.
The tip size included is way too small for
latex--I've sprayed latex with it but I was
spraying mostly thinner to get a decent looking
result.

If I was going to get a conversion gun today I'd
bit the bullet and go with a deVilbiss because I
know I can get whatever size nozzle I might
need. Go to the devilbiss site and you'll find a
chart showing what gun to get for what
material--they've got a bunch of them.

If you're going with any conversion gun read the
specs carefully before you buy and make sure
that you've got enough compressor for it--with
large nozzles they need a lot of air.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

That's my understanding, too. I was hoping for some first-person
experience.

Latex is generally happier with airless.

With regard to the Harbor Freight gun, don't
count on being able to get a different tip size
for it--sometimes HF has them, sometimes not.
The tip size included is way too small for
latex--I've sprayed latex with it but I was
spraying mostly thinner to get a decent looking
result.

I've read that latex shouldn't be thinned more than 10% and that all
of that is probably needed for HVLP. There is something called
"Flowtrol", or something like that, that can be used, too. I'm just
looking for information and I thought this group would probably be the
place to go for the real skinny.

If I was going to get a conversion gun today I'd
bit the bullet and go with a deVilbiss because I
know I can get whatever size nozzle I might
need. Go to the devilbiss site and you'll find a
chart showing what gun to get for what
material--they've got a bunch of them.

The Devilbiss guns are all in the $300+ range, just for the gun, IIRC.
I'd really like to learn on something cheaper.

If you're going with any conversion gun read the
specs carefully before you buy and make sure
that you've got enough compressor for it--with
large nozzles they need a lot of air.

What is a "conversion gun"? I haven't run across that term before.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ukuj4cpvrc4k757rd16b7qiuq8idl3jf9j@
4ax.com, says...

wrote:

In article bO-dnTJnrITQfdXFnZ2dnUU7-
,
says...

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

At 10% thinner with Floetrol it's not going to
be coming out of an HF purple gun in enough
volume to be useful.

If I was going to get a conversion gun today I'd
bit the bullet and go with a deVilbiss because I
know I can get whatever size nozzle I might
need. Go to the devilbiss site and you'll find a
chart showing what gun to get for what
material--they've got a bunch of them.

The Devilbiss guns are all in the $300+ range, just for the gun, IIRC.
I'd really like to learn on something cheaper.

If you want a decent inexpensive gun, try
http://www.eastwood.com/concours-lt-hvlp-paint-
gun-1-3mm.html Get the 2 mm nozzle for it
while you're ordering. I've got one and it
works fine for everything I've thrown at it.
Still need to thin latex quite a lot though.

Eastwood used to let you order the gun set up
the way you wanted it--they might still if you
call them.

If you're going with any conversion gun read the
specs carefully before you buy and make sure
that you've got enough compressor for it--with
large nozzles they need a lot of air.

What is a "conversion gun"? I haven't run across that term before.

Any HVLP spray gun that hooks to a compressor
instead of a turbine is a "conversion gun"--the
pressure of the compressor is reduced, or
"converted" to a much lower level in the gun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Thanks. It's my understanding that it's more about the turbine and
the needle than the gun itself. But, again, I'm really new to all
this (just got tired of brush strokes and spending all day with a
brush).

If I was going to get a conversion gun today I'd
bit the bullet and go with a deVilbiss because I
know I can get whatever size nozzle I might
need. Go to the devilbiss site and you'll find a
chart showing what gun to get for what
material--they've got a bunch of them.

The Devilbiss guns are all in the $300+ range, just for the gun, IIRC.
I'd really like to learn on something cheaper.

If you want a decent inexpensive gun, try
http://www.eastwood.com/concours-lt-hvlp-paint-
gun-1-3mm.html Get the 2 mm nozzle for it
while you're ordering. I've got one and it
works fine for everything I've thrown at it.
Still need to thin latex quite a lot though.

Eastwood used to let you order the gun set up
the way you wanted it--they might still if you
call them.

Interesting. Thanks.

If you're going with any conversion gun read the
specs carefully before you buy and make sure
that you've got enough compressor for it--with
large nozzles they need a lot of air.

What is a "conversion gun"? I haven't run across that term before.

Any HVLP spray gun that hooks to a compressor
instead of a turbine is a "conversion gun"--the
pressure of the compressor is reduced, or
"converted" to a much lower level in the gun.

Got it. I don't think my compressor is up to any painting. Even if
it would work, it would deafen the neighbors. ;-)

Earlex Filters RJH[_2_] UK diy 9 July 16th 14 08:58 PM
Earlex steam cleaners John Price UK diy 6 January 29th 12 05:29 PM
Earlex HV6900 Rich Woodworking 3 December 3rd 11 05:46 PM
Earlex wdp1200p broken, twice Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 July 5th 09 08:46 AM
In praise of Earlex rrh UK diy 15 November 22nd 08 10:21 PM