Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bought Some Board Buddies

goo.gl/zlWjB1

I've wanted to get a pair of these for the longest time and just forgot
about them until I accepted with the recently posted-about job requiring
me to rip over 50 sheets of 1/2" plywood and even further cutting to
size on the tablesaw.

I found that Woodcraft either bought them out or have licensed the
product under their home brand "WoodRiver." These are identical in
every way to the ones I saw on other suppliers' websites and catalogs.

The only hesitation I had were some bad reviews on Woodcraft's website
claiming they switched the materials that the rollers were made from,
making them "slippery." I haven't found that to be true, so far. Here
they are installed.

https://goo.gl/photos/jGLo1BXqFP93B1cd8

This is another product I purchased and used which gave me the immediate
feeling of, "Why didn't I get these years ago?" Such a simple addition
to the saw that really improves overall performance. It's much easier
to guide to stock against and along the fence. These are so much easier
to use than a vertical featherboard and are pretty self-adjusting once
you quickly get them "in the ballpark" with the adjustment eye-bolt.

I'm very pleased, so far, and highly recommend them. They can be had
for cheaper on Amazon if you don't need them "today" like I did.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
goo.gl/zlWjB1

This is another product I purchased and used which gave me the immediate
feeling of, "Why didn't I get these years ago?"

I recently had that revalation about swivel blade deburring tools. Now I
have four of them around the shop at locations where I use them. It
happens. They are pretty cheap too.

I'll have to check out those saw board buddies, but I think if I was ripping
lots of plywood I'd invest in a decent panel saw. Since I don't do to much
those saw board buddies might be just the ticket.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
goo.gl/zlWjB1

I've wanted to get a pair of these for the longest time and just forgot
about them until I accepted with the recently posted-about job requiring
me to rip over 50 sheets of 1/2" plywood and even further cutting to
size on the tablesaw.

Pretty straight forward. A couple one way clutch bearings in the wheels is
the easy part. Price seems pretty reasonable for that they are. Now for
something that does that when you are cutting small pieces. A tiny piece of
blocking will shoot across the garage with enough force to ... well I ain't
admitin' to nutin'. Just saying, " never stand in front of the blade if you
can help it and never ever without a face shield." LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/16 10:54 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
goo.gl/zlWjB1

I've wanted to get a pair of these for the longest time and just forgot
about them until I accepted with the recently posted-about job requiring
me to rip over 50 sheets of 1/2" plywood and even further cutting to
size on the tablesaw.

Pretty straight forward. A couple one way clutch bearings in the wheels is
the easy part. Price seems pretty reasonable for that they are. Now for
something that does that when you are cutting small pieces. A tiny piece of
blocking will shoot across the garage with enough force to ... well I ain't
admitin' to nutin'. Just saying, " never stand in front of the blade if you
can help it and never ever without a face shield." LOL.

Most people seem very pleased with this product for the purposes you
describe.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2016 11:10 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Most people seem very pleased with this product for the purposes you
describe.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/

Yep ... basically my only choice for any "hold-down_ purposes with a
unisaw and unifence.

The board buddies work great with a Beismeyer, or one that is attached
both front and back. Not so much with a unifence, or one that is only
attached at the front, as it will lift up slightly, defeating the ideal
purpose.

Too bad ... I would prefer the board buddies, particularly when using a
dado stack where even the slightest bow in the stock will result in a
uneven depth in spots.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/16 11:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/7/2016 11:10 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Most people seem very pleased with this product for the purposes
you describe.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/

Yep ... basically my only choice for any "hold-down_ purposes with a
unisaw and unifence.

The board buddies work great with a Beismeyer, or one that is
attached both front and back. Not so much with a unifence, or one
that is only attached at the front, as it will lift up slightly,
defeating the ideal purpose.

Too bad ... I would prefer the board buddies, particularly when using
a dado stack where even the slightest bow in the stock will result in
a uneven depth in spots.

The Beismeyer isn't held down at the back, but it has plenty enough
downward force to keep these holding.

The subject has come up before about the Beismeyer fence's downward
pressure and in all my testing it hold down fine. I've used other
vertical featherboards before and while there is some slight lift, it's
negligible. We're talking perhaps a sheet of card stock at the back end.

I can't speak to the construction/design of the Beismeyer vs. Unifence
because I've ever used the Unifence. The clamping mechanism does aprear
to be more "delicate" on the Unifence, though.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2016 11:59 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/7/16 11:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/7/2016 11:10 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Most people seem very pleased with this

[snip

The Beismeyer isn't held down at the back, but it has plenty enough
downward force to keep these holding.

The subject has come up before about the Beismeyer fence's downward
pressure and in all my testing it hold down fine. I've used other
vertical featherboards before and while there is some slight lift, it's
negligible. We're talking perhaps a sheet of card stock at the back end.

My take on the problem (with a fence not held down at the back of the
table) is this.

If you use Board Buddies with the fence and the fence rises up from the
table, you either have the Board Buddies exerting too much downward
pressure or the fence is defective. You don't need to put that much
pressure on the work piece to keep it on track and snugged up to the
fence. There IS a slight angle to the wheels which keeps the work piece
against the fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 11:59:15 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/7/16 11:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/7/2016 11:10 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Most people seem very pleased with this product for the purposes
you describe.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/

Yep ... basically my only choice for any "hold-down_ purposes with a
unisaw and unifence.

The board buddies work great with a Beismeyer, or one that is
attached both front and back. Not so much with a unifence, or one
that is only attached at the front, as it will lift up slightly,
defeating the ideal purpose.

Too bad ... I would prefer the board buddies, particularly when using
a dado stack where even the slightest bow in the stock will result in
a uneven depth in spots.

The Beismeyer isn't held down at the back, but it has plenty enough
downward force to keep these holding.

FWIG, the reason good fences don't tend to be held in the back is that
clamping both ends tends to skew the fence. It's really hard to avoid
this, so the fences just clamp at the front.

The subject has come up before about the Beismeyer fence's downward
pressure and in all my testing it hold down fine. I've used other
vertical featherboards before and while there is some slight lift, it's
negligible. We're talking perhaps a sheet of card stock at the back end.

I use featherboards, sometimes with quite a bit of down force, and
have had no problems with a Beismeyer fence, either. It's sometimes
hard to get a consistent dado depth any other way.

I can't speak to the construction/design of the Beismeyer vs. Unifence
because I've ever used the Unifence. The clamping mechanism does aprear
to be more "delicate" on the Unifence, though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2016 11:46 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/7/2016 11:10 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Most people seem very pleased with this product for the purposes you
describe.

http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/

Yep ... basically my only choice for any "hold-down_ purposes with a
unisaw and unifence.

The board buddies work great with a Beismeyer, or one that is attached
both front and back. Not so much with a unifence, or one that is only
attached at the front, as it will lift up slightly, defeating the ideal
purpose.

Too bad ... I would prefer the board buddies, particularly when using a
dado stack where even the slightest bow in the stock will result in a
uneven depth in spots.

So have your cake and eat it too!

Anything stopping you from using a large clamp or quick set Irwin clamp
to hold the far end of that fence down when faced with a critical cut
like the one you describe?

I've had a set of the Woodcraft Board Buddies for going on ten years.
Love 'em!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anything stopping you from using a large clamp or quick set Irwin clamp
to hold the far end of that fence down when faced with a critical cut
like the one you describe?

Yep, an outfeed table ...

Again, and with the Delta unifence, if you don't have an after market
item like the Uni-T-Fence installed you need to fabricate a jig to mount
board buddies on it, and, even then, board buddies do not perform as
well on a saw equipped with a Unifence due to the unifence's tendency to
to lift up at the back with less pressure than other fences.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 20:11:34 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I've wanted to get a pair of these for the longest time and just forgot
about them until I accepted with the recently posted-about job requiring
me to rip over 50 sheets of 1/2" plywood and even further cutting to
size on the tablesaw.

I like these better:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...9040348-board-
buddies-hold-down-wheels-100_1889.jpg

They can be moved in and out and can be angled towards the fence to hold
the board against the fence. And they flip up out of the way (well,
almost).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 17:16:48 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...9040348-board-
buddies-hold-down-wheels-100_1889.jpg

I believe the ones Mike pointed out are cambered into the fence.

Here is another, real purdy, set:

http://www.jessem.com/clear-cut-ts-stock-guides.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...9040348-board-

buddies-hold-down-wheels-100_1889.jpg

I believe the ones Mike pointed out are cambered into the fence.

Here is another, real purdy, set:

http://www.jessem.com/clear-cut-ts-stock-guides.html

Upp... beat me to it! :-)
I haven't yet figured out of they are angled towards the fence.
However, with some forethought on the mounting, you can mount them with
a slight angle.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...9040348-board-

buddies-hold-down-wheels-100_1889.jpg

I believe the ones Mike pointed out are cambered into the fence.

Here is another, real purdy, set:

http://www.jessem.com/clear-cut-ts-stock-guides.html

Upp... beat me to it! :-)
I haven't yet figured out of they are angled towards the fence.
However, with some forethought on the mounting, you can mount them with
a slight angle.

They are toed in 5 degrees towards the fence, IIRC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...9040348-board-

buddies-hold-down-wheels-100_1889.jpg

I believe the ones Mike pointed out are cambered into the fence.

Here is another, real purdy, set:

http://www.jessem.com/clear-cut-ts-stock-guides.html

Upp... beat me to it! :-)
I haven't yet figured out of they are angled towards the fence.
However, with some forethought on the mounting, you can mount them with
a slight angle.

Yes, they are toed in and they also mentioned good for DADO's showing
the rear roller right behind the saw blade. Useful for some but not
all dado's. Even have some nice rollers for the router table..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/16 11:16 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 06 Nov 2016 20:11:34 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I've wanted to get a pair of these for the longest time and just forgot
about them until I accepted with the recently posted-about job requiring
me to rip over 50 sheets of 1/2" plywood and even further cutting to
size on the tablesaw.

I like these better:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...9040348-board-
buddies-hold-down-wheels-100_1889.jpg

They can be moved in and out and can be angled towards the fence to hold
the board against the fence. And they flip up out of the way (well,
almost).

Jessem makes a version like that for $250.
Overall better, but much more expensive.
FWIW, the Board Buddies slide right out of their mounts with the turn of
a couple wingscrews.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Anyone Using Board Buddies? -MIKE- Woodworking 15 October 26th 10 12:38 AM
Please tell the following to your buddies, Kurt. Kadaitcha Man Home Repair 21 April 27th 07 10:29 PM
Board Buddies Richard Cranium Woodworking 22 September 29th 06 04:58 PM
Bearing Buddies Mark Home Repair 1 April 11th 06 03:44 AM
Mount Board Buddies upside down ? Folklore Woodworking 8 October 13th 05 03:09 PM