Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool sander, deal with Leon?

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

-BR
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 9:58:43 AM UTC-4, Brewster wrote:
I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

-BR

Leon might have to wait a while to partake of your offer...

"Due to overwhelming demand, Festool has asked all dealers to suspend taking orders for the PRO 5 until further notice. Please subscribe to our newsletter to be informed of updates, including when the PRO 5 sander will be available for order again."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/8/16 8:23 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 9:58:43 AM UTC-4, Brewster wrote:
I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

-BR

Leon might have to wait a while to partake of your offer...

"Due to overwhelming demand, Festool has asked all dealers to suspend taking

orders for the PRO 5 until further notice. Please subscribe to our
newsletter

to be informed of updates, including when the PRO 5 sander will be
available for order again."

Yeah, I had heard of this offer earlier this week and jumped in. Won't
ship until November, but maybe Leon will accept $48? (or because it is a
"limited edition voucher", the price could be higher 8^)

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/8/2016 8:58 AM, Brewster wrote:
I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

-BR

I got an e-mail indicating limited quantities while quantities last and
available Nov 1 through Woodcraft.

I would imagine that there will be a limited quantity at this price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I got an e-mail indicating limited quantities while quantities last
and available Nov 1 through Woodcraft.

I would imagine that there will be a limited quantity at this price.

I didn't see anything on the Woodcraft website, so I don't know if it's an
in store only thing. Our closest Woodcraft is 2 hours away.

PUckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/8/2016 11:36 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

I got an e-mail indicating limited quantities while quantities last
and available Nov 1 through Woodcraft.

I would imagine that there will be a limited quantity at this price.

I didn't see anything on the Woodcraft website, so I don't know if it's an
in store only thing. Our closest Woodcraft is 2 hours away.

PUckdropper

I could not find the sander on the Festoolusa.com site either. The
Woodcraft info was on an e-mail.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote in :

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

-BR

I want one!

That voucher might be another degree of tilt towards the Domino. I've got
a Kreg jig I can use in some similar situations, but never really took to
it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-10-08, Brewster wrote:

Basically a Festool for $50.....

Thankfully, I don't hafta hold my breath.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 07:58:39 -0600, Brewster wrote:

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's an outstanding price on an outstanding sander. It says "Out of
Stock" but Highland has them, complete with free shipping.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festool-pro-5-random-orbit-sander.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 22:57:18 -0400, krw wrote:

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 07:58:39 -0600, Brewster wrote:

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's an outstanding price on an outstanding sander. It says "Out of
Stock" but Highland has them, complete with free shipping.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festool-pro-5-random-orbit-sander.aspx

Oh, and they indicate that you can use this offer to get the 10%
discount on vacs, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in
:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 22:57:18 -0400, krw wrote:

That's an outstanding price on an outstanding sander. It says "Out of
Stock" but Highland has them, complete with free shipping.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...orbit-sander.a
spx

Oh, and they indicate that you can use this offer to get the 10%
discount on vacs, too.

With the 10% discount on vacs and the $50 coupon, the sander is almost
free. (In some cases, it will be free.) I wonder what the actual T&C's
are on coupon are. Looks like it's got to be used between Nov 1 and Dec
31, which means you've got to be serious about buying another Festool
Tool soon. I wonder if some of the more accessory type items are
considered tools?

Does anyone have the Kapex CMS? Is it worth the $1475? Wow, I thought
it was closer to $1000... I'll probably get a LOT more bang for the buck
with another brand!

The smallest vac, the CT SYS HEPA vac does sure look like it'll be light
enough to move around fairly easily. When I use my RO125 at the club, I
have to bring my Fein along and that's not fun.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/8/16 11:12 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

With the 10% discount on vacs and the $50 coupon, the sander is almost
free. (In some cases, it will be free.) I wonder what the actual T&C's
are on coupon are. Looks like it's got to be used between Nov 1 and Dec
31, which means you've got to be serious about buying another Festool
Tool soon. I wonder if some of the more accessory type items are
considered tools?

The vac would be a nice 'accessory' to use the $50 for, hmmmm...

I believe the voucher is only good for power tools, expires 12/2017 so
plenty of time to ponder.

-BR

Does anyone have the Kapex CMS? Is it worth the $1475? Wow, I thought
it was closer to $1000... I'll probably get a LOT more bang for the buck
with another brand!

The smallest vac, the CT SYS HEPA vac does sure look like it'll be light
enough to move around fairly easily. When I use my RO125 at the club, I
have to bring my Fein along and that's not fun.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/09/2016 9:43 AM, Brewster wrote:

I believe the voucher is only good for power tools, expires 12/2017 so
plenty of time to ponder.

The Woodcraft disclaimer says:

"* The rebate coupon is valid until December 31, 2016 and can be used on
any future purchase of a Festool tool, except for the PRO 5 LTD. Rebates
cannot be combined."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09 Oct 2016 05:12:59 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in
:

[...]

I think there was a tread on FOG saying that they were having a lot of
problems with them and that Festool wasn't standing behind the
product. You might take a look. They were in the $1100 range but
that was several across-the-board price increases ago.

The smallest vac, the CT SYS HEPA vac does sure look like it'll be light
enough to move around fairly easily. When I use my RO125 at the club, I
have to bring my Fein along and that's not fun.

Even the big ones are easy to move. The rear handle makes it sorta
like a hand truck. The wheels are big enough that it has no trouble
going up and down stairs, for example. They aren't heavy, anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/9/2016 1:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
krw wrote in
:

[...]

Itwas closer 1200 then 1400. Every couple of years you get an email that
says get them b4 we raise the price. Then they really raise them. Not by
a little.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/9/2016 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Snip

The smallest vac, the CT SYS HEPA vac does sure look like it'll be light
enough to move around fairly easily. When I use my RO125 at the club, I
have to bring my Fein along and that's not fun.

Puckdropper

Itwas closer 1200 then 1400. Every couple of years you get an email that
says get them b4 we raise the price. Then they really raise them. Not by
a little.

I have observed some Festool prices come down after a so called price
increase. Most prices go up, some actually come down, typically table
parts and other accessories.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 22:57:18 -0400, krw wrote:

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 07:58:39 -0600, Brewster wrote:

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's an outstanding price on an outstanding sander. It says "Out of
Stock" but Highland has them, complete with free shipping.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festool-pro-5-random-orbit-sander.aspx

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the chimney
today. They do exist. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote in
:

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the chimney
today. They do exist. ;-)

Where do you live? I'm just trying to figure out when Santa will deliver
mine. :-)

(I guess I could check the tracking link, but what's the fun in that?)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/2016 11:23 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
krw wrote in
:

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the chimney
today. They do exist. ;-)

Where do you live? I'm just trying to figure out when Santa will deliver
mine. :-)

(I guess I could check the tracking link, but what's the fun in that?)

Puckdropper

Radar indicates........ LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 11/2/2016 11:23 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
krw wrote in
:

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the
chimney today. They do exist. ;-)

Where do you live? I'm just trying to figure out when Santa will
deliver mine. :-)

(I guess I could check the tracking link, but what's the fun in
that?)

Puckdropper

Radar indicates........ LOL

Santa dropped it on the porch today. Got some play time in with it and
then went to finish setting the knives on the jointer. I do like the new
Systainer design, it's sure a lot easier to use.

It uses the same size sandpaper as my other sander, so I'm all set.

I did find a hanging chad, though! Election time is near so vote your
conscience (and don't be afraid to write in "none of the above!")

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03 Nov 2016 04:23:09 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

krw wrote in
:

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the chimney
today. They do exist. ;-)

Where do you live? I'm just trying to figure out when Santa will deliver
mine. :-)

Just outside of Atlanta, about 20mi from Highland. I'll be there
tomorrow (have a consultation with a surgeon about 2mi from Highland).

(I guess I could check the tracking link, but what's the fun in that?)

They didn't waste any time after the 1st.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/16 7:19 PM, krw wrote:
On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 22:57:18 -0400, krw wrote:

On Sat, 8 Oct 2016 07:58:39 -0600, Brewster wrote:

I don't know if people have seen this promotion, but my PC 5" orbital is
getting long in the tooth so I thought I'd take a trip to the green side.

http://tinyurl.com/jsnx3zx

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's an outstanding price on an outstanding sander. It says "Out of
Stock" but Highland has them, complete with free shipping.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/festool-pro-5-random-orbit-sander.aspx

Santa came early and dropped my Festool Pro-5 sander down the chimney
today. They do exist. ;-)

Mine is set to be delivered 11/7. I was pleased to see the voucher is
indeed good 'til 12/2017.

I've been pondering what to do with all that Fes-cash I will soon have.
Anyone have comments on the cheapest Fes-vac?

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...-ct-sys-584174

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2016 9:14 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 11/2/16 7:19 PM, krw wrote:
[...]

Would you vacuum your home with a Dust Buster? IMHO this vac will be
good for portability to job sites but for a daily user in your shop you
probably want to look at something with more capacity. You might find
that changing the bag, 3~6 times more often than a larger vac, might
make this vac more expensive in the long run.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/16 7:19 PM, krw wrote:
[...]

Yep. That was my thought when I went for the largest. I hate
changing bags. Worse, they always need to be changed when I really
want to be doing something else. With the handle, it's pretty easy to
move, anyway. It moves up stairs, if I ever need to do it, like a
very lightly loaded hand truck - easy. It's significantly more money
but I ascribe to the "only cry once" philosophy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/16 8:32 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/5/2016 9:14 AM, Brewster wrote:

Mine is set to be delivered 11/7. I was pleased to see the voucher is
indeed good 'til 12/2017.

I've been pondering what to do with all that Fes-cash I will soon have.
Anyone have comments on the cheapest Fes-vac?

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...-ct-sys-584174

-BR

Would you vacuum your home with a Dust Buster? IMHO this vac will be
good for portability to job sites but for a daily user in your shop you
probably want to look at something with more capacity. You might find
that changing the bag, 3~6 times more often than a larger vac, might
make this vac more expensive in the long run.

I should clarify, the vac would be an accessory for the sander, dust
collection. I have a larger shop vac, but something more portable and
potentially more effective would be nice.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

Brewster wrote in :

Mine is set to be delivered 11/7. I was pleased to see the voucher is
indeed good 'til 12/2017.

I've been pondering what to do with all that Fes-cash I will soon
have. Anyone have comments on the cheapest Fes-vac?

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...s/dust-extract
or-ct-sys-584174

-BR

It's not a bad vacuum, but like Leon and krw have said you give up
capacity for portability. The bag really isn't all that big, so don't
expect it to do serious cleanup... it's a sander only vac. Don't expect
to plug your table saw in to this, even to use it as an extension cord.
The outlet was pretty limited in what the max wattage was.

That being said, the hose storage on top is nice (I wish they had given
me a tiny bit more space, a 1/2" deeper would make a huge difference) and
the machine is really quite light. Both the sander and the vacuum are
easy to pick up and take somewhere. Taking my big vac down to the club
was difficult as it was just so huge.

Noise wise, the sander is louder than the vacuum. It's hard to come up
with something to compare it to, but you'll have to speak up to have a
conversation over the sander and vac but could probably have a
conversation with just the vac running.

If you are looking for a vacuum, you might see if you can still work a
combo deal with one of the dealers and save some more money. Sometimes
you can save more than $50 by buying a sander and vacuum combo. [Check
my figures, it was a while ago I looked at this.] Of course you've still
got the voucher but that's another Domino to fall. I think the RO125
would be a pretty nice complement to any shop, it's the only ROS you can
get 24 grit paper for! Aggressive when you need it, smooth when you want
it. It uses the same paper as your Pro-5, which is a nice bonus.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

Brewster wrote in
:

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool...rs/dust-extrac
[...]

Looking at the Mini or Midi, they're only about 5 lbs more but have
double or more the capacity. They're a little bigger and have wheels,
and might be better values overall.

Does anyone else have any input on this? I don't know about Brewster,
but I've already got a big shop vac for that kind of stuff. What I'm
looking for is something I can reasonably take with me, even if it is
just out of the garage into the house.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/16 10:05 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Brewster wrote in :

[...]

This is good info, thanks!

I'm thinking for general sanding in the shop and when I do sanding in
the house with renovation projects (trim, etc).

I have a large stationary cyclone dust collector, but it's a tad
impractical to fire up every time I use a hand sander.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/08/2016 8:58 AM, Brewster wrote:

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's the ploy of "the more you buy, the more you save!" unless you're
buying something else anyways...The Woodland "special deal" w/ one of
the dust collectors doesn't let you out of the store for under about
$550 total...

The sander at the price isn't a bad deal with the accessories included;
presuming it lives up to the reputation of its predecessors.

Didn't see it specifically on the Woodcraft page; I presume it's hook'n
loop; is there a PAS pad available? The cost differential for papers
the way I use one is more than I care to pay for long-term so I use PS
papers 90+% of time w/ just the occasional H&L when changing more often...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 10:15:24 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/08/2016 8:58 AM, Brewster wrote:

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's the ploy of "the more you buy, the more you save!" unless you're
buying something else anyways...The Woodland "special deal" w/ one of
the dust collectors doesn't let you out of the store for under about
$550 total...

Of course if you don't want a vac, buying one at 10% off doesn't make
a lot of sense. $100 for the sander, alone, is a good deal. If you
can use the $50 coupon for another tool, even better.

The sander at the price isn't a bad deal with the accessories included;
presuming it lives up to the reputation of its predecessors.

I assume... ;-)

Didn't see it specifically on the Woodcraft page; I presume it's hook'n
loop; is there a PAS pad available? The cost differential for papers
the way I use one is more than I care to pay for long-term so I use PS
papers 90+% of time w/ just the occasional H&L when changing more often...

At least the prior model is. It would be strange if they went away
from it at this point. After using them, I'm sold on H&L *and*
Festool paper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/9/2016 10:15 AM, dpb wrote:
On 10/08/2016 8:58 AM, Brewster wrote:

Basically a Festool for $50 (I'm assuming I can sell the $50 voucher to
Leon for $49 8^)

That's the ploy of "the more you buy, the more you save!" unless you're
buying something else anyways...The Woodland "special deal" w/ one of
the dust collectors doesn't let you out of the store for under about
$550 total...

The sander at the price isn't a bad deal with the accessories included;
presuming it lives up to the reputation of its predecessors.

A very good price, the one that most like, the ETS 125, is a bit lower
wattage is very close to $200.00. Oddly, same voltage, same amp, but
different wattage.

And I almost bought the ETS 125 a couple of months ago. I opted for the
more expensive ETS EC Brushless 125/3 after compairing and using both
side by side. It is a much more powerful finish sander that has a lower
center of gravity. Read that as easier to handle at different angles.

Didn't see it specifically on the Woodcraft page; I presume it's hook'n
loop; is there a PAS pad available? The cost differential for papers
the way I use one is more than I care to pay for long-term so I use PS
papers 90+% of time w/ just the occasional H&L when changing more often...

A word about hook and loop, BTW I believe all Festool sanders employ
some type of hook and loop.
I used to use PSA paper on Porter Cable sanders. I could not see the
advantage of H&L just for the ability to remove a grit and replace
later. I very often went through numerous pieces of the same grit
before ever considering changing to a different grit. And I used either
PC paper or 3M so I was buying a good quality paper.

Then about 8 years ago I replaced my right angle PC ROS with the Festool
Rotex 5" sander.

Things I noticed immediately were that this paper is far superior to
what I had been using. With the CT22 Festool vac, or any vac, the paper
very seldom loaded up. With that issue out of the way the paper stays
cooler and lasts longer.

I started using the Rubin Festool papers and was very happy. I felt
that the Rubin papers were lasting at least 50% longer than any of the
PC or 3M brands of paper. So that effectively made the Festool paper
less experience than it looked from an inexperienced point of view.

Later I found the Festool Crystal paper and it was shockingly long
lived. It could sand through glue and never load the paper. I will say
that it was not quite as tough as the Rubin papers but if you were
careful It would last at least 2 times longer than the Rubin paper with
regular sanding and 3~4 times longer when sanding glue squeeze out off
of fresh glued joints.

And in the past year I have discovered the Granat paper, light blue in
color.
This paper is phenomenal. It is about 90% as tough and resistant to
tear as the Rubin paper and in all seriousness it lasts 4~10 times
longer than the same grit Rubin.

I used one disk of the Granat 120 grit on "two" large projects. I used
it to sand the glue on all joints and I used to actually remove the
stain finish on one of the pieces that I was not happy with. That was
between 24 and 36 hours of applying the stain. No loading what so ever
from the glue or the stain. And the paper just seems to never quit cutting.

I tried a 10 pack of the Granat 120 grit in the beginning, I bought that
early last year. I am just about ready to run out and replace with a 50
pack..., there are 1 or 2 disks left from the 10 pack.

Last, with all of these papers it is difficult to look at the paper to
see if it is worn out. With a vac the paper remains clean. You have to
physically feel the grit to determine if it is still sharp. ;~)