Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing Technique Seen On Festool Video - Why Does He Do It That Way?

I'm interested in the finishing technique seen in this video at
exactly 2:00.

https://youtu.be/lPHATvqaiBI

AFAICT he is protecting the panel as he applies stain to the inside edge
of the stile, presumably to prevent getting any more stain on the panel.

I assume he stained the panel first so there is a bit of stained panel
inside the groove of the rails and stiles, so why didn't he stain the rails
and stiles before inserting the panels?

I'll be doing something similar this weekend and I was planning to
stain the uprights of this headboard before attaching them to the panel
so I don't have to be deal with the inside edges of the uprights once
they are attached.

http://imgur.com/a/G7F38

Am I missing something?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/30/2016 2:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm interested in the finishing technique seen in this video at
exactly 2:00.

https://youtu.be/lPHATvqaiBI

AFAICT he is protecting the panel as he applies stain to the inside edge
of the stile, presumably to prevent getting any more stain on the panel.

I assume he stained the panel first so there is a bit of stained panel
inside the groove of the rails and stiles, so why didn't he stain the rails
and stiles before inserting the panels?

All I can say is oversight--"oops!" If finishing first need to tape or
otherwise protect glue surfaces, but no reason not to finish all the
edges/surfaces needing finished.

Mayhaps this guy wanted to not get any inside the panel grooves, but I'd
not worry over that or if decided didn't want it, use a dummy piece of
ply/panel to fill the gap then.

IOW, I think there is no good reason to have to do what he's doing there.

$0.02, and I'm stickin' to it!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/16 3:10 PM, dpb wrote:
Mayhaps this guy wanted to not get any inside the panel grooves, but I'd
not worry over that or if decided didn't want it, use a dummy piece of
ply/panel to fill the gap then.

IOW, I think there is no good reason to have to do what he's doing there.

What he's doing in that video seems pretty quick and easy.
I think he can do that faster than he could use a scrap of ply to fill
the gap to do it before assembly.
That might explain it. If he's done bunch of those, he's determined it
faster and easier to do it that way.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the terrible stain
matching/blotching. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 4:22:42 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/30/16 3:10 PM, dpb wrote:
Mayhaps this guy wanted to not get any inside the panel grooves, but I'd
not worry over that or if decided didn't want it, use a dummy piece of
ply/panel to fill the gap then.

IOW, I think there is no good reason to have to do what he's doing there.

What he's doing in that video seems pretty quick and easy.
I think he can do that faster than he could use a scrap of ply to fill
the gap to do it before assembly.
That might explain it. If he's done bunch of those, he's determined it
faster and easier to do it that way.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with the terrible stain
matching/blotching. :-)

Well, actually, my headboard staining won't match because the wood starts
out as different colors and my daughter wants to keep it that way.

In fact, on the outside edges of the headboard, every other board is cut
short and a piece of "side grain" wood is inserted. These alternating pieces
will take the stain differently and "not match". I did this on the bunk beds
I built for the boys many years ago and my (now adult) daughter wants the
same look.

Thanks for the opinion on the finishing technique. I'll be doing mine
separately as planned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 3:10 PM, dpb wrote:

IOW, I think there is no good reason to have to do what he's doing there.

Concur ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 2:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm interested in the finishing technique seen in this video at
exactly 2:00.

https://youtu.be/lPHATvqaiBI

AFAICT he is protecting the panel as he applies stain to the inside edge
of the stile, presumably to prevent getting any more stain on the panel.

I assume he stained the panel first so there is a bit of stained panel
inside the groove of the rails and stiles, so why didn't he stain the rails
and stiles before inserting the panels?

I'll be doing something similar this weekend and I was planning to
stain the uprights of this headboard before attaching them to the panel
so I don't have to be deal with the inside edges of the uprights once
they are attached.

http://imgur.com/a/G7F38

Am I missing something?

He did not stain the inside edges of the "stiles" and rails because he
did not want the finish to block the glue surface at the joints.

I always tape off the section where the glue will adhere and stain and
varnish the insides edges first. My experience is that a "little" bit
of finish in the joint is OK but you want most of the joint to be bare
wood against bare wood for the best adhesion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/16 3:23 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I guess my question in his situation would be, "what glue?"
For an inset panel door, the panel is supposed to move freely, correct.
Even when making a table with breadboard ends, you're not supposed to
glue and if you do, you only glue a small section.

So whatever that guy built, it's a solid wood panel & frame
construction, meaning there shouldn't be any glue in that joint anyway.
Isn't that correct or am I missing something?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 4:33:08 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/30/16 3:23 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

If you watch the whole video, you'll see that he is building "barn doors".

Probably for one of Leon's high end clients. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/30/2016 3:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 4:33:08 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:

So whatever that guy built, it's a solid wood panel& frame
construction, meaning there shouldn't be any glue in that joint anyway.
Isn't that correct or am I missing something?

If you watch the whole video, you'll see that he is building "barn doors".

Even so, those panels shouldn't be glued solid, agreed.

Referring to the other comment here rather than two postings, I
personally wouldn't bother to make the insert as noted but even if did
if has done a number of 'em, how long overall does it take to slice a 3"
wide piece of 1/4" or whatever the groove is ply off a sheet and have it?

I just don't see not finishing the edges at the same time as the rest of
the piece, whether you finish individual pieces first or the whole thing
at the end (which is asking for a gap line to show when the panel
shrinks so that's not really a good option).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 3:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/30/16 3:23 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

The glue at holds the rails and stiles together.

So whatever that guy built, it's a solid wood panel & frame
construction, meaning there shouldn't be any glue in that joint anyway.
Isn't that correct or am I missing something?

No glue in that joint, the glue would be in the rail and stile joint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/16 4:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/30/2016 3:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/30/16 3:23 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Correct, but in that case you would do what you did and put masking tape
over those sections.
I don't see either technique taking any more time than the other, except
that if you're already set up for staining you may as well tape the
frame joints and do it all at once.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 4:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/30/16 4:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/30/2016 3:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/30/16 3:23 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Yes, either he has not figured out taping or he forgot. Staining after
the fact as he is going will almost always result with dark stained
corners and the corners are tough to get to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 2:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm interested in the finishing technique seen in this video at
exactly 2:00.

https://youtu.be/lPHATvqaiBI

AFAICT he is protecting the panel as he applies stain to the inside edge
of the stile, presumably to prevent getting any more stain on the panel.

I assume he stained the panel first so there is a bit of stained panel
inside the groove of the rails and stiles, so why didn't he stain the rails
and stiles before inserting the panels?

I'll be doing something similar this weekend and I was planning to
stain the uprights of this headboard before attaching them to the panel
so I don't have to be deal with the inside edges of the uprights once
they are attached.

http://imgur.com/a/G7F38

Am I missing something?

Every one look at the video at 2:00 minutes again. The joint that
receives glue is the one between the mid rail and the stile that he is
staining. You want glue at that joint, not the panel. You do not want
stain where the rail and stile are glued together.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 4:08 PM, Leon wrote:
Every one look at the video at 2:00 minutes again. The joint that
receives glue is the one between the mid rail and the stile that he is
staining. You want glue at that joint, not the panel. You do not want
stain where the rail and stile are glued together.

On the video I'm watching he is staining the inside edge of the stile,
in between a top/bottom rail and the intermediate rail, and on what
appears to be door frame that is already assembled and glued.

So, his operation does not appear to be necessary IMO, but I might be
missing something in the original question?

That said, there could be one other explanation for doing that ... the
use of rubber/plastic barrels/spacers in the grooves to keep the panels
centered.

Rubber/plastic spacers may not last very long when coated with an oil
based stain that will get into the grooves during application?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 4:20 PM, Swingman wrote:

That said, there could be one other explanation for doing that ... the
use of rubber/plastic barrels/spacers in the grooves to keep the panels
centered.

Rubber/plastic spacers may not last very long when coated with an oil
based stain that will get into the grooves during application?

Or, instead of keeping the fresh stain out of the grooves, he is trying
to keep it away from already dried stain on the panels.

We all know how easy it is to lighten, or darken, an already dried area
with fresh stain when trying to just do a spot/partial area.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/30/2016 4:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

Or, instead of keeping the fresh stain out of the grooves, he is trying
to keep it away from already dried stain on the panels.

Think we're all agreed on that; question is "why would you need to if
had just stained the edges with the rest of the stile?"

Seems like an unneeded step to me, fer shure...plus, unless there was
something unique about this one particular piece, he's got eight of
those to do for every panel--that'll begin to add up even if not so much
for the one...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 5:35:07 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 09/30/2016 4:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

Or, instead of keeping the fresh stain out of the grooves, he is trying
to keep it away from already dried stain on the panels.

Think we're all agreed on that; question is "why would you need to if
had just stained the edges with the rest of the stile?"

That sounds like you are assuming he stained the face of the stile before
assembly. I was assuming, based on the fact that he was staining the edge
after assembly, that he stained the face after assembly, then moved on
to the edge.

Seems like an unneeded step to me, fer shure...plus, unless there was
something unique about this one particular piece, he's got eight of
those to do for every panel--that'll begin to add up even if not so much
for the one...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 5:20:52 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 9/30/2016 4:08 PM, Leon wrote:
Every one look at the video at 2:00 minutes again. The joint that
receives glue is the one between the mid rail and the stile that he is
staining. You want glue at that joint, not the panel. You do not want
stain where the rail and stile are glued together.

On the video I'm watching he is staining the inside edge of the stile,
in between a top/bottom rail and the intermediate rail, and on what
appears to be door frame that is already assembled and glued.

So, his operation does not appear to be necessary IMO, but I might be
missing something in the original question?

No, you did not miss anything in my question. The technique for keeping
the stain off of the panel caught my eye as something that I might use until
it dawned on me that I couldn't figure out why he was even doing it.

That said, there could be one other explanation for doing that ... the
use of rubber/plastic barrels/spacers in the grooves to keep the panels
centered.

Rubber/plastic spacers may not last very long when coated with an oil
based stain that will get into the grooves during application?

Then why not block the groove with a spare "panel" as a means to reduce
the risk of getting *any* stain on the real panel?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 4:08 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Two reasons for staining the edge after assembly.

1. He forgot to stain before assembly.
2. He has not yet figured out to tape the joint intersections and pre
stain before assembly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2016 4:08 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well, it is a Festool video, right from their website.

Maybe he ran out of green tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 12:59:19 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I assume he stained the panel first so there is a bit of stained
panel inside the groove of the rails and stiles, so why didn't he
stain the rails and stiles before inserting the panels?

easy he is so excited with his festools that he forgot the basics

all the time he saved with the biscuits he lost on staining

but why are barn doors a thing now and why they calling them
barn doors

guess they make sense for a large opening but still not going to give
much privacy

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I assume he stained the panel first so there is a bit of stained
panel inside the groove of the rails and stiles, so why didn't he
stain the rails and stiles before inserting the panels?

easy he is so excited with his festools that he forgot the basics

all the time he saved with the biscuits he lost on staining

but why are barn doors a thing now and why they calling them
barn doors

- They take virtually no floor space, kinda like pocket doors
without the pocket.

- They're "industrial" looking, which is in vogue, right now.

- They're a "thing" now because people like them. So what?

They're called "barn doors" because they are barn doors.

guess they make sense for a large opening but still not going to give
much privacy

That's not the point. You don't often see them on bathrooms or
bedrooms.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Who cares, I say.
All I know is, in about 15 years I'm going to make a bunch of money
replacing them with regular doors once they go out of vogue and everyone
realizes what a PITA they are. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Exactly.

All I know is, in about 15 years I'm going to make a bunch of money
replacing them with regular doors once they go out of vogue and everyone
realizes what a PITA they are. :-)

The ones that I've seen aren't being used as doors, again, much like
pocket doors.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2016 11:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

All I know is, in about 15 years I'm going to make a bunch of money
replacing them with regular doors once they go out of vogue and everyone
realizes what a PITA they are.

I've installed one in a bedroom, and one in a home office.

Decided after the last one that I will just pass on any future requests.

This one is in the master bedroom. The now have kids, but, when recently
asked how it was working out, they don't seem to mind the lack of
privacy, so far ...

I'm thinking the kids aren't old enough yet. Just wait.

https://goo.gl/photos/UK3c9Zr9HvorKERDA

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/16 11:19 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/4/2016 11:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

All I know is, in about 15 years I'm going to make a bunch of money
replacing them with regular doors once they go out of vogue and everyone
realizes what a PITA they are.

I've installed one in a bedroom, and one in a home office.

Decided after the last one that I will just pass on any future requests.

This one is in the master bedroom. The now have kids, but, when recently
asked how it was working out, they don't seem to mind the lack of
privacy, so far ...

I'm thinking the kids aren't old enough yet. Just wait.

https://goo.gl/photos/UK3c9Zr9HvorKERDA

Nice work, as usual.
I call them "exterior pocket doors."
There's always an attraction to "old stuff" with interior decorators.
Farm sinks, barn doors, shiplap, and all kinds of things that were done
away with for good reason.

As soon as these fads hit the shelves of Lowes & Home Depot is when I
know they're on the way out. Like when the Gap starts stocking winter
clothing in July. It's too late to be on the cutting edge, you're just
on the bandwagon now.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take their money. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 11:19:41 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/4/2016 11:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

All I know is, in about 15 years I'm going to make a bunch of money
replacing them with regular doors once they go out of vogue and everyone
realizes what a PITA they are.

I've installed one in a bedroom, and one in a home office.

Decided after the last one that I will just pass on any future requests.

This one is in the master bedroom. The now have kids, but, when recently
asked how it was working out, they don't seem to mind the lack of
privacy, so far ...

That's actually a pretty good application for one. With a
conventional door, that space in the corner would be useless.

I'm thinking the kids aren't old enough yet. Just wait.

Why would it afford less privacy? It isn't lockable? Seems a broom
stick would solve that. ;-)

https://goo.gl/photos/UK3c9Zr9HvorKERDA

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what you consider "often" but an image search for "barn door bathroom" or
"barn door bedroom" will bring up a lot of different ways barn doors are used on both.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Never seen that. My wife is an HGTV junky. They've used them for
living rooms and kitchens but I've never seen them used on bathrooms.
Bedrooms, maybe, in lofts or whatever.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

As is mine, which means I get a healthy dose of it also. ;-)

They've used them for
living rooms and kitchens but I've never seen them used on bathrooms.
Bedrooms, maybe, in lofts or whatever.

Directly from the HGTV website, from bedroom into bathroom. A two-fer!

http://videos.hgtv.com/video/sliding...n-door-0208295

In addition, Jason (of HGTV's Fixer Upper fame) recently removed a pocket door
from one part of a house and installed it, barn door style (with exposed hardware)
in the bathroom. He surprised both Johanna and the homeowners.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

In real life, I have only seen 2 sliding barn doors that I recall. One was
on a master bedroom entry and the other I stalled on a master bath entry.
Personally I do not like them.