Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Vent - Why Don't Stain Colors Match Across Brands?

So I've been testing various stains for my daughter's bed project. I'm finding that nobody's finish
colors match, some aren't even close. Minwax Polyshades Pecan doesn't even come close to
Old Master's Pecan Gel, Watco Oil Cherry doesn't come close Zar's Cherry Wiping stain.
In fact, via a call to MInWax, I found out that their own Polyshades Pecan doesn't match their
own Golden Pecan Wiping stain.

I know that they are all different types of finishes, but the colors with the same names are so
different it's amazing.

My daughter likes the color of the MinWax Polyshades Pecan, but it needs to brushed on and I
don't have the patience to brush such a large project. In the end, I found that the Zar wiping stain
in Cherry comes very, very close to the Polyshades Pecan. Once it's stained, I'll decide on a
wipe-on final finish.

Props to Woodcraft and a local paint store for testing a bunch of finishes for me. In the end
it was the local paint store that found the best match.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 17:11:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

So I've been testing various stains for my daughter's bed project. I'm finding that nobody's finish
colors match, some aren't even close. Minwax Polyshades Pecan doesn't even come close to
Old Master's Pecan Gel, Watco Oil Cherry doesn't come close Zar's Cherry Wiping stain.
In fact, via a call to MInWax, I found out that their own Polyshades Pecan doesn't match their
own Golden Pecan Wiping stain.

I know that they are all different types of finishes, but the colors with the same names are so
different it's amazing.

I don't know why you think it's amazing. Different brands of paint
aren't the same, either.

My daughter likes the color of the MinWax Polyshades Pecan, but it needs to brushed on and I
don't have the patience to brush such a large project. In the end, I found that the Zar wiping stain
in Cherry comes very, very close to the Polyshades Pecan. Once it's stained, I'll decide on a
wipe-on final finish.

Props to Woodcraft and a local paint store for testing a bunch of finishes for me. In the end
it was the local paint store that found the best match.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2016 8:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
So I've been testing various stains for my daughter's bed project. I'm finding that nobody's finish
colors match, some aren't even close. Minwax Polyshades Pecan doesn't even come close to
Old Master's Pecan Gel, Watco Oil Cherry doesn't come close Zar's Cherry Wiping stain.
In fact, via a call to MInWax, I found out that their own Polyshades Pecan doesn't match their
own Golden Pecan Wiping stain.

I know that they are all different types of finishes, but the colors with the same names are so
different it's amazing.

Sometimes even natural finish varies from tree to tree. Stains offer
artistic license.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2016 7:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I guess it is like, why don't Ford wheels fit a Chevrolet? Basically
product protection.

I had to match Candle Light stain from Lawrence McFadden. They went out
of business several years ago. Oddly General Finishes had a very close
match with the same name color.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:35:33 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

Often times, when touching up or refinishing parts of/for old furniture, which has/had darkened considerably, I find Minwax oil based English Chestnut is a good match for many of the darkened/"blackened" old finishes.

Lately, I had to rebuild parts for an old oak filing cabinet. Sample stains on oak didn't match. English Chestnut-stained walnut matched the old darkened *finish of the cabinet.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2016 6:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
So I've been testing various stains for my daughter's bed project. I'm finding that nobody's finish
colors match, some aren't even close. Minwax Polyshades Pecan doesn't even come close to
Old Master's Pecan Gel, Watco Oil Cherry doesn't come close Zar's Cherry Wiping stain.
In fact, via a call to MInWax, I found out that their own Polyshades Pecan doesn't match their
own Golden Pecan Wiping stain.

How would you resolve this? Have some federal bureaucrat impose a color
standard? Have one company make whatever colors it wants, and make
everyone else match it? Would you have the standard-setting company
make its formula public so others could match it?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 09/28/2016 7:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There'd be no challenge in that!

I'd think it obvious why and is clearly advantageous that there are the
multitude from which to choose.

One can, of course, build any color one wants with dyes and some
knowledge of how color works (which isn't all _that_ hard, but it isn't
totally intuitive, either, without some education/training).

It's pretty-much a lost art outside of some specialty places in my
experience what with the advent of the machine-matching gear.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 14:42:21 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 9/28/2016 6:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
So I've been testing various stains for my daughter's bed project. I'm finding that nobody's finish
colors match, some aren't even close. Minwax Polyshades Pecan doesn't even come close to
Old Master's Pecan Gel, Watco Oil Cherry doesn't come close Zar's Cherry Wiping stain.
In fact, via a call to MInWax, I found out that their own Polyshades Pecan doesn't match their
own Golden Pecan Wiping stain.

How would you resolve this? Have some federal bureaucrat impose a color
standard? Have one company make whatever colors it wants, and make
everyone else match it? Would you have the standard-setting company
make its formula public so others could match it?

But make sure the federal government sells the right to impose the
color standards. Pantone would be a great choice, so we know the
bureaucrat wil say no till they donate to many candidates and have
them override the bureaucrats.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2016 4:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

How would you resolve this? Have some federal bureaucrat impose a color
standard? Have one company make whatever colors it wants, and make
everyone else match it? Would you have the standard-setting company
make its formula public so others could match it?

Sounds like something the EU would do. Send your paint samples to
Brussels for approval.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 2:24:24 PM UTC-7, dpb wrote:

One can, of course, build any color one wants with dyes and some
knowledge of how color works (which isn't all _that_ hard, but it isn't
totally intuitive, either, without some education/training).

That's not just what one can do, it's what one MUST do.
The ritual of dabbing finishes on scraps is an essential
part of the joy of woodworking.

Every species, every individual tree, all the oils, stains, pigments,
and dyes, are a continual surprise (to me, at least). It's a bit
like a treasure hunt, really. So, experiment and enjoy!
As with all experimentation, keep a notebook handy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 09/28/2016 7:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There'd be no challenge in that!

I'd think it obvious why and is clearly advantageous that there are the
multitude from which to choose.

One can, of course, build any color one wants with dyes and some knowledge
of how color works (which isn't all _that_ hard, but it isn't totally
intuitive, either, without some education/training).

It's pretty-much a lost art outside of some specialty places in my
experience what with the advent of the machine-matching gear.

Which only works if the person using it understands what they are doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 6:31:13 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 09/28/2016 7:11 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

There'd be no challenge in that!

I'd think it obvious why and is clearly advantageous that there are the
multitude from which to choose.

One can, of course, build any color one wants with dyes and some knowledge
of how color works (which isn't all _that_ hard, but it isn't totally
intuitive, either, without some education/training).

It's pretty-much a lost art outside of some specialty places in my
experience what with the advent of the machine-matching gear.

Which only works if the person using it understands what they are doing.

....and has all sorts of finishes and dyes available to mix, something
the occasional weekend hobbyist woodworker (such as myself) might
not have.

Now, I could probably come with all sorts of *paint* colors using the
leftovers I have, but my supply of stains is limited and dyes is nil. ;-)