Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sealer on top of minwax stain?

My son and I made a skateboard ramp from 2x4s and cheap plywood.

It will be stored outside and needs to survive for 2-3 years.

This is definitely a "cheap" product, I just do not want it to rot or
plywood to delaminate prematurely.

We already stained this ramp with minwax oil stain.

Do I need to apply sealer on top of minwax?

If so, which one? Also oil based?

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/28/2016 3:20 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote:
My son and I made a skateboard ramp from 2x4s and cheap plywood.

It will be stored outside and needs to survive for 2-3 years.

This is definitely a "cheap" product, I just do not want it to rot or
plywood to delaminate prematurely.

We already stained this ramp with minwax oil stain.

Do I need to apply sealer on top of minwax?

Yeah, the stain is only a stain, not a finish.

If so, which one? Also oil based?

Well, for the stated purpose, I'd've just gone for paint but since you
already stained it, use a good _exterior_ spar varnish. I'm not sure
Minwax makes any products for exterior use otomh; I use the old original
stain and the oil finish quite a lot but have never been at all
impressed with any of their other products.

If it's not exterior ply, I'd seriously consider putting a banding
around the outer edges to further protect the plies; the end grain will
be a sponge and the main problem.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-08-28, dpb wrote:
[...]

Please forgive my confusion, but are there any oil based sealers? That
should work on top of minwax?? Am I missing anything?

thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/28/2016 5:44 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote:
On 2016-08-28, dpb wrote:
[...]

Yes, most all, but few except for a "Spar" vanish will holed up to
ultraviolet sun rays. "Opaque" finishes hold up best when exposed to sun
light.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/28/2016 5:44 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote:

Please forgive my confusion, but are there any oil based sealers? That
should work on top of minwax?? Am I missing anything?

Varnishes are oil-based (well, yes, there are now some water-based as
well, but unlike paint, oil-based varnishes are still widely available).

They will adhere to the Minwax stain just fine; the "spar" in spar
varnish indicates it is formulated for exterior and marine use; the
difference between it and "ordinary" exterior varnishes is it is
formulated to remain somewhat pliable when dry so it won't crack with
underlying wood movement and also has UV inhibitors which is the bane of
exterior (particularly clear) finishes.

If you're not wanting to paint, it's what you want...Epifanes Clear is
my personal favorite for top-quality product..

https://www.epifanes.com/page/clear-finishes

---

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/28/2016 3:20 PM, Ignoramus10118 wrote:

So, Iggy, did you "get 'er done?" How'd it end up turning out?

"Inquiring minds" and all that, ya' know...

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 15:20:03 -0500
Ignoramus10118 wrote:

My son and I made a skateboard ramp from 2x4s and cheap plywood.

some are stain and sealer in one

but you might want to test how the wheels grip with these coatings
before you apply them

also you may just want to invest in a tarp or two and cover it

and i hear that insurance companies are now scanning satellite photos
programatically for trampolines and skateboard ramps

also some municipalities do the same and then come knocking asking
for a permit or issuing a citation where ramps are not allowed

there are ways to check for the time of day when the satellites pass
over head

What to thin Minwax stain with? Norm Dresner Woodworking 7 September 30th 19 04:43 AM
Old Minwax stain Wilfred Xavier Pickles Woodworking 16 January 25th 11 09:58 PM
Minwax gel stain $3.49 / qt Artemus[_2_] Woodworking 0 July 24th 09 03:44 AM
Minwax Stain Won't Dry DerbyDad03 Woodworking 5 March 6th 08 04:40 PM
minwax polycrylic on top of minwax oil based stain OUTDOORS sdowney1 Woodworking 3 September 1st 06 06:18 AM