Posted to rec.woodworking

Default woodworking and humor sometimes works

funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trd/5679325509.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trd/5679325509.html

I would want to get paid, in cash, hourly if I was working for that guy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:20:58 -0400
Bill wrote:

I would want to get paid, in cash, hourly if I was working for that
guy.

may be get a written contract

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 18:20:58 -0400
Bill wrote:

I would want to get paid, in cash, hourly if I was working for that
guy.

may be get a written contract

I'd feel better with the cash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trd/5679325509.html

It would fun to reply just to see what he says.

"I am available. Will you cover transportation costs from the east coast? I
am used to my own tools, so you'd need to cover shipping for them also. If
you bought new bits for the router, I'd be willing to use those. Mine are
dull. FYI - I don't work weekends, which includes Fridays. Mondays are iffy."

That oughta get a rise out him.

BTW...what's with all the images of doors/doorways? His ad was for window
frames.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trd/5679325509.html

It would fun to reply just to see what he says.

"I am available. Will you cover transportation costs from the east coast? I
am used to my own tools, so you'd need to cover shipping for them also. If
you bought new bits for the router, I'd be willing to use those. Mine are
dull. FYI - I don't work weekends, which includes Fridays. Mondays are iffy."

That oughta get a rise out him.

BTW...what's with all the images of doors/doorways? His ad was for window
frames.

Personally, I'd prefer not to work for a contractor who doesn't know the
difference between a window and a door! ; ) He keeps describing how
easy the work is. To me that sounds like he wants to keep the money
from the job for himself. Who do we know who is close to north Seattle?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trd/5679325509.html

It would fun to reply just to see what he says.

"I am available. Will you cover transportation costs from the east coast? I
am used to my own tools, so you'd need to cover shipping for them also. If
you bought new bits for the router, I'd be willing to use those. Mine are
dull. FYI - I don't work weekends, which includes Fridays. Mondays are iffy."

That oughta get a rise out him.

BTW...what's with all the images of doors/doorways? His ad was for window
frames.

Why would you pay $40-50 an hour for completed work? Wouldn't you just
pay for completed work (or pay by the hour?)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Why would you pay $40-50 an hour for completed work? Wouldn't you
just pay for completed work (or pay by the hour?)

That's part of the scam. The hourly rate is a diversion. He claims to pay
for completed work, but I bet he'll find something you didn't finish to
avoid paying. At that time, you'll be no longer welcome on his property or
so frustrated with him you'll write the entire thing off.

He might be the kind of guy you only negotiate with with him being on the
wrong side of a Kill-O-Zap blaster.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 8, 2016 at 2:06:55 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I couldn't resist. I just replied to his ad asking why he had pictures of
doors in an ad related to window frame work. If he responds, I'll let you
know what he says.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/7/2016 11:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, August 6, 2016 at 4:43:55 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
funny ad for woodwork and carpentry help

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trd/5679325509.html

It would fun to reply just to see what he says.

"I am available. Will you cover transportation costs from the east coast? I
am used to my own tools, so you'd need to cover shipping for them also. If
you bought new bits for the router, I'd be willing to use those. Mine are
dull. FYI - I don't work weekends, which includes Fridays. Mondays are iffy."

That oughta get a rise out him.

BTW...what's with all the images of doors/doorways? His ad was for window
frames.

His ad says local to seattle only. Don't think he'll respond.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I received an email response from the poster of the ad. I'm including it
as written, except for the signature line. (I removed his personal
information mainly because it was technically a "private" email to me)

The grammar, spacing and punctuation is his. I'm not so sure about the
"Attention to Detail" noted in his signature line. ;-)

My question:

Hi! Why does your ad show pictures of doors and doorways if the work is
related to window frames?

His response:

carpentry is carpentry. im a carpenter.
mostly doors.
a window here and there. this specific
project is to make some window
frames. which require carpentry.

(The following appeared to be his default email signature)

Please call any time if you have any questions.

Thanks.

His Name
His Phone Number
His Company Name (supposed to be a link, but there was a space in it,
so it couldnt be clicked)
His Companys Phone Number

*Artisan Craftsmanship
*Personal Service
*Attention to Detail
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If he was in my town, I might try working for him, for the experience.
I met a "woodworker" (sort of) at a craft shop recently who was rather
afraid of telling anything for fear people were going to steal his
ideas. I didn't even ask him anything. But he mentioned alot of people
come in trace things, ask what sort of glue he uses, etc.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Take a trip to some of the "touristy" parts of Tennessee (or don't), and
see how "capitalistic" it is. Unbelievable!