Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pembroke Table

Can someone ID this wood, or narrow down the choices? Pembroke furniture, as this, is often cherry.
The front of the table, to me, appears to be walnut or stained a walnut-like shade of darkness.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?

Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2016 7:42 PM, Sonny wrote:
Can someone ID this wood, or narrow down the choices? Pembroke furniture, as this, is often cherry.
The front of the table, to me, appears to be walnut or stained a walnut-like shade of darkness.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?

Thanks.
Sonny

If you can see open pores in the wood, probably walnut. Closed pores
like maple, maybe cherry.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/27/2016 7:42 PM, Sonny wrote:
Can someone ID this wood, or narrow down the choices? Pembroke
furniture, as this, is often cherry.
The front of the table, to me, appears to be walnut or stained a walnut-like shade of darkness.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?

Cherry I'd say it isn't...more distinct grain in the table top than
generally would be found in cherry or maple...

The camera resolution is too poor to really tell details on the top.

The drawer front/legs while there's so much reflection/fog in the image
it's exceedingly difficult to see any thing but general, looks to me
like may well be a secondary wood such as soft maple stained to match
top--but with the haze who could tell?

Did you open the drawer and inspect end grain, etc.? What about
underside of top?

While far from firm, I'd venture there's good chance the top is walnut
but it could also easily be some lesser species dyed/stained...

So the answer is a firm "who knows for sure?" with a chance of a find...

--

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't have the table, here, to inspect it. A friend sent the pics and asked if I could ID the wood, as she wants to refinish it. It was purchased at Restore for $15. She was hoping it was cherry or a quality wood, otherwise, she wouldn't spend too much time or money on the refinish job.

She would likely need to strip it, then send pics to, possibly, better ID the wood.

I sent her this link, to follow our discusion, so maybe we'll get an update..... or I'll get more pics of the stripped table.

Thanks.
Sonny