Posted to rec.woodworking

Default watching videos

there are some good videos out there

by good i mean that the presenters know what they are doing and are
straight forward

i find the videos useful

but sometimes it is more enjoyable to learn by doing and making
mistakes

have picked up useful tips here and there from videos but nothing
beats just making things and learning as you go

which do you prefer or do you mix it up

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2016 1:46 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

there are some good videos out there

by good i mean that the presenters know what they are doing and are
straight forward

i find the videos useful

but sometimes it is more enjoyable to learn by doing and making
mistakes

have picked up useful tips here and there from videos but nothing
beats just making things and learning as you go

which do you prefer or do you mix it up

When I first got into woodworking it was mostly trial and error and a
couple of magazines. The local Woodcraft offered a course for beginners
over a few days. It was a great confidence builder as we made a simple
CD rack that was designed to incorporate re-sawing, jointing, thickness
planing, dado, rabbets, curves, hand planing.

It was a couple of days invested, but knowledge that lasts forever and
I'm not afraid to tackle anything.

An alternative is to move next door to a very experienced woodworker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:20:40 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I first got into woodworking it was mostly trial and error and a
couple of magazines. The local Woodcraft offered a course for

depending on what i am going to do i like trial and error especially
when the errors i make are salvaged into something usable

beginners over a few days. It was a great confidence builder as we
made a simple CD rack that was designed to incorporate re-sawing,
jointing, thickness planing, dado, rabbets, curves, hand planing.

It was a couple of days invested, but knowledge that lasts forever
and I'm not afraid to tackle anything.

learning by doing even in a class is probably close to doing it with
little to no knowledge

limited tools also can inspire new techniques

that is you get forced into coming up with a different approach

Someone must be watching out for them............ Count de Monet[_3_] UK diy 6 September 4th 10 03:48 PM
Watching the workers... Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 December 8th 09 04:55 PM
My TV is watching me [email protected] Home Repair 12 June 3rd 07 06:42 AM
Anyone watching CH4... George UK diy 16 March 2nd 07 08:40 PM
I WAS WATCHING THIS MOVIE Kim Cole Electronics Repair 21 March 26th 06 06:37 AM