Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw Help

My portable (on site) 10" Hitachi table saw took a dump the other day. I
disassembled the motor and discovered the winding bearings are shot.
Lowest replacement cost I found is $260 for the motor. As much as I
would love to buy a new full size TS, but that's not gonna happen.
Therefore, I've resorted to the used dept of either size and currently
there are several on CL but I'm uncertain of good brands and their value
other than the likes of Grizzly, Jets, Powermatic, etc.

I'm asking for suggestions and help to determine value and anything else
you can offer.

There is this much older Grizzly TS
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/5603285777.html that I may
consider (if I can fit it in my area) but not certain if it's worth the
asking price.

Also this Bosch portable model
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tld/5579125284.html

Dewalt http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/5613421892.html

Grizzly - they're asking $325 for this one
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tld/5608081399.html

There are many more but most are Craftsman which I'm staying away from
and a couple Rigids which I'm apprehensive about as well from reading
some reviews. Plus, I'm not sure I like the belt driven motor sticking out.

If anyone wants to see the others listed in my area and provide input,
it's appreciated, otherwise, I'll focus more so on what I provided
above. http://detroit.craigslist.org/search...ry=table%20saw

Thank you
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 9:20:22 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
[...]

Have you tried eBay for your Hitachi bearings?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/18/2016 9:19 AM, Meanie wrote:
My portable (on site) 10" Hitachi table saw took a dump the other day. I
disassembled the motor and discovered the winding bearings are shot.
Lowest replacement cost I found is $260 for the motor. ...

Were you satisfied with the saw or needing/wanting to upgrade anyway?

Is the shaft itself gone/worn; if not why not just replace bearings if
question above is "no" or "not really" (to the second half, anyway ).

What's the motor rating/form just out of curiosity; seems a little steep
albeit not absurd...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 10:23 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

NOt for the bearing itself but for the motor and that price was higher
than the lowest I found elsewhere. I wish I could replace just the
bearing but it appears to be pressed on, No screw/bolt to remove it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 10:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 06/18/2016 9:19 AM, Meanie wrote:
My portable (on site) 10" Hitachi table saw took a dump the other day. I
disassembled the motor and discovered the winding bearings are shot.
Lowest replacement cost I found is $260 for the motor. ...

Were you satisfied with the saw or needing/wanting to upgrade anyway?

Very satisfied. It was a good little saw and handled many big task for
at least 10 years. The reason I never went bigger was due to lack of space.

Is the shaft itself gone/worn; if not why not just replace bearings if
question above is "no" or "not really" (to the second half, anyway ).

The windings, shaft, bushings, etc all look good. That bottom bearing is
shot and per my reply above, appears to be pressed on otherwise I would
find another bearing to replace.

--

15 amp 110v. No HP rating though it can be converted.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Meanie" wrote in message ...

Dewalt http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/5613421892.html

I had one of those Dewalt 744's quite a while ago and used it for at least
ten years. I got it because it was portable enough to put into a dock cart
and take down to the dock where I was working on my boat. It was a good
little saw. The rack-and-pinion mechanism on the fence keeps the fence dead
parallel to the blade, with a useful range of 24 inches. There's stowage for
spare blades on the right-hand side under the table.

When I no longer needed it on the dock I sold it to a cabinetmaker friend
and he still uses it once in a while when he needs a saw at a job site. One
day the motor failed to start, but I was able to get it serviced under
warranty and never had trouble with it again. $180 sounds a little high to
me, though, but if it's not too old and has been well-cared-for it might be
an OK price.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 10:18:20 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFfVLYReE8o
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 12:19 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
[...]

Here is the housing with internal contacts and brushes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Here are the windings with the shaft and bearing at top.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Here are the windings with bottom bearing and where it makes contact
with brushes. That bottom bearing is the shot one.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

A closer view of it
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

And directly from bottom (or top) of that bearing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...posted-public/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 9:19 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Just something to consider if you are going with a used bench top again.
These saws are not built to last as long as contractor or cabinet saws
are.
Yours has become unusable, how long will it be before a used one becomes
unusable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 10:19 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

I may start a war, with this comment.

I have an old 1968 Craftsman 10' table saw. This was the high end
craftsman, not the elcheapo. I Have been using it for about 30 years
and it is still quite functional.

The Craftsman has a cast iron table with aluminum wings, giveing me
about a 36 inch square working area. I did have a problem with the 1hp
capacitor start motor that a repair man fixed for a couple of dollars
and showed my how to fix it in the future. (Clean our the area of the
motor where the capacitor is, and keep it clean.)

Because Craftsman table saws are looked down on you should be able to
get a good deal on the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 2:07:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I have one about the same vintage with cast iron extensions. Nice saw, but I wish it was bit older (like the '40s or '50).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

I would agree with Leon's point. If you have space, and
if you don't require portability, I think you would be
much wiser to pursue a contractors saw than a bench-top
saw.

When you say "not sure I like the belt driven motor
sticking out", is that specific to the Ridgid, or a
generic concern about contractor style saws? If the
latter, I don't think you need worry - I've used that
style saw for ages, and don't recall ever having an
issue with the motor or belt.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/18/2016 10:21 AM, Meanie wrote:

The windings, shaft, bushings, etc all look good. That bottom bearing is
shot and per my reply above, appears to be pressed on otherwise I would
find another bearing to replace.

What's the problem? A small puller and away's ya' goes...looks like
it's been _way_ hot, just as a comment...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 3:38 PM, John McCoy wrote:
[...]

I've been seeing them on Rigid and Craftsman models. Though, not all.
I'm not worried about the integrity of that design since it would be
easier to replace a motor and belt, just concerned about it sticking out
or impeding on the belt in my tight space. I also plan to make it
mobilized which could add to the hindrance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 3:07 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
[...]

Agreed, older Craftsman tools are great, unfortunately, my mindset stays
focused on the last few decades and current stuff, thus, leaving
apprehension in it's wake.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:

I may start a war, with this comment.

Not with me you won't...

I have an old 1968 Craftsman 10' table saw. This was the high end
craftsman, not the elcheapo. I Have been using it for about 30 years
and it is still quite functional.

Me too. I replaced the motor on mine years ago and I also replaced my
cast iron wings with wings I built myself out of cherry for the banding
and MDF for the surface material. At the same time I installed a new
fence system that gives me 24" on each side of the blade. I tore it
down a year or two ago and replaced the arbor bearing as well as
installing new pulleys and a link belt. I also installed a paddle
switch located at my left knee cap so it is easy to shut off at the
completion of a cut. I invested in a Woodworker II at the same time.
It's a wonderful tool at this time. It was always a good saw, but it's
just a thing of beauty now. Oh - i had also invested the time to align
the blade to the miter slot several years ago.

Because Craftsman table saws are looked down on you should be able to
get a good deal on the saw.

No reason to look down on the cast iron saws - they are good saws that
can be turned into great saws for little cost.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

I've been seeing them on Rigid and Craftsman models. Though, not all.
I'm not worried about the integrity of that design since it would be
easier to replace a motor and belt, just concerned about it sticking out
or impeding on the belt in my tight space. I also plan to make it
mobilized which could add to the hindrance.

Not sure why you're worrying about that. I've never had an issue with
my motor hanging off the back. You have to remember, anything you cut
is going to travel further than what the motor sticks out. There are no
issues with the belts on this design as long as your belt is in good
condition and your pulleys are as well. Mine is mounted on wheels and
that poses absolutely no issues at all.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 4:21 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Meanie wrote:

I've been seeing them on Rigid and Craftsman models. Though, not all.
I'm not worried about the integrity of that design since it would be
easier to replace a motor and belt, just concerned about it sticking out
or impeding on the belt in my tight space. I also plan to make it
mobilized which could add to the hindrance.

Not sure why you're worrying about that. I've never had an issue with
my motor hanging off the back. You have to remember, anything you cut
is going to travel further than what the motor sticks out. There are no
issues with the belts on this design as long as your belt is in good
condition and your pulleys are as well. Mine is mounted on wheels and
that poses absolutely no issues at all.

Thanks for the info. What's your opinion on the Rigid brand?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 11:21 AM, Meanie wrote:
).

The windings, shaft, bushings, etc all look good. That bottom bearing is
shot and per my reply above, appears to be pressed on otherwise I would
find another bearing to replace.

Yellow Pages: Motor rebuilding Cost of bearing + $20

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

I've been seeing them on Rigid and Craftsman models. Though, not all.
I'm not worried about the integrity of that design since it would be
easier to replace a motor and belt, just concerned about it sticking out
or impeding on the belt in my tight space. I also plan to make it
mobilized which could add to the hindrance.

Not sure why you're worrying about that. I've never had an issue with
my motor hanging off the back. You have to remember, anything you cut
is going to travel further than what the motor sticks out. There are no
issues with the belts on this design as long as your belt is in good
condition and your pulleys are as well. Mine is mounted on wheels and
that poses absolutely no issues at all.

Thanks for the info. What's your opinion on the Rigid brand?

It's been several years since I've looked at any Rigid saw so I really
can't say for today's products. Back around 10 years or maybe a little
less ago, they were a really good buy. Well built, lots of great
features, great warranty, etc. I'd really have to look at what they are
offering today before I could comment though. Hopefully others here
have more updated knowledge than I do. Just be careful of the guys who
start to raise concerns based upon nothing that they really know. A ton
of that can happen here...

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/18/2016 4:55 PM, Meanie wrote:

Thanks for the info. What's your opinion on the Rigid brand?

It's "RIDGID" like the pipe wrench folk -- who altho they licensed the
name they have nothing to do with the product...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 16:11:39 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

[...]

The saws I've seen without the "motor sticking out the back" have had
universal motors. You're much better off with an induction motor,
even it sticks out the back. You'd probably never have a bearing
problem again, and if you did, induction motors tend to be pretty
standard and easily replaced.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 2:38 PM, John McCoy wrote:
[...]

Well that or go for a "new" portable bench top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 2:07 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I may start a war, with this comment.

I have an old 1968 Craftsman 10' table saw. This was the high end
craftsman, not the elcheapo. I Have been using it for about 30 years
and it is still quite functional.

The Craftsman has a cast iron table with aluminum wings, giveing me
about a 36 inch square working area. I did have a problem with the 1hp
capacitor start motor that a repair man fixed for a couple of dollars
and showed my how to fix it in the future. (Clean our the area of the
motor where the capacitor is, and keep it clean.)

Because Craftsman table saws are looked down on you should be able to
get a good deal on the saw.

My first of 3 TS's was a new 1983 Craftsman with cast iron top and steel
solid extensions. When I sold it I replaced the extensions with formica
covered extensions and a 36" Jet Exacta rip fence. It was a decent saw
after all of that. The 1 hp motor did give me grief when ripping 3/4"
plywood if myself and a helper did not guide steady enough or slow enough.

After using it for 16 years I traded up to a Jet cabinet saw. and about
14 years got the industrial SawStop.

All three saws were/are on mobile bases and I cannot stress how much a
mobile base on a TS makes close quarters work areas less troublesome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Meanie wrote:

Have you tried eBay for your Hitachi bearings?

NOt for the bearing itself but for the motor and that price was
higher than the lowest I found elsewhere. I wish I could replace just
the
bearing but it appears to be pressed on, No screw/bolt to remove it.

Take it to a small motor repair shop. Odds are they will be able to replace
the bearing quite reasonably.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 8:48 PM, Leon wrote:
ses and I cannot stress how much a mobile base on a TS makes close
quarters work areas less troublesome.

This is something that I have always wondered why it did not get more press.

I first came across mobile desk when I was working in the laboratory.
We had many instruments and being mobile could be clustered as needed.

I currently have my table saw and work bench on wheels. The work bench
was made to be the same height as the table saw so it can be positioned
to be an out feed table when you are ripping on the table saw.

At other times the work bench is on the operator side of the table saw
and is a staging area for the pieces to be cut. I make a lot of
stretchers and picture frames. This means that if you are making a
lot of frames or stretchers you are going to have a pile of pieces to be
cut. It is nice to have every thing so you can reach it with a slight
turn.

I have even used the work bench to change the ceiling lights, as it can
be rolled under the light that needs to be change.

The work bench can be rolled over to the car or lawn tractor when you
are working on them.

When you change project every thing not needed is rolled to it storage
position.

Point being with everything on wheels you have a very flexible work area
that can be quite usable in a limited amount of space.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote in
:

It's been several years since I've looked at any Rigid saw so I really
can't say for today's products. Back around 10 years or maybe a
little less ago, they were a really good buy. Well built, lots of
great features, great warranty, etc. I'd really have to look at what
they are offering today before I could comment though. Hopefully
others here have more updated knowledge than I do. Just be careful of
the guys who start to raise concerns based upon nothing that they
really know. A ton of that can happen here...

If you find an Ridgid 3650 or 3660 (same saw, different package) in good
condition, it's well worth purchasing. It's been a fantastic saw, except
I'm not too fond of the way the guard attaches.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2016 7:19 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote in
:

It's been several years since I've looked at any Rigid saw so I really
can't say for today's products. Back around 10 years or maybe a
little less ago, they were a really good buy. Well built, lots of
great features, great warranty, etc. I'd really have to look at what
they are offering today before I could comment though. Hopefully
others here have more updated knowledge than I do. Just be careful of
the guys who start to raise concerns based upon nothing that they
really know. A ton of that can happen here...

If you find an Ridgid 3650 or 3660 (same saw, different package) in good
condition, it's well worth purchasing. It's been a fantastic saw, except
I'm not too fond of the way the guard attaches.

What do you not like about the way that the guard attaches? I have the
3650 and I think that it is very simple to remove or replace the guard.
All you have to do is twist one thumb screw.

Now, if you had said that you did not like the original adjustment of
the guard, then I would have agreed with you. I spent about an hour
before I found the right technique and it involved the use of a hammer
to get the splitter to be vertical.

However, now that I have the guard set correctly, it goes off and on
easily and is positioned correctly without anything more than tightening
the thumb screw.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Coby wrote in
:

On 6/18/2016 7:19 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

If you find an Ridgid 3650 or 3660 (same saw, different package) in
good condition, it's well worth purchasing. It's been a fantastic
saw, except I'm not too fond of the way the guard attaches.

What do you not like about the way that the guard attaches? I have the
3650 and I think that it is very simple to remove or replace the
guard. All you have to do is twist one thumb screw.

Now, if you had said that you did not like the original adjustment of
the guard, then I would have agreed with you. I spent about an hour
before I found the right technique and it involved the use of a hammer
to get the splitter to be vertical.

However, now that I have the guard set correctly, it goes off and on
easily and is positioned correctly without anything more than
tightening the thumb screw.

Dan

I don't like where it attaches. It's so far back from the blade that any
misalignment is magnified when you use it. I wasn't too fond of the
thumbscrew design, as it didn't seem to lock the guard back in place at
exactly the same place so I'd have to adjust and check and adjust and
check and....

Hm... now that I think about it... I adjusted the fence long after I had
removed the guard pretty much permanently. Some of the issues I had with
alignment may have been caused or magnified by the fence being slightly
angled. (It's well worth checking your fence and blade to make sure
they're exactly parallel to the miter slot!)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Meanie wrote:

[...]

I got one of the last of the TS3660s. It's been excellent. Very well
thought out design and well made. I don't know what they were thinking
with the replacement. The 3650/3660 addressed the big issue with
contractor-style saws, blade alignment, with an adjustment system that
makes the process trivially easy.

With the 4511/4512 that's gone and to make matters worse a lot of the
saws were sold with the adjustment holes incorrectly placed so that it
was not possible to achieve blade alignment without going after the
parts with a file or Dremel. Apparently this was addressed in mid-2013.
There's also a safety recall--don't use a dado set on a 4511 until
you've read the recall notice and checked serial numbers.
https://www.ridgid.com/Media/Default...ynotices/R4511
_PR.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

I don't like where it attaches. It's so far back from the blade that
any misalignment is magnified when you use it. I wasn't too fond of
the thumbscrew design, as it didn't seem to lock the guard back in
place at exactly the same place so I'd have to adjust and check and
adjust and check and....

I assume it's actually the splitter you're concerned about?
That's can be a valid issue - when I started woodworking I'd
take the guard and splitter off maybe once per year. Now,
even tho the guard is only on the saw maybe 20% of the time,
I'm frequently putting it on and taking it off (I use sleds
for crosscutting, dadoing, etc, which have their own guards
built on, so the factory guard/splitter is only on the saw
when I'm ripping).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote in news:nk4a7o$h3t$1@dont-
email.me:

I also replaced my
cast iron wings with wings I built myself out of cherry for the banding
and MDF for the surface material.

Y'know, that's a good idea. Dunno that I'd use cherry, but
I have half a sheet of MDF stuck in a corner somewhere crying
for a project to use it on. And slightly wider wings would
be useful.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

When you change project every thing not needed is rolled to it
storage position.

Point being with everything on wheels you have a very flexible work
area that can be quite usable in a limited amount of space.

The counter point to that is that, when you start a new project
everything is in the wrong place and you have to move it all
before you can start (which is exactly what I do) :-)

To Meanie's point about the motor sticking out the back of
a contractor style saw - this is the one time you have to
worry about it. With the saw on a mobile base it's easy
to mis-judge how far back the motor is, and bang it into
things while moving the saw.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote:
To Meanie's point about the motor sticking out the back of
a contractor style saw - this is the one time you have to
worry about it. With the saw on a mobile base it's easy
to mis-judge how far back the motor is, and bang it into
things while moving the saw.

Yeah, maybe, but that's not really a big issue to overcome. That seems
like a reach to justify worrying about the motor hanging off the back. I
have found that I can certainly deal with that issue.

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 15:54:36 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

Well that or go for a "new" portable bench top.

Ah, I wouldn't agree with that point :-)

I'm not a big fan of benchtop saws. I think a full size saw gives you
more power, more precision, more durability,
is more stable, and overall safer. So I wouldn't recommend a benchtop
unless someone was very constrained on space,

Well, there is an alternative with a bit of luck - an *old* contractors
saw from Delta. It's small enough to be called a benchtop, but it weighs
a ton and the motor is external. I have the 1948 model and it's very
compact and built like a tank. Even has an overhead blade guard. Like
all saws it needs a better miter gauge and a sliding table.

There is one flaw - the blade is fixed and the table moves, but I seldom
need to move it. Here's a link to a picture and no, I don't have the
jointer.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...ges/7063-A.JPG

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote in news:nk6jp2$581$1@dont-
email.me:

John McCoy wrote:
To Meanie's point about the motor sticking out the back of
a contractor style saw - this is the one time you have to
worry about it. With the saw on a mobile base it's easy
to mis-judge how far back the motor is, and bang it into
things while moving the saw.

Yeah, maybe, but that's not really a big issue to overcome. That seems
like a reach to justify worrying about the motor hanging off the back. I
have found that I can certainly deal with that issue.

Yes, you get used to allowing for it quickly enough.
And it's the only issue I've ever experienced with
the contractor style motor mount.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/19/2016 12:40 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Dan Coby wrote in
:

[...]

I checked the alignment of the blade when I first got the saw. The blade
was parallel to the slot. I did have to do some adjustment for the fence.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

I plan to pull the bearing and replace it. A friend has a bearing puller
which I will get tomorrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions.