Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Beads of Courage

Saw a presentation at a woodturning event last night from a charity,
Beads of Courage, that was looking for donations of boxes and bowls to
contain beads. They give beads to kids who are undergoing serious
medical treatment and the kids see them as badges of honour. There is a
different bead for each type of treatment so we saw pictures of kids
with huge, multistrand necklaces and it was heart breaking to see how
many were for chemo etc. Not all make necklaces but apparently the kids
are avid collectors. Their parents keep the beads in bowls or boxes if
the kids dont make it.

http://www.beadsofcourage.ca/about

It has given me ideas for some pieces I had been thinking of making.

The US organisation:http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/beadsofcourage.htm

Graham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:58:50 -0600, graham wrote:

Saw a presentation at a woodturning event last night from a charity,
Beads of Courage, that was looking for donations of boxes and bowls to
contain beads.

Just to clarify that, they want both turned round boxes and joined
rectangular ones. I'm a better woodworker than a wood turner, so I made
a few joined ones. There are guidelines on their website for dimensions.

Our turners club made some last year and we embedded a logo button
(available from their website) in each lid.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 06/04/2016 3:52 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:58:50 -0600, graham wrote:

Saw a presentation at a woodturning event last night from a charity,
Beads of Courage, that was looking for donations of boxes and bowls to
contain beads.

Just to clarify that, they want both turned round boxes and joined
rectangular ones. I'm a better woodworker than a wood turner, so I made
a few joined ones. There are guidelines on their website for dimensions.

Our turners club made some last year and we embedded a logo button
(available from their website) in each lid.

They had some logo "buttons" there last night. It is a worthwhile cause
where one can contribute something other than money.
Graham

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:58:50 -0600, graham wrote:

Saw a presentation at a woodturning event last night from a charity,
Beads of Courage, that was looking for donations of boxes and bowls
to contain beads.

Just to clarify that, they want both turned round boxes and joined
rectangular ones. I'm a better woodworker than a wood turner, so I
made a few joined ones. There are guidelines on their website for
dimensions.

Our turners club made some last year and we embedded a logo button
(available from their website) in each lid.

Here we go:
http://www.beadsofcourage.ca/woodworkers

Hm... That looks like fun. I might try making a bowl to their
guidelines and if it turns out ok I might send it to them.

Any troubles or tips for being in the US and sending things across the
border? I know on something like this you can write "gift" on the
Customs form and avoid certain fees.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here we go:
http://www.beadsofcourage.ca/woodworkers

Hm... That looks like fun. I might try making a bowl to their
guidelines and if it turns out ok I might send it to them.

Any troubles or tips for being in the US and sending things across the
border? I know on something like this you can write "gift" on the
Customs form and avoid certain fees.

Puckdropper

It started in the US. Here is their website:

courage Bill Wright[_3_] UK diy 17 February 26th 16 08:05 AM
Who makes Kohler Courage series engines? aemeijers Home Repair 5 September 27th 11 04:38 AM
((( WARNING ))) Pass it on if you have the courage. €  [email protected] Woodworking 3 April 3rd 07 01:07 PM
((( WARNING ))) Pass it on if you have the courage. €  [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 1st 07 11:34 PM
Stop Beads Before or After? [email protected] UK diy 2 January 15th 05 09:31 AM