Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default courage

What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 14:15:14 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

Well when I had blown plaster on the walls I felt a lot better after getting it all down and painting it with that black oil paint, took me over a year to get around to replastering. The on a DIY grand designs type program they did similar but left some parts of the wall unplasterted and had the unplaqstered bits a designer/decorative effect because there was some flint in the wall that they thought looked good so left it unplastered.

SO for ,e if removing somethihg or getting rid of something that makes me unhappy I become happier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I often wonder why a nackered wall looks good on a sunny day in Italy,
but just a mess at home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

Is beer in Australia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
web.com...
Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Is beer in Australia.

And then there's Dutch courage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2016 14:15, Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

I would say lack of money and blind faith.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/02/2016 15:19, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 24/02/2016 14:15, Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

I would say lack of money and blind faith.

Cheers

For me its not so much nerve but getting started as I then know I have
to keep going. I know my capabilities so never really out of my depth.

I have just finished a refurb of the shower room, only took me 5 months
:-) but the electrics took me a month to replace 4x halogens with 2x LED
panels (electrician would have been a couple of hours) The showerboard
was 7 weeks for delivery so another delay.

In total including wall & floor tiles, cement, plasterboard,
plywood,shower enclosure, shower (from elec to gas) radiator, sink
vanity unit,extractor fan. And all other bits & bobs my total cost is a
tad under £1500 and that includes the plumber who was £190 (mates rates)

So the project and cost certainly made me feel good.

The downside....she now wants the upstair one done :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/24/2016 3:43 PM, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2016 15:19, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 24/02/2016 14:15, Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

Oh I can *start* any job. It's getting round to finishing it once I get
bored that is the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh I can *start* any job. It's getting round to finishing it once I get
bored that is the problem.

I'm very sure that you are not alone in that sentiment but that's where
determination comes in to play.
The difference between try and triumph is a little 'oomph'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" Wrote in message:

Oh I can *start* any job. It's getting round to finishing it once I get
bored that is the problem.

I'm very sure that you are not alone in that sentiment but that's where
determination comes in to play.
The difference between try and triumph is a little 'oomph'.

In an early Diy SOS TV programme, they had a chap who one day
decided to replace his sitting room floor. He removed it all but
then didn't quite know who to proceed with putting in a knew one
. so they lived with no floor in the sitting room for a couple of
years :-)

--
Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 14:15:14 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.
It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong.

I was terrified the first time I cut into the water pipe, knowing I couldn't turn any water back on until I'd finished the job (or at least made the end water tight).

Taking out the consumer unit was a bit scarey, but I knew that in extremis I had some crocodile clips I could wire the kettle up to.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote

What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but also,
courage.

Never needed courage and I have done bigger
DIY projects than most in here, like design and
build a very large house on a bare block of land.

Didnt need much in the way of skill
either, taught myself how to stick weld
for the mostly steel framed house.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong.

Not if you know you can replace it with something better.

Taking the sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the
nice lawn and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

I asked the local plant hire operation to clear the
block after I had removed the only tree that was
where the house was going to go. She said that
the best way to do it was with a road grader and
she was dead right, took him very little time to
clear the block using that.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

Never had anything like that.

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Didnt happen like that with me.

I started to feel happy when I happened
to stay with the parents just after they
had moved into an architect designed
place they had built for them which
used an usual post and beam type of
construction which allows you to easily
see how its done. When I got home
I bought a block of land and started
designing something completely different.

Or is it only me?

Presumably not, but I dont believe everyone
has the same problem you do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote

[...]

**** poor Australian ******:

""
"John James"
"Simon Brown"
"Jacko"
"Simon263"
"John Chance"
"Ratsack"
"Hank"
"kshy"
"JHY"
"Blano"
"Santo Brown"
"hqhy"
"Jim Thomas"
"Sam Thatch"
"Hanny Z"
"78lp"
"John Jackson"
"Ranger"
"jack"
"Mike Lander"
"879"
"James Green"
"kipg"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
Bill Wright wrote

[...]

Oh I dunno, I think he's bloody marvellous, my hero.

What a complete ****.
Ya hafta laugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2016 21:05, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
**** poor Australian ******:

"John
"Simon

"John

"Santo

"Jim
"Sam
"Hanny

"John

"Mike

"James

You seem to be taking a lot of trouble. Does this mean Rod has got a
stalker?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2016 2:15 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but
also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves
destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the
sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn
and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

No, not only you. Although I had done many roofs, re-slate/re-tile or,
conversions, over the 18 years I was roofing, I would have a very
disturbed sleep the night before the start.

On the morning of the 'start I was fine. It was just another roof.

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2016 15:48, RayL12 wrote:

No, not only you. Although I had done many roofs, re-slate/re-tile or,
conversions, over the 18 years I was roofing, I would have a very
disturbed sleep the night before the start.

On the morning of the 'start I was fine. It was just another roof.

Yes, my experience exactly. The night before I was due to travel to an
'away' job I would be dead worried, but once on the road I was fine.

It's like stage fright really. Terrified beforehand, but once you're out
there it's such a buzz you have to enjoy it.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 25/02/2016 15:48, RayL12 wrote:

No, not only you. Although I had done many roofs, re-slate/re-tile or,
conversions, over the 18 years I was roofing, I would have a very
disturbed sleep the night before the start.

On the morning of the 'start I was fine. It was just another roof.

Yes, my experience exactly. The night before I was due to travel to an
'away' job I would be dead worried, but once on the road I was fine.

Never had anything like that either.

It's like stage fright really.

Never had anything like that either.

Terrified beforehand,