Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Master Workbench

My other half shared this one with me, so I could share with you.

Meet the Samurai Carpenter who makes a workbench for generations...
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-a-ma...-dr-1766456444
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 00:04:28 -0400
Casper wrote:

Meet the Samurai Carpenter who makes a workbench for generations...

nice bench
very pricey i am sure

thing with benches like that is that they are for doing high end
stuff and usually that means someone that is very particular about
their bench and would design their own

but still a nice bench and a good project

but that site is
that site seems like you could get something

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FCuvdv8FO54

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet was heard to mutter:
nice bench
very pricey i am sure

Nothing that lasts is cheap anymore. Not cheap in $$ or labor.

thing with benches like that is that they are for doing high end
stuff and usually that means someone that is very particular about
their bench and would design their own

I am sure many would. But I know some who also love others designs.

but still a nice bench and a good project

Glad you like it.

but that site is
that site seems like you could get something

Get something? You mean like a virus, trojan, etc,?
Site page checked out clean on multiple levels.
A benefit a computer security expert living under your roof.

I usually go post direct from YouTube but on occasion don't.
Thanks for the direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/FCuvdv8FO54

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 11:28:54 -0400
Casper wrote:

Nothing that lasts is cheap anymore. Not cheap in $$ or labor.

very true

I am sure many would. But I know some who also love others designs.

yeah there is also a 3 hour video of how he did it with all the
details

which would be a good learning experience

Get something? You mean like a virus, trojan, etc,?

it is just an assault on the senses more than anything
not my kind of site

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/24/16 11:58 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
Get something? You mean like a virus, trojan, etc,?

it is just an assault on the senses more than anything
not my kind of site

You continued lack of punctuation is an assault on ours.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 17:33:42 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/24/16 11:58 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
Get something? You mean like a virus, trojan, etc,?

it is just an assault on the senses more than anything
not my kind of site

You continued lack of punctuation is an assault on ours.

You could stop reading his crap until he buys a complete keyboard.
Works for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet was heard to mutter:
which would be a good learning experience

True

it is just an assault on the senses more than anything
not my kind of site

I can relate to that. Not mine normally either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2016 11:04 PM, Casper wrote:
My other half shared this one with me, so I could share with you.

Meet the Samurai Carpenter who makes a workbench for generations...
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-a-ma...-dr-1766456444

Pretty darn cool. Unlike 90% of the Youtube videos he does know what he
is doing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-03-25, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Pretty darn cool. Unlike 90% of the Youtube videos he does know what he
is doing.

Agree.

Despite watching this video and another called "the perfect joint",
where Mr Samuri goes into much more detail on that cool sliding joint
thingie, I still am not sure what that entire unit is. Is it merely a
convenieunt sliding holder for a buncha "hold down clamps" or does it
have an entirely unrelated purpose?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-03-25, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Pretty darn cool. Unlike 90% of the Youtube videos he does know what he
is doing.

Agree.

Despite watching this video and another called "the perfect joint",
where Mr Samuri goes into much more detail on that cool sliding joint
thingie, I still am not sure what that entire unit is. Is it merely a
convenieunt sliding holder for a buncha "hold down clamps" or does it
have an entirely unrelated purpose?

nb

If you were talking about the front of the WB, the vertical piece with
numerous adjustment holds, that is to hold one end of a panel with the
other end of the panel held in the vise. The numerous holes are for
adjusting a hold fast or dog to the height needed for the particular
panel that you are working on.

If you go here and scroll down you can see it being used.

http://www.benchcrafted.com/str.html

I cannot watch this video enough.

https://vimeo.com/72096565

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-03-25, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

If you go here and scroll down you can see it being used.

http://www.benchcrafted.com/str.html

I cannot watch this video enough.

https://vimeo.com/72096565

The light dawns!

Thank you. Those two videos answered questions I didn't even know to
ask.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking
rlz rlz is offline

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 10:04:41 PM UTC-6, Casper wrote:
My other half shared this one with me, so I could share with you.

Meet the Samurai Carpenter who makes a workbench for generations...
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/watch-a-ma...-dr-1766456444

It's a good looking bench, but its not for me in my shop. since I have a 2-car garage size workshop, I wanted a bench that I could utilize not only the top, but the bottom area as well. I built a workbench that has a lower shelf for plastic storage totes (16 each), a middle shelf for putting boards, and then the top, which is made from two sheets of 4x8 3/4" plywood. For a DIY person that has a lot of items (plumbing, electrical, paints/stains), the totes allow me to organize and store them under the workbench. The middle shelf allows me to put a lot of scrap boards underneath as well. The workbench isn't fancy, but I'll take function over fashion anytime.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2016 8:44 AM, rlz wrote:

The workbench isn't fancy, but I'll take function over fashion anytime.

Agree.

The past decade it has been "the thing", particularly amongst interwebz
wooddorkers, who do their wooddorking on a keyboard, to build a "Roubo
Workbench".

Apparently this a necessary, fashionable requirement to join the elite,
"iinterwebz keyboard wooddorker Guild", which has taken the place of
that rabble in "THE Ultimate router table Club", as amongst the coolest
of the cognoscenti.

Result is both the Neanders and Normites are spinning in their, analog,
graves.

I agree that every woodwoorker should build his/her own workbench ...
but one that fits what he/she does.

Anything else is sheer bull****foonerey.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/25/2016 11:13 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/25/2016 8:44 AM, rlz wrote:

The workbench isn't fancy, but I'll take function over fashion anytime.

Agree.

The past decade it has been "the thing", particularly amongst interwebz
wooddorkers, who do their wooddorking on a keyboard, to build a "Roubo
Workbench".

I was wanting a work bench of some type, with the vise and dog holes and
then I got the Festool FMT3 with it's unique clamps and that desire has
evaporated.

Apparently this a necessary, fashionable requirement to join the elite,
"iinterwebz keyboard wooddorker Guild", which has taken the place of
that rabble in "THE Ultimate router table Club", as amongst the coolest
of the cognoscenti.

You and I have the ultimate router tables, store bought. LOL

Result is both the Neanders and Normites are spinning in their, analog,
graves.

I agree that every woodwoorker should build his/her own workbench ...
but one that fits what he/she does.

Exactly

Anything else is sheer bull****foonerey.

Where have all the master craftsmen gone? George UK diy 4 October 15th 08 03:22 PM
CED Control Master prestwichjon UK diy 2 January 21st 08 11:48 PM
Master of your own domain Patrick Home Repair 0 January 9th 07 11:10 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
Master Cabinetmaker Bob S. Woodworking 18 November 15th 03 03:19 PM