Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yacht builder's auction of woodworking tools

Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down Wisconsin operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW tools that contains a link to the online bidding site.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/yac...372577621.html

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2016 10:47 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down Wisconsin operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW tools that contains a link to the online bidding site.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/yac...372577621.html

Larry

that's an awful auction site.
Way too much realestate on the screen that's bare, and images that are
too small.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2016 11:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/19/2016 10:47 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down Wisconsin
operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW tools that
contains a link to the online bidding site.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/yac...372577621.html

Larry

that's an awful auction site.
Way too much realestate on the screen that's bare, and images that are
too small.

Did you click on the items? That brings up multiple images of the item
and each image has a magnifying glass so you can drill down and see the
scratches in the metal finish, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2016 12:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/19/2016 10:47 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down Wisconsin
operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW tools that
contains a link to the online bidding site.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/yac...372577621.html

Larry

that's an awful auction site.
Way too much realestate on the screen that's bare, and images that are
too small.

Looks OK here. Try pressing Ctrl+ to zoom in bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2016 11:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/19/2016 10:47 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down Wisconsin
operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW tools that
contains a link to the online bidding site.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/yac...372577621.html

Larry

that's an awful auction site.
Way too much realestate on the screen that's bare, and images that are
too small.

Did you click on the items? That brings up multiple images of the item
and each image has a magnifying glass so you can drill down and see the
scratches in the metal finish, etc.

Yea I saw that, but it's the page before.
Too small, and too much wasted space.
I want to scan quickly.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 07:47:15 -0700 (PDT)
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

tools that contains a link to the online bidding site.

looks like they had a large operation in wisconsin
must be a painful closure

seems carbon fiber rules their product line

http://hansenandyoung.com/auction/28...ing-tools-more

i like their boat the explorer-1

the big yachts look odd to me but i guess that is the style now

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down
Wisconsin operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW

auction closes on march 29 so right now prices are low

the best time to look will be monday and tuesday

they are having an open house too so probably a good chance to
get hand tools

no doubt the clamps are all gone by now

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Palmer Johnson, builder of big buck yachts, is shutting down
Wisconsin operations. Here's a story about the auction of its WW

auction closes on march 29 so right now prices are low

the best time to look will be monday and tuesday

they are having an open house too so probably a good chance to
get hand tools

no doubt the clamps are all gone by now

So are the boats. I was hoping to pick up a 72m with a couple of
$million off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-03-20, Electric Comet wrote:

no doubt the clamps are all gone by now

Howzabout that!

I'm new to woodworking, but I immediately noticed the situation with
clamps. Woodworkers have jillions of 'em, pawn stores have none, and
they want an arm and a leg fer even cheap ones! Check out the first
couple mins of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7aZB21cNzE

I guess I won't be buying any Irwin clamps. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:01:29 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

So are the boats. I was hoping to pick up a 72m with a couple of
$million off.

they are never out of boats

check the showroom in monaco they might have discounts on demos

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-03-20, Electric Comet wrote:

no doubt the clamps are all gone by now

Howzabout that!

I'm new to woodworking, but I immediately noticed the situation with
clamps. Woodworkers have jillions of 'em, pawn stores have none, and
they want an arm and a leg fer even cheap ones! Check out the first
couple mins of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7aZB21cNzE

I would have used a *least* twice as many clamps.

I guess I won't be buying any Irwin clamps. 8|

I don't have any Irwin 'F' style clamps but I have a bunch of the
quick clamps and love 'em. I use them for the first few clamps, just
to get things stabilized, then follow up with other clamps. The
heavy-duty quick clamps are nice, the lighter ones, not so great.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 12:31:39 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

Way too much realestate on the screen that's bare, and images that
are too small.

there is room for some improvement

for that kind of equipment pictures would never be good enough

the open house is where the serious buyers can give everything a
good looking over and assessment

but then again if the prices are low enough maybe some buyers just
do not care how much detail they have

wonder how their site will handle the furious bidding that will
happen near the end

the chance for shilling is big