Posted to rec.woodworking

Default good example of using ropes for porch swing

this is a nice example

http://i.imgur.com/P9kaIoJ.jpg

would probably trim the eye bolt ends but that is minor

might even turn a small finial to cover the ey bolt ends

well it still uses chains to hang the whole thing but the ropes are a nice
detail

Posted to rec.woodworking

this is a nice example
http://i.imgur.com/P9kaIoJ.jpg
would probably trim the eye bolt ends but that is minor
might even turn a small finial to cover the ey bolt ends
well it still uses chains to hang the whole thing but the ropes are a nice
detail

How about eliminating the too-long, unsightly eyebolts ..
Run the rope through a rope-sized hole & tie a knot ?
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:45:38 -0800 (PST)
Sonny wrote:

Not so much the knots being in the right place..... I've tried using
rope to hang swings, before.... the problem with rope is that it
stretches..... though I have not used rope as big (diameter) as
what's in your link. A weighted swing (persons on the swing) will
add weight to a (potentially) stretching/stretchable rope.

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

Rope might look good, but I, after my experience with it for hanging
swings, would recommend using chains. A possible option: One could
try twisting rope around a chain and see what it looks like, if a
rustic appearance is the/a goal.

not a bad idea at all
smaller rope could be woven in and thru the chain links

i have also seen colored plastic coverings over chains but no idea what
that costs

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2016 12:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're
trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned su

Ain't no way in hell you've ever dallied a rope around a saddle horn
with a 900lb steer on the other end ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2016 2:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/21/2016 12:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're
trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned su

You may have hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt that he knows
what he wants to day either, hence no punctuation and hoping some one
will figure it out for him/it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/16 5:46 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/21/2016 2:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/21/2016 12:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're
trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned su

You may have hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt that he knows
what he wants to day either, hence no punctuation and hoping some one
will figure it out for him/it.

When we were children, if we didn't use punctuation the teacher would
hand back our assignment and we'd have to redo it and turn it in again.

I think we should take that approach with this guy. No one should
answer any of his questions or reply to anything he says until he
decided to punctuate his $h!t. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2016 12:32 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/21/16 5:46 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/21/2016 2:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/21/2016 12:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're
trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned su

You may have hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt that he knows
what he wants to day either, hence no punctuation and hoping some one
will figure it out for him/it.

When we were children, if we didn't use punctuation the teacher would
hand back our assignment and we'd have to redo it and turn it in again.

I think we should take that approach with this guy. No one should
answer any of his questions or reply to anything he says until he
decided to punctuate his $h!t. :-)

I do my best to ignore him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

try twisting rope around a chain and see what it looks like, if a
rustic appearance is the/a goal.

here is a good example of exactly that idea
warms up the swing a little

http://countrydesignstyle.com/easy-breezy-rope-trick/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 12:28:52 PM UTC-8, wrote:
this is a nice example
http://i.imgur.com/P9kaIoJ.jpg

How about eliminating the too-long, unsightly eyebolts ..
Run the rope through a rope-sized hole & tie a knot ?

Or, do a proper eye splice with a thimble, and affix with a U-bolt.
You get better strength from the rope that way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:32:17 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/21/16 5:46 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/21/2016 2:45 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/21/2016 12:06 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're
trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned su

You may have hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt that he knows
what he wants to day either, hence no punctuation and hoping some one
will figure it out for him/it.

When we were children, if we didn't use punctuation the teacher would
hand back our assignment and we'd have to redo it and turn it in again.

I think we should take that approach with this guy. No one should
answer any of his questions or reply to anything he says until he
decided to punctuate his $h!t. :-)

Mike you just want to run up to da comet and smack him with a ruler,
metal edge no doubt? Just like the nuns did.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 3:29:45 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:29:25 -0500
wrote:

How about eliminating the too-long, unsightly eyebolts ..
Run the rope through a rope-sized hole & tie a knot ?

not a bad idea
saves money too because the eye bolts and nuts add to the cost

but it might be hard to get the knots just right so the swing is level

although the leveling could be done at the top where it attaches to the
chains going into the porch

Not so much the knots being in the right place..... I've tried using rope to hang swings, before.... the problem with rope is that it stretches..... though I have not used rope as big (diameter) as what's in your link. A weighted swing (persons on the swing) will add weight to a (potentially) stretching/stretchable rope.

Rope might look good, but I, after my experience with it for hanging swings, would recommend using chains. A possible option: One could try twisting rope around a chain and see what it looks like, if a rustic appearance is the/a goal.

Sonny

What kind of rope were you using? It makes a difference. Nylon has
lots of stretch, dacron, polypropylene and natural fibers not so much.
Then there's Kevlar and Spectra that are close to steel in stretch or
lack of same.

Getting the knot positioned is in part a matter of using the right knot.
Take a look in the "Stoppers" section of
http://www.animatedknots.com/.

Porch Swing at Wal-Mart [email protected] Woodworking 1 May 13th 08 12:52 PM
Porch swing Tim Taylor Woodworking 6 May 6th 06 07:24 PM
Porch swing finish C & M Woodworking 17 June 13th 05 06:11 AM
PORCH SWING J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 05:36 AM
What finish for an oak porch swing? Daryl Drome Woodworking 6 August 21st 03 01:28 AM