C & M

Default Porch swing finish

I just started a porch swing in cherry - I looove the look of natual, aged
cherry. Now, the dilema. Even though the porch is covered the rain and
snow blow in and scattered UV rays are bound to funkify the color. Let's
hear some suggestions on the most desireable finish for the application. If
it requires periodic maintenace, like an oil finish, I'm still very game
(not to be confused with gamey).
TIA

Edwin Pawlowski

"C & M" wrote in message
I just started a porch swing in cherry - I looove the look of natual, aged
cherry. Now, the dilema. Even though the porch is covered the rain and
snow blow in and scattered UV rays are bound to funkify the color. Let's
hear some suggestions on the most desireable finish for the application.
If
it requires periodic maintenace, like an oil finish, I'm still very game
(not to be confused with gamey).
TIA

I've not tried it on cherry, but I've use Penofin oil on a few outdoor
(cypress, Spanish cedar, mahogany) items and I like it very much. It has UV
inhibitors.

Robatoy

In article ,
"C & M" wrote:

I just started a porch swing in cherry - I looove the look of natual, aged
cherry. Now, the dilema. Even though the porch is covered the rain and
snow blow in and scattered UV rays are bound to funkify the color. Let's
hear some suggestions on the most desireable finish for the application. If
it requires periodic maintenace, like an oil finish, I'm still very game
(not to be confused with gamey).
TIA

Try Flood's Penetrol. Straight up. If you want to believe, take a stick
of scrap cherry, stick it halfway into the Penetrol, hang it outside,
call me in 3-5 years. You'll chuckle like a little kid.
Amazing stuff.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:27:21 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
"C & M" wrote:

I just started a porch swing in cherry - I looove the look of natual, aged
cherry. Now, the dilema. Even though the porch is covered the rain and
snow blow in and scattered UV rays are bound to funkify the color. Let's
hear some suggestions on the most desireable finish for the application. If
it requires periodic maintenace, like an oil finish, I'm still very game
(not to be confused with gamey).
TIA

Try Flood's Penetrol. Straight up. If you want to believe, take a stick
of scrap cherry, stick it halfway into the Penetrol, hang it outside,
call me in 3-5 years. You'll chuckle like a little kid.
Amazing stuff.

Paint CONDITIONER straight? Whuffo?

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Robatoy

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

[schnipfed]

Paint CONDITIONER straight? Whuffo?

It is sold and used as a paint conditioner, but that's not its only
raison d'etre.
Buy/beg/borrow/steal some.. and play with it.... careful with discarded
rags and steel-wool, 'cuz the **** combusts spontaneously real good.
Robatoy

In article ,
"C & M" wrote:

Is this the stuff that you add to latex paint to improve flow??

No.. Flood makes one for Latex, but don't use Penetrol in latex.
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:12:17 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

[schnipfed]

Paint CONDITIONER straight? Whuffo?

It is sold and used as a paint conditioner, but that's not its only
raison d'etre.
Buy/beg/borrow/steal some.. and play with it.... careful with discarded
rags and steel-wool, 'cuz the **** combusts spontaneously real good.

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Robatoy

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it
inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it
inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.

He's talking about wood and you reply about the color of a gentleman's hair.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it
inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.

He's talking about wood and you reply about the color of a gentleman's hair.

G...guilty. I can't pull one over on you, Ed.

Don't you just love those guys who try to get away with Greecy Formula?
Or a beaver/racoon pelt? At least Davy Crockett left the tail on.

....and I'm not talking about this Davy Crockett.
http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:39:43 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy
spake:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it
inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.

"Silver, the colour of distinction" on wood is what I refer to
as BFU GRAY, bubba. I like my wood WOOD colored, thanks, and will
have to try some of that Penetrol straight. What do they get for
a gallon of it, or does a quart go a long way?

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
PDQ

If you are thinking of Penofin look here =
http://www.penofin.com/products_marine.shtml

On the bottom of the page the following is stated
"Expect 3-5 years on vertical surfaces,=20
1-2 years on horizontal surfaces=20
depending on use and weather exposure".

If you are thinking of Penetrol look here =
http://www.floodaustralia.net/contents.htm

This site gives the same kind of blather about how good the product is; =
but fails to state, as with Penofin, how long a treatment will last =
before it will need refurbishing.

All in all, I am thinking of Penofin for my deck.

Personally, I like the ugly look of silver cedar. SWMBO doesn't.

--=20
PDQ

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message =
| On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:39:43 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy
| spake:
|=20
| In article ,
| Larry Jaques wrote:
|
| So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?
|
| That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it =

| inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.
|=20
| "Silver, the colour of distinction" on wood is what I refer to
| as BFU GRAY, bubba. I like my wood WOOD colored, thanks, and will
| have to try some of that Penetrol straight. What do they get for
| a gallon of it, or does a quart go a long way?
|=20
| ---
| Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.=20
| http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Edwin Pawlowski

"Robatoy" wrote in message

He's talking about wood and you reply about the color of a gentleman's
hair.

G...guilty. I can't pull one over on you, Ed.

Don't you just love those guys who try to get away with Greecy Formula?
Or a beaver/racoon pelt? At least Davy Crockett left the tail on.

...and I'm not talking about this Davy Crockett.
http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM

The pelts are worse than the coloring. I have more need of sunscreen these
days though.

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Don't you just love those guys who try to get away with Greecy
Formula? Or a beaver/racoon pelt? At least Davy Crockett left the
tail on.

...and I'm not talking about this Davy Crockett.
http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM

The pelts are worse than the coloring. I have more need of sunscreen
these days though.

I guess the upside is that there is less 'hat hair'...

When we were kids, we used to watch out for drivers who were described as
'old guys wearing hats'. We should have been more kind to our
predecessors. I rather resemble that remark these days.

Patriarch
Robatoy

Larry Jaques wrote:

So...does it keep wood from going that gawdawful gray?

That would be called silver, the colour of distinction... and yes, it
inhibits that greatly, assuming sufficient coverage.

"Silver, the colour of distinction" on wood is what I refer to
as BFU GRAY, bubba. I like my wood WOOD colored, thanks, and will
have to try some of that Penetrol straight. What do they get for
a gallon of it, or does a quart go a long way?

About 10 Kanuckistani dollarsk for a litre. (US Quart).. about 10 bucks.
It all depends on how thirsty the wood is, Larry.

That silver which so becometh cedar is a pleasure to beholdeth. A Very
high spiff factor in my book.

Play with it, 'cuz YMMV.
Robatoy

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Don't you just love those guys who try to get away with Greecy
Formula? Or a beaver/racoon pelt? At least Davy Crockett left the
tail on.

...and I'm not talking about this Davy Crockett.
http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM

The pelts are worse than the coloring. I have more need of sunscreen
these days though.

I guess the upside is that there is less 'hat hair'...

When we were kids, we used to watch out for drivers who were described as
'old guys wearing hats'. We should have been more kind to our
predecessors. I rather resemble that remark these days.

Patriarch

I always thought that hats were cool. My dad always wore a fedora till
he retired and started to wear caps.
Elliott Ness looked better with a hat.
And with a hat, you can do things...like tip it to a lady to let her
know she's looking good.... much better than a whistle or a construction
worker-grade ""Hey baby!"
You can't nibble on a piece of straw without a hat.
Hats are cool.. I wish they'd come back.

Throwing your hat on the ground in a moment of frustration is cool....
MUCH better than doing that with a motorcycle helmet which will bounce
up and awkwardly knock you in the balls... or so I'm told.

New Plan Online - Rustic Twig Furniture Porch Swing WoodchuckCanuck Woodworking 0 December 19th 04 01:30 AM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
PORCH SWING J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 05:36 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
What finish for an oak porch swing? Daryl Drome Woodworking 6 August 21st 03 01:28 AM