Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default box joint testing

Happened to come across this test of Joints, not all types but a
few,...and

http://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/pockethole.html

Our friend has a couple videos on it, he found with the wood he was
using that the pocket screws, even with glue, was about the weakest,
other than a butt joint with clue.

Now I am not going to argue his methods of measuring since he did
apply the same test to all, however in reviewing what he did and his
points about pocket screws, I sort of think a shallower pocket, in
conjunction with a slightly longer screw might help tremendously.

So I am tossing out that idea for your consideration.

I would ask him, since he has the gear set up for testing to verify it
for curiosities sake, but then if he did so and it all worked out then
he should be paid for the proof I would think.

In any event, I do not think you will find any pocket screws in my new
wall cabinets for my kitchen. I wish he had tested with domino joints.

What does your experience tell us?