Posted to rec.woodworking

Default your project

post info on your last project
not many of you post your projects so this is your chance

i made a minimalist bookshelf
a sort of mission style but more minimal
all from previously used lumber

also making some tv trays
these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier

which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together
garbage which is not a surprise

so it was easy to do better

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
post info on your last project
not many of you post your projects so this is your chance

i made a minimalist bookshelf
a sort of mission style but more minimal
all from previously used lumber

also making some tv trays
these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier

which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together
garbage which is not a surprise

so it was easy to do better

I posted my last "project"--such as it was. Hope you are not offended
by my use of punctuation.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2015 6:54 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
post info on your last project
not many of you post your projects so this is your chance

i made a minimalist bookshelf
a sort of mission style but more minimal
all from previously used lumber

also making some tv trays
these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier

which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together
garbage which is not a surprise

so it was easy to do better

I posted my last "project"--such as it was. Hope you are not offended
by my use of punctuation.

I made my first table. While I had no problems cutting and gluing the
table I had a lot of problems with the finish. With extensive research
and experimentation it is complete and is sitting beside me as I type.

While I know it it not what is consider good by the subscribers to this
newsgroup, I am satisfied with my First table.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

Your first? It may very well be better than any ones first. If you are
happy with your results be proud, none of us are perfect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 6:56:17 AM UTC-6, keith_

I made my first table. While I had no problems cutting and gluing the
table I had a lot of problems with the finish. With extensive research
and experimentation it is complete and is sitting beside me as I type.

While I know it it not what is consider good by the subscribers to this
newsgroup, I am satisfied with my First table.

My first table was in 9th grade shop class - 2'X 2' top, 4 legs with lower stretchers, no skirt-type leg-top attachment.... the legs attached directly to the top with "dowels". I had no idea of what a dowel rod was. I carved "dowels" (nubs) on the leg tops, to insert into the table holes. The teacher made it a point of showing the class what I did (carved dowels), then he explained, to me, what a dowel is for, etc.

Lately, my projects have been put on hold. Been away from home, a lot, taking care of Mom, with dementia. To engage her, we built a new bird house. Hope to bring it back to her, today, for priming and painting. Seems, these little projects (flowers, pot plants, also) helps keep her mind off other "issues".... calms her anxieties, etc.

I hope to be back in the shop tomorrow and do a little more work on the alternative camp dining table.... E.R. cedar, this time 'round.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 06:50:34 -0800 (PST)
Sonny wrote:

Lately, my projects have been put on hold. Been away from home, a
lot, taking care of Mom, with dementia. To engage her, we built a
new bird house. Hope to bring it back to her, today, for priming
and painting. Seems, these little projects (flowers, pot plants,
also) helps keep her mind off other "issues".... calms her anxieties,
etc.

like the birdhouse idea

now i know what to do with all the scraps i have
i know an old man that might like one for similar reasons

what kind of bird or is it purely decorative

i know some birds are picky about the house they will use

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 07:56:10 -0500
Keith Nuttle wrote:

I made my first table. While I had no problems cutting and gluing
the table I had a lot of problems with the finish. With extensive
research and experimentation it is complete and is sitting beside me
as I type.

i always figure that if you like what you make then it is a success

i always notice my flaws in the stuff i make and no one else does

the shelf i made has a saw burn mark here and there and it almost
looks like the wood grain

i noticed it but no one else mentioned it

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/15 5:54 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
post info on your last project
not many of you post your projects so this is your chance

i made a minimalist bookshelf
a sort of mission style but more minimal
all from previously used lumber

also making some tv trays
these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier

which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together
garbage which is not a surprise

so it was easy to do better

I posted my last "project"--such as it was. Hope you are not offended
by my use of punctuation.

I'm certainly not... sure makes it easier to read.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 06:54:38 -0500
"G. Ross" wrote:

I posted my last "project"--such as it was. Hope you are not
offended by my use of punctuation.

the useful projects are always the best

just curious why the glossy then the satin

i know very little about finishing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:

I posted my last "project"--such as it was. Hope you are not
offended by my use of punctuation.

the useful projects are always the best

just curious why the glossy then the satin

i know very little about finishing

Satin uses a talc additive to give a "satin" appearance and starts off
as a gloss. Gloss simply does not talc to muddy up the finish.

Typically you use gloss to get a good clear finish and then as a last
coat add the satin.

Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:

Hope you are not offended by my use of punctuation.

Good for you...ee cummings et al be damned

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2015 10:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
post info on your last project
not many of you post your projects so this is your chance

Actually I post most of my work as I do it. But I will not repost for
the sake of showing it under this thread.

i made a minimalist bookshelf
a sort of mission style but more minimal
all from previously used lumber

got pictures?

also making some tv trays
these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier

which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together
garbage which is not a surprise

so it was easy to do better

Got pictures?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 08:12:00 -0600
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Got pictures?

nope
might make another tray and will try to remember a pic

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:n26dqi$70k$1
@dont-email.me:

post info on your last project
not many of you post your projects so this is your chance

i made a minimalist bookshelf
a sort of mission style but more minimal
all from previously used lumber

also making some tv trays
these make the usual store bought trays look even cheaper and flimsier

which seems hard as most of the ones i have seen are thrown together
garbage which is not a surprise

so it was easy to do better

I decided to make a set of cauls. Wouldn't you know it, though? My
tools are all set up to cut straight and all the hand planes were down
with a case of Oak rust! I've got them sitting in a special Nitrogen
solution to hopefully reverse it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Nov 2015 14:46:39 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I decided to make a set of cauls. Wouldn't you know it, though? My
tools are all set up to cut straight and all the hand planes were
down with a case of Oak rust! I've got them sitting in a special
Nitrogen solution to hopefully reverse it.

i will guess
oak rust is from the resins in oak

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
On 14 Nov 2015 14:46:39 GMT
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I decided to make a set of cauls. Wouldn't you know it, though? My
tools are all set up to cut straight and all the hand planes were
down with a case of Oak rust! I've got them sitting in a special
Nitrogen solution to hopefully reverse it.

i will guess
oak rust is from the resins in oak

No, from the tannins. Which is why you don't use iron/steel (non stainless)
fasteners in oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 15:55:42 -0500
"dadiOH" wrote:

No, from the tannins. Which is why you don't use iron/steel (non
stainless) fasteners in oak.

i use resins and tannins to mean the same but i did not know this about
oak and fasteners

i made a small table using oak not too long ago and use stainless just
for the look and i guess i count myself lucky for doing that

i bought high quality stainless nuts and bolts

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:n2b7h3$kbj$3
@dont-email.me:

"dadiOH" wrote:

No, from the tannins. Which is why you don't use iron/steel (non
stainless) fasteners in oak.

i use resins and tannins to mean the same but i did not know this about
oak and fasteners

i made a small table using oak not too long ago and use stainless just
for the look and i guess i count myself lucky for doing that

i bought high quality stainless nuts and bolts

Search the archives here. There's plenty of good information about oak
rust.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:

No, from the tannins. Which is why you don't use iron/steel (non
stainless) fasteners in oak.

i use resins and tannins to mean the same but i did not know this about
oak and fasteners

This is a problem you seem to have, using words to mean
things they don't mean. To the rest of us, you end up
making as much sense as Lewis Carroll's Humpty Dumpty.

Apropos of the current issue, tannins are water soluble,
while resins are not. That is why they are a problem
with oak, because water content in the wood (or humidity
in the air) can dissolve them and allow them to react
with iron.

John

DIY project Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 21 March 26th 14 05:39 PM
New Project Leon[_7_] Woodworking 0 March 23rd 14 07:24 PM
A useful little project Don Foreman Metalworking 37 July 16th 08 05:21 AM
ash project DDG Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 January 2nd 08 03:13 AM
What think ye? (project) Enoch Root Woodworking 3 December 21st 05 07:28 AM