Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY project

I’m hoping we’ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. “Pizza for number 17?” “Cab for number 11?” Also I’m hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker
than has sometimes been the case.

The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a
big gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to think
we're a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a lot of
people here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

I’m hoping we’ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in the
morning. “Pizza for number 17?” “Cab for number 11?” Also I’m hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker than
has sometimes been the case.

The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a big
gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to think we're
a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a lot of people
here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last few
pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

Bill

Do you still need planning permission for illuminated signs? You always used
to.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2014 14:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

I’m hoping we’ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. “Pizza for number 17?” “Cab for number 11?” Also I’m
hoping genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit
quicker than has sometimes been the case.

The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a
big gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to
think we're a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a
lot of people here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

Do you still need planning permission for illuminated signs? You always
used to.

You do, although I suspect that nobody is likely to care about an
illuminated house number, even if it is, technically, advertising. I
have had my house number painted on a light by my front gate for 20
years without anybody saying anything.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
Do you still need planning permission for illuminated signs? You always
used to.

Only when in red. ;-)

--
*People want trepanners like they want a hole in the head*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2014 14:06, Bill Wright wrote:
I’m hoping we’ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. “Pizza for number 17?” “Cab for number 11?” Also I’m hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker
than has sometimes been the case.

The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a
big gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to think
we're a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a lot of
people here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

Over engineering at its best ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:58:55 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

[...]

I modified a pound shop "Solar fence light"

http://www.greenfingers.com/supersto...dept_id=500601

into a illuminated house number.

The trick was to re-mount the LED further back in the housing so the
lens is illuminated evenly, and seal it with silicone.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Im hoping well have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. €śPizza for number 17?€ť €śCab for number 11?€ť Also Im hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker
than has sometimes been the case.

The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a
big gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to think
we're a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a lot of
people here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

I hope you have another one for people approaching from the opposite
direction. :-)

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think if its commercial you do around here, but since most people adorn
their houses with lights at Christmas, I doubt it is an issue for other
things as long as they do not cause nuisance to others, ie huge floodlightes
aimed at other peoples windows all night!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:06:56 PM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:

I'm hoping we'll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. "Pizza for number 17?" "Cab for number 11?" Also I'm hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker
than has sometimes been the case.
The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a
big gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to think
we're a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a lot of
people here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.
Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7
Bill

Make the leds follow the numbers and you'd need far less

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

Over engineering at its best ;-)

It was fun to sit for hours soldering the 64 LEDs...

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

I hope you have another one for people approaching from the opposite
direction. :-)

I'm going to make a smaller one and recess it into the end of the wall.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:06:56 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Im hoping well have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. €śPizza for number 17?€ť €śCab for number 11?€ť Also Im hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker
than has sometimes been the case.

I tend to not have visitors at night, so I don't need a lighted number.
During the day people often go to the house next door instead of mine. I
have (let's say) the number 46 on my letter box, and 46 on the gate post,
and a large 46 on my house.
My neighbours have 46A on one letter box and 46B on the other, and a
large 46 on their house even though they are NOT number 46. They don't
want to remove that number or to add an A and B.
What else can I do? Perhaps I could have a metre high 46 on my fence, but
that doesn't really suit an old picket fence. Ideas?
Could I have an arrow pointing to my neighbours that says " NOT 46"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2014 03:50, MattyF wrote:
[...]

You want a sign saying 'this is the real No 46' :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
I’m hoping we’ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in
the morning. “Pizza for number 17?” “Cab for number 11?” Also I’m hoping
genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a bit quicker
than has sometimes been the case.

The problem is that the numbers on our street are illogical. There's a
big gap just before us, so anyone counting the houses is likely to think
we're a lower number than we really are. To make matters worse a lot of
people here stubbornly refuse to display a house number.

Click on a pic to enlarge, then move forwards and backwards. The last
few pics show the finished result.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q67qgx14y861kja/FrxgHSh9y7

Bill

Bill, Over time I think you might have a problem with water getting into
your power supply box. Even with a seal round the lid, the pressure
changes with temperature will act as a pump bringing in water vapour
which will eventually condense inside the box.
Far better if you can bring the PSU in doors and feed low voltage out to
your leds.
hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Bill, Over time I think you might have a problem with water getting into
your power supply box. Even with a seal round the lid, the pressure
changes with temperature will act as a pump bringing in water vapour
which will eventually condense inside the box.
Far better if you can bring the PSU in doors and feed low voltage out to
your leds.
hth

Bob

Cheers for that. Actually the PSU in in the workshop and the feed to the
display is 12VDC.

I don't know what will happen in the display box re condensation etc.
The LEDs generate a little bit of warmth. The box is completely
watertight except for a few small holes in the baseplate.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2014 14:14, Bill Wright wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Bill, Over time I think you might have a problem with water getting
into your power supply box. Even with a seal round the lid, the
pressure changes with temperature will act as a pump bringing in water
vapour which will eventually condense inside the box.
Far better if you can bring the PSU in doors and feed low voltage out
to your leds.
hth

Bob

Cheers for that. Actually the PSU in in the workshop and the feed to the
display is 12VDC.

I don't know what will happen in the display box re condensation etc.
The LEDs generate a little bit of warmth. The box is completely
watertight except for a few small holes in the baseplate.

All my weatherproof switches and sockets have a hole, about 5mm in
diameter, in the base. I presume this serves the dual purpose of
allowing the box to breath and to let any moisture out.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

Bill, Over time I think you might have a problem with water getting
into your power supply box. Even with a seal round the lid, the
pressure changes with temperature will act as a pump bringing in water
vapour which will eventually condense inside the box.
Far better if you can bring the PSU in doors and feed low voltage out
to your leds.
hth

Bob

Cheers for that. Actually the PSU in in the workshop and the feed to the
display is 12VDC.

I don't know what will happen in the display box re condensation etc.
The LEDs generate a little bit of warmth. The box is completely
watertight except for a few small holes in the baseplate.

Bill

Ah! It was the picture of the brickwork that made me assume external
mounting.
External boxes are best used as water/weather deflectors and a small
drain hole located at the lowest point for anything that does get in.
The hole also acts as a vent to prevent any thermal pumping I mentioned
earlier.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:14:48 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

Bill, Over time I think you might have a problem with water getting into
your power supply box. Even with a seal round the lid, the pressure
changes with temperature will act as a pump bringing in water vapour
which will eventually condense inside the box.
Far better if you can bring the PSU in doors and feed low voltage out to
your leds.
hth

Bob

Cheers for that. Actually the PSU in in the workshop and the feed to the
display is 12VDC.

I don't know what will happen in the display box re condensation etc.
The LEDs generate a little bit of warmth. The box is completely
watertight except for a few small holes in the baseplate.

That's exactly the right approach when you know you can't possibly
make it all gastight. The heat from the electronics should obviate any
condensation around the electrical circuitry and the drain holes will
allow ventillation and drainage of any condensate elsewhere.
--
Regards, J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

[PG_mode ON]

It certainly does, Colin, it certainly does...

[PG_mode OFF]

--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

and IME, all manner of small spiders in ;-)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...nTheWiring.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

New Project LSMFT Electronics Repair 7 March 2nd 10 08:13 AM
OT Kid's project sweet sawdust Woodworking 2 May 9th 09 06:15 AM
New project Robatoy Woodworking 25 April 10th 07 12:40 AM
OT New project Robatoy Woodworking 16 April 9th 07 05:09 PM
project car Erik Litchy Metalworking 0 December 17th 04 03:31 PM