Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I'm always amazed at what people will pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Arbor-...3514618501 79

This is a HF 1 ton arbor press that normally is available on sale for
49.99, like it is now,

But many have bought it from this ebay guy for 83.98 (29 idiots).

It even has the Central Machinery tag on it. And at the bottom of the
listing it proudly displays the central machinery name.

They even offer free shipping. I bet he orders it and has it delivered
from HF for the 6.99 shipping they charge... Now he is still ahead $27
for doing nothing other than placing the order for the idiot who ordered it.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/2015 9:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Arbor-...3514618501 79

This is a HF 1 ton arbor press that normally is available on sale for
49.99, like it is now,

But many have bought it from this ebay guy for 83.98 (29 idiots).

It even has the Central Machinery tag on it. And at the bottom of the
listing it proudly displays the central machinery name.

They even offer free shipping. I bet he orders it and has it delivered
from HF for the 6.99 shipping they charge... Now he is still ahead $27
for doing nothing other than placing the order for the idiot who ordered
it.

Caveat Emptor was never more true today with Ebay and Craigslist than in
was in years (centuries?) past.

You can traverse both Ebay and Craigslist if you have a bit of sense and
knowledge about that which you are buying. If not, you're no better off
than the rube who walks into a parts shop without a clue and walks away
with a $7.69 shear pin or pair of cotter pins.

Dumb is dumb in ANY venue

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

Remember what P T Barnum advised.

You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

Or perhaps you have forgotten, Only the seller
knows ther true value of the item being sold according to John Ruskin.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Arbor-...y/171276952624

This is a HF 1 ton arbor press that normally is available on sale for
49.99, like it is now,

But many have bought it from this ebay guy for 83.98 (29 idiots).

It even has the Central Machinery tag on it. And at the bottom of the
listing it proudly displays the central machinery name.

They even offer free shipping. I bet he orders it and has it delivered
from HF for the 6.99 shipping they charge... Now he is still ahead $27
for doing nothing other than placing the order for the idiot who ordered it.

The same guy "texastoolstore" appears to be offering a large chunk of
HF inventory and making a nice living.

For instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Ton-He...-/171347709040
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-l...ump-61282.html

$15 X 749 = $11,235 (profit on this 1 item)

His other items:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/texastoolstore/m.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/2015 10:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Arbor-...3514618501 79

This is a HF 1 ton arbor press that normally is available on sale for
49.99, like it is now,

But many have bought it from this ebay guy for 83.98 (29 idiots).

It even has the Central Machinery tag on it. And at the bottom of the
listing it proudly displays the central machinery name.

They even offer free shipping. I bet he orders it and has it delivered
from HF for the 6.99 shipping they charge... Now he is still ahead $27
for doing nothing other than placing the order for the idiot who ordered
it.

You've just identified the majority of voters in the US.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2015 5:46 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Simply amazing... I can't believe that there are that many ill-informed
(or maybe desperate for Harbor Freight crap) people out there that would
pay those prices.

Even more amazing is the seller's rating. I've bought a lot of stuff on
Ebay over the years and always leave appropriate feedback. He can't rig
that and his approval rating is sky high. Fools and their money are
happily parted it seems.

And if you look at the miniscule number of "complaints" the greater
majority are of the "...he'd complain if they hanged him with new rope"
variety. I'm betting his approval rating for the Harbor Freight stuff
he's selling is higher than Harbor Freight's!

Go figure! g

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Not pointing fingers here but almost all retail stores charge different
prices. Add to that, stores like HD and Lowes have different pricing on
the same items depending on which of their stores you go into.

So if you have found that you can beat a price offered by someone by
simply buying from HF, does that mean that the you may be a sucker if
you bought something from HD?

In fact, Rockler has a retail catalog and a business catalog. Neither
guarantees a better price than the other. Sometimes the retail catalog
offers better prices than the business catalog and visa versa.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2015 6:46 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Maybe I'm in the wrong business.
Maybe I should consider getting a deal with HF, to ship anywhere.
This guys making a good living sitting at home.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2015 9:26 AM, Leon wrote:

Not pointing fingers here but almost all retail stores charge different
prices. Add to that, stores like HD and Lowes have different pricing on
the same items depending on which of their stores you go into.

Prices vary wildly between brands and retailers for the same item. I
bought a pair of Dockers slacks at Casual Male for $55. I bought the
same exact slack under the WalMart brand for $18. I went over them
stitch by stitch and they were identical.

Some of the HF tools are identical to the high priced outlets too. You
just have to figure which ones as the do sell cheap crap too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2015 11:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/4/2015 9:26 AM, Leon wrote:

Not pointing fingers here but almost all retail stores charge different
prices. Add to that, stores like HD and Lowes have different pricing on
the same items depending on which of their stores you go into.

Prices vary wildly between brands and retailers for the same item. I
bought a pair of Dockers slacks at Casual Male for $55. I bought the
same exact slack under the WalMart brand for $18. I went over them
stitch by stitch and they were identical.

Some of the HF tools are identical to the high priced outlets too. You
just have to figure which ones as the do sell cheap crap too.

Yes and no.
Many times they are.
Sometimes the specs on one branding use higher quality parts (bearings,
windings, metal) so it's not so easy to see.
They maybe the same casting, but not the same material.
Sometimes different plastic.. looks the same, but one might have glass,
or be a high temp variety.

I'm with you on most though. I watched sears sell the same stuff as HF
under their evolve line. But for more money.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2015 10:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/4/2015 9:26 AM, Leon wrote:

Not pointing fingers here but almost all retail stores charge different
prices. Add to that, stores like HD and Lowes have different pricing on
the same items depending on which of their stores you go into.

Prices vary wildly between brands and retailers for the same item. I
bought a pair of Dockers slacks at Casual Male for $55. I bought the
same exact slack under the WalMart brand for $18. I went over them
stitch by stitch and they were identical.

Exactly!

A similar example, I bought probably 20 plus shirts over a 4~8 month
period from a Columbia outlet store. I paid on average of $10 each.
These are daily wear shirts and are probably 7 years old now and are
still holding up well.
In that same time period the exact same shirts were selling at Bass Pro
Shop for $45~$65. Same brand and labels.

Some of the HF tools are identical to the high priced outlets too. You
just have to figure which ones as the do sell cheap crap too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 10:32:10 -0500, Leon wrote:

These
are daily wear shirts and are probably 7 years old now and are still
holding up well.

I don't wear them daily, but I've got 3 I bought for under $5 each at
least 15 years ago and maybe even 20. Got them from one of those surplus
catalogs we all you to get in the mail.

They still look like new, but the label is getting hard to read - it says
"North Carolina Dept of Correction"! I call them my prison shirts :-).

Lemme tell you, NC got a heck of a bargain on those - I keep thinking of
writing to see if I can get more, but they probably don't even have the
same supplier they had then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 10:08:04 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Prices vary wildly between brands and retailers for the same item. I
bought a pair of Dockers slacks at Casual Male for $55. I bought the
same exact slack under the WalMart brand for $18. I went over them
stitch by stitch and they were identical.

Not sure what you are saying. You wrote you bought a pair of "Dockers" pants for $55 at a retailer. And you wrote you bought a pair of "Walmart" brand pants for $18, assume at Walmart. You did not buy the same pants at both stores. You bought "Dockers" brand and "Walmart" brand pants at different stores. This thread is about someone selling Harbor Freight tools on eBay for more money. The exact same Central Machinery Harbor Freight tool. You are talking about buying "Dockers" brand and "Walmart" brand pants for different prices. Being different brands, one would expect them to have different prices. Dockers are a Levis brand. And Walmart contracts with someone to make clothing with their brand on the label.

Whether "Dockers" brand and "Walmart" brand pants are the same quality and construction is a different question. Kind of like asking whether "Jet" or "Delta" or "Harbor Freight" table saws are better. It could be the same factory in China makes all of the table saws.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/4/2015 2:24 PM, wrote:
[...]

Just pointing out that it is smart to check around. The difference
between Dockers and the WalMart brand is zero. Identical in every way
except the price. Harbor Freight items are also identicl to other
brands selling for 2 or 3 times the price. Only difference is the
label. Same material, same factory.

Delta and Jet is another situation. They are both about equal in
quality and price, but made in different factories, or at least to
different specifications. Many Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman products are
identical to name brand products with cosmetic changes.

Toss into the mix the same item sold by Big Box stores and local stores.
Say a DeWalt miter saw. The small stores try to tell you they are
different, but not one has ever proven anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

His other items:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/texastoolstore/m.html

I recently bought the same tool at our local HF for about $10. - including tax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 22:50:41 -0400
woodchucker wrote:

It even has the Central Machinery tag on it. And at the bottom of the
listing it proudly displays the central machinery name.

They even offer free shipping. I bet he orders it and has it
delivered from HF for the 6.99 shipping they charge... Now he is
still ahead $27 for doing nothing other than placing the order for
the idiot who ordered it.

with the current population there is a sucker born much more often
than every minute

once you start selling online in the usual venues like ebay or amazon
patterns emerge

the scams and trickery are never ending

i heard that feebay was trying to cut down on drop-shippers but they
engage in that extensively themselves as some long-timers noticed

for evidence see the mountains of china listings in some categories

publically traded companies are on a financial hamster-wheel so you
cannot be too surprised when the attitude is anything goes if it makes
a buck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 00:13:51 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[...]

Depending on the vendor, 90% of that $7.69 is 'teaching fee' or
'stupid tax' ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2015 11:46 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

once you start selling online in the usual venues like ebay or amazon
patterns emerge

the scams and trickery are never ending

In 2010 I bought this lathe drill chuck on Amazon for $14.95

http://tinyurl.com/nkub6xf

At the time it was sold by CoKiD Supply Co, via Amazon.

When it arrived, it said Harbor Freight right on the box, with the HF #.
I looked it up, and at the time, it was like $9 at HF, so I paid $5
more, plus $5 shipping, for the exact same item, in the exact same HF box.

Now, you will note Amazon states it is sold by HF, but the price is $50,
free shipping. HF sells it now for $14.95, so you can get it $35
cheaper at HF.

I remember grinning at the time, I got had for a few bucks, good for
that dude. If I would have paid $50 for the thing, I'd probably not
been grinning. They also got me on the shipping, because I thought I
was getting free shipping on the order, and didn't notice this item
wasn't included, I guess because at the time it was not shipped from
Amazon, but from CoKid Supply. Live and learn. I still buy from
Amazon, but I do a bit more research on stuff.

The chuck is not high quality, but it works perfect for my needs, so I'm
happy.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

Rockler sells a lot of stuff that HF sells.
Sears sells a lot of HF welders, migs and tigs, all they do in both
cases is use different labels.

I have a sneaky feeling that HF buys "surplus lots" and puts their
name on it like all the rest.

Some of the Rocker wooden lathes are HF lathes, and why spend big
bucks for knives when a set costs only 35 bucks at HF. It is all so
amazing to me.

Now if I could just get good drawer slides at a reduced price.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

I am buying 100# full extension soft close drawer slides for a great
price. I just bought 6 22" slides for less than $15 perpair including
screws.

http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Sli...m?1=1&CartID=0

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

[...]

I got a good deal a year or so ago on blum motion undermount slides. I
paid 17 a piece for about 6 pair. EBAY. I don't see that dealer there
anymore, but there are deals out there.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]