Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Varnish

Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28/09/2015 8:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

Try this:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

or this:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

Graham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2015 9:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

The absolutely easiest is to fill the can with an inert gass, like Bloxygen.
http://www.amazon.com/IRONWOOD-DESIG...words=bloxygen

Or transfer the remainder into smaller quart cans filled to the top.

Or what I do, as my cans don't sit long before being used, turn the can
upside down so that the unexposed portion at the lid end when you store
it. The other end will begins to set but you don't have to work your
way through the thick gunk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.stoplossbags.com/about.html

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2015 10:40 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/28/15 9:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

http://www.stoplossbags.com/about.html

So you know if those bags are reusable, if you use the same product? I
wonder if they would be usable with Gel Varnishes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/28/2015 10:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

Buy a bigger boat so you can use it all in one time around. With the
money saved in spoiled paint it will pay for itself.

+1

Posted to rec.woodworking

graham wrote:

On 28/09/2015 8:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish
after it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon
(have a boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

Try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

or this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

Graham

Good ideas. I just happen to have a large bottle of Argon attached to
my Heli-arc welder so I'll look into adding inert gas to the can. Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28/09/2015 1:04 PM, James wrote:
graham wrote:

On 28/09/2015 8:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish
after it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon
(have a boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

Try this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

or this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

Graham

Good ideas. I just happen to have a large bottle of Argon attached to
my Heli-arc welder so I'll look into adding inert gas to the can. Jim

Those cans of inert gas are pricey (I have one for my better wines) and
the fact that you have plenty of argon solves your problem neatly.
Graham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/15 9:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

http://www.stoplossbags.com/about.html

So you know if those bags are reusable, if you use the same product? I
wonder if they would be usable with Gel Varnishes.

`
I use the bladders from boxed wine. My BIL provided me with 20 boxes.
They definetly work well. I have been using them for years for shellac,
poly, spar varnish , latex paints, oil based paints.

All have done nicely, contrary to what some of you say about the bags
not being air proof . The nice thing is no rust from the can, and no
issues with dried finish.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/28/2015 10:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish
after it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon
(have a boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

Buy a bigger boat so you can use it all in one time around. With the
money saved in spoiled paint it will pay for itself.

It is a bigger boat. It's a 28' Carver Santa Cruz. We just made a trip
to Portland, Or to try out the new triple axle trailer. It wasn't quite
right. Had to bring it home and move the outside bunks and raise them.
Will be going back up in a week to bring it home. Then the fun really
starts.Lots of projects to do on it. Has a fair amount of teak trim on
it. Jim

P.S. There is no money savings on a BOAT (break out another thousand)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"James" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish
after it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon
(have a boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

Standard tool when doing varnish work on a small/medium power
boat is a propane torch along with those paint brushes.

Shoot unlit propane down into can to drive out any air in top of can'
then seal can with can top.

Then turn can up side down trapping the propane in the bottom of
the can.

A couple of tips. A 28 ft power boat doesn't have any spars
so you don't have any need for spar varnish, rather straight
poly/varnish is what you need.

You'll be ahead of the game buying 750 ml cans of finish rather
than trying to use a work around to try to take advantage of a
larger package size.

Epifanes has what you need.

West Marine should have it.

Have fun and welcome aboard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

They mention to squeeze out the air and then put on the lid.
I think there would be some air still in the tube that makes is almost
perfect. If full of argon or such then no problem.

I don't know why not. It might be more difficult to stuff in the hole...

Martin

On 9/28/15 9:37 AM, James wrote:
Hi group, I need some suggestions on preserving a can of varnish after
it's been opened. I tend to buy spar varnish by the gallon (have a
boat) and need to preserve it between uses. Thanks, Jim

http://www.stoplossbags.com/about.html

So you know if those bags are reusable, if you use the same product? I
wonder if they would be usable with Gel Varnishes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"James" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

I actually liked the old Behr Spar varnish (before Home Depot got a
hold of them) I used it on the swim platform of our 28' sailboat plus
all the other wood that was on it. Held up really well. I'm now looking
at Total Boat's Lust. Seems to have pretty good reviews.I have to mail
order things since I don't have ready access to a West Marine except in
Portland a 7 hour drive. Jim

Polyurethane varnish on top of water based varnish. Rednadnerb UK diy 8 June 27th 13 07:47 PM
Varnish PeterC UK diy 3 June 7th 10 08:58 AM
Varnish Grumps[_2_] UK diy 3 December 16th 09 07:43 PM
varnish cj Home Repair 5 June 3rd 09 10:01 PM
Water based wood varnish and floor varnish recommendations [email protected] UK diy 3 May 12th 05 03:32 PM