Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Early Projects

Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

This might help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

This might help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

One more note. I used that box to carry my slot car and controller to
the slot car track. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Do you still have any of your early projects?

I have an ugly lamp turned on the lathe in Jr High shop class.
My dad had it in his office for many years, after he passed on
and my Mom moved to a smaller place I ended up with it.

I was probably 12 when I made it. I credit that shop class
with starting my interest in woodworking, altho I've since
learnt that almost everything we were taught wasn't really
correct (a combination of making it simple enough for our
age, and keeping us away from chisels and similar sharp
things).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

I might have one of my earliest somewhere. It was a wall sconce (sp?)
candle holder type deal. I remember all the details of its construction,
after all it was just two boards, two screws, and a lesson in shop safety
I'll never forget. The scar has faded, but I never let my skin get close
to sanders (especially belt sanders).

Interesting thing about this post is that I built two more wall sconces
today. Same basic construction, but these I'm going to paint. They're
going to hold speakers for a surround sound system.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:21:09 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

This might help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

One more note. I used that box to carry my slot car and controller to
the slot car track. ;~)

By any chance was it Pasadena Slot Car Raceway? Home of multi world record
holder P.A. Watson?

I raced there when my kids were young, but it was clear across town. He moved
to Katy and we raced there more. PA currently has one heck of a nice place with
a King, Hillclimb and a 1/32 club track in West Oaks Mall at the corner of
Westheirmer and Highway 6. Just in case you get tired of making sawdust some
evening and want something else to do.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Slot-...271710?sk=wall

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

Somewhere in my parents house in White Hall is a cookbook holder I made
for Mom in wood shop, circa 1958.

The birdhouse I made her in metal shop was too big to get out the shop
door, so had to sell the metal back to the shop teacher.

First lesson in planning ahea
d.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 4:19 PM, Roy wrote:
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:21:09 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

This might help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

One more note. I used that box to carry my slot car and controller to
the slot car track. ;~)

By any chance was it Pasadena Slot Car Raceway? Home of multi world record
holder P.A. Watson?

No, It was Big 8 Raceway on SPID in Corpus Christi, Texas.

I raced there when my kids were young, but it was clear across town. He moved
to Katy and we raced there more. PA currently has one heck of a nice place with
a King, Hillclimb and a 1/32 club track in West Oaks Mall at the corner of
Westheirmer and Highway 6. Just in case you get tired of making sawdust some
evening and want something else to do.

I recall visiting a track in or around 1965 when we visited Houston.
The place was HUGE. I live relatively close to West Oaks Mall but
seldom go in there. I was unaware they had a track.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Slot-...271710?sk=wall

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 2:20 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Did you survive the sanding unscathed? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:18:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

Good topic - thanks Leon.
We still have an elm night table and a small pine bookshelf ..
.... neither is a source of great pride .. but -
- it's been quite a journey - from then - to now !
My woodworking started in a high-school night class -
- Scarborough Ontario ~ 1981.
,.. since then - I've been on-and-off - folk toys, birdhouses, etc
.. it's small potatoes - but a great hobby !
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into
a new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

Nothing way long ago, no. Except some hand tools I bought in 1943.

The oldest made stuff I can think of is some rope stropped blocks circa
1970. Also a couple of belaying pins. The blocks are used sometimes, the
pins not so much so. There is also the bed we sleep in every night but
that's only 30 years old.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 12:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in 1966.
When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold this
together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a new
neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my first
keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

I have that beat by a few years -- I still have a turned maple/walnut lamp
which I made in shop class so that would have been circa 1961 or 1962.
Other than that I guess the earliest 'real' project would be QS fir box I
made around 1983. It has stained end caps but is otherwise finished
natural; all of the joinery is concealed tongue-and-groove router stuff
with absolutely no fasteners anywhere. Actually, it isn't too bad looking
despite using too-thick stock from big-box-store stair tread material
because I had no planer (and no plane beyond a Stanley block plane) at the
time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 5:24:03 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
r Mom in wood shop, circa 1958.

The birdhouse I made her in metal shop was too big to get out the shop
door, so had to sell the metal back to the shop teacher.

First lesson in planning ahea
d.

I laughed so hard I thought I was going to fall off the couch! Too damn funny. I was picturing a Gary Larson style cartoon with a puzzled Karl standing in from of a mini bus sized bird condo next to a front door with the caption being, "First lesson in planning ahead."

My Mom still has something I made for her when I was about 8 in '65. Pretty crude, but it was a recipe holder that was made from some 1/4" plywood scraps that my came from who knows where. I actually made it because I wanted to give Mom something I made, and I wanted to use my wood burning set. She has it at the senior center where she lives and I chuckle when I see it. Built with only a saw and hammer, and one piece of sandpaper my Dad let me have. I burned "RECIPES" on it in some kind of homemade script I thought looked fancy. I still remember how many nails I bent getting them into that plywood, and how stressed I was that I almost didn't get all of RECIPES burned on the box since I didn't really have any idea of spatial relations.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2015 1:56 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 5:24:03 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
r Mom in wood shop, circa 1958.

The birdhouse I made her in metal shop was too big to get out the
shop door, so had to sell the metal back to the shop teacher.

First lesson in planning ahea d.

I laughed so hard I thought I was going to fall off the couch! Too
damn funny. I was picturing a Gary Larson style cartoon with a
puzzled Karl standing in from of a mini bus sized bird condo next to
a front door with the caption being, "First lesson in planning
ahead."

I'm still laughing. With out a doubt building something too big still
haunts me to this day. There is one piece in particular that would have
been given away about 5 years ago had it not been for the insistance of
2, 23 year young men that could conquer any task with enough applied
testosterone.

My Mom still has something I made for her when I was about 8 in '65.
Pretty crude, but it was a recipe holder that was made from some 1/4"
plywood scraps that my came from who knows where. I actually made it
because I wanted to give Mom something I made, and I wanted to use my
wood burning set. She has it at the senior center where she lives
and I chuckle when I see it. Built with only a saw and hammer, and
one piece of sandpaper my Dad let me have. I burned "RECIPES" on it
in some kind of homemade script I thought looked fancy. I still
remember how many nails I bent getting them into that plywood, and
how stressed I was that I almost didn't get all of RECIPES burned on
the box since I didn't really have any idea of spatial relations.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 5:23 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

Somewhere in my parents house in White Hall is a cookbook holder I made
for Mom in wood shop, circa 1958.

The birdhouse I made her in metal shop was too big to get out the shop
door, so had to sell the metal back to the shop teacher.

Tough times! That and being "tardy". ;~)

So was that for a really big bird?

First lesson in planning ahea
d.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

Somewhere in my parents house in White Hall is a cookbook holder I
made for Mom in wood shop, circa 1958.

Somewhat likewise, my first real "project" came out of wood shop (maybe 7th
grade or so...), and was a small wall shelf - maybe around 18" wide. The
supports were curved and reverse curved, and cut out with a jig saw. It got
hung (rather unceremoniously) on the back wall of the garage where it really
served no specific purpose.

All of these years later, as we were moving my mom out of the house and into
a nursing home, and clearing everything out of the house, I happened to
notice that shelf. Thought about it for a few minutes, and then did nothing
more. When we sold the house, that shelf went with it - still hanging where
it was. Oh well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 11:18:21 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

Spent the weekend out of town, 45th class reunion, so I'm just now responding.

Other than building fences, repairing barns, etc., my first project was a side table, in 9th grade Industrial Arts class. I had no idea what a dowel rod was, then, so on the top of the legs, I carved a dowel protrusion on the end of the legs, to fit into the tables' hole. The teacher made a point of showing the class what I did. I don't think the table exists anymore. I think I tossed this table in the fire about 7 yrs ago, when cleaning out the old barn.

I do have my first picture frame, though. It holds a pic of my Dad, who passed away when I was young. The picture hangs in my old shop. I need to place it in my newer shop.

On behalf of a non-participant, here, Mom was (girls were) not allowed to take shop, when she was in school. She had to wait for her brothers to finish the class, before walking home with them. She was able to sneak a project in, while waiting. I'm thinking 1942 she finished high school. She made a small book case for her books. She still has the book case.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
news

I'm still laughing. With out a doubt building something too big still
haunts me to this day. There is one piece in particular that would have
been given away about 5 years ago had it not been for the insistance of
2, 23 year young men that could conquer any task with enough applied
testosterone.

We built a shed in one of the high school shop classes. I remember asking
the question about whether it would fit out the door. The door was 10',
the shed base (no walls yet) slightly bigger. Don't know what we would
have done if we couldn't tilt the thing...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

My Earliest was a chicken coop up against the shop. I was 5 or 6 likely
six. I got my drill press / drill / table saw / all in one machine from
a newspaper add with the money Granddad left me. I still have parts for
it, the all metal high speed motor finally died and I was glad. Holding
a high speed drill with your hand and the bearings were 50+ years old
took some steel.

The one Mom was proud of was maybe 10/12 somewhere in there when I took
a single horn side of a dear rack and mounted it to (threaded the
bone!!!) the top of three offset and decreasing diameters of turned oak
wood. Then I put Mahogany varnish. It sits in my workroom as both Mom
who used it for her necklaces dad kept his bola ties. I use it as a
hat rack now.

It was my first turning project - bolt through the center except for the
small one that was a face plate screw affixed.

Martin

On 9/26/2015 11:18 AM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

Spent the weekend out of town, 45th class reunion, so I'm just now
responding.

Our 60th was this month.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2015 2:27 PM, Leon wrote:

Tough times! That and being "tardy". ;~)

You gotta admit that word doesn't sound good to a six year old coonass
kid who'd never heard it before ... shame on that poor SOB.

So was that for a really big bird?

Mom decided at one time to raise parakeets, and had about a dozen.
Grandiose schemes gang aft agley ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2015 6:53 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/27/2015 2:27 PM, Leon wrote:

Tough times! That and being "tardy". ;~)

You gotta admit that word doesn't sound good to a six year old coonass
kid who'd never heard it before ... shame on that poor SOB.

Yeah! that probably sounded like one of those uppity high society
words. ;~)

So was that for a really big bird?

Mom decided at one time to raise parakeets, and had about a dozen.
Grandiose schemes gang aft agley ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2015 2:54 PM, BenignBodger wrote:
[...]

I only had one shop class, in 8th grade. It was in 1958-59. We all made
two things, a turned bowl, which is still around, and a lamp. My lamp
was the best one of the class (honest), couldn't wait to show it to my
folks. The last day of school I went to get it and it was the only one
left, and it was NOT mine, it was crap. (I think Scott Phillips made
it) I'm still miffed about it, I bet he still has my lamp.

BTW, we did segmented bowl turning as our first project, and I don't
recall wearing any safety gear, no face masks, dust masks, hearing
protection, nothing, and we were a bunch goofy little kids. Our shop
teacher had all his fingers, but had a wooden leg. Today, I wouldn't
let kids, other than mine, in my shop, let alone 25 or so weirdo's I
didn't know, all together acting like fools... Different age I guess.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2015 7:27 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

That would be a ****er. Getting off the point a bit, Scott Phillips
really sent the message of doubt to me when I sort'a kept up with his
show during the building of his brand new and relatively elaborate shop.
It was not a year later I was watching the show and he had so much crap
piled up that some of his machines were buried. That simply told me
that he did not use the shop for anything other than a different place
to film his show. You would have thought that they would have cleaned
up for the show.
Anyway....

BTW, we did segmented bowl turning as our first project, and I don't
recall wearing any safety gear, no face masks, dust masks, hearing
protection, nothing, and we were a bunch goofy little kids. Our shop
teacher had all his fingers, but had a wooden leg. Today, I wouldn't
let kids, other than mine, in my shop, let alone 25 or so weirdo's I
didn't know, all together acting like fools... Different age I guess.

I was about 9 years behind you. I do recall safety masks but that was
it. I blame the down fall of responsibility and respect on the parents.
Even when I was a kid the teacher was respected and the kids pretty much
acted like they had a brain, well at least when we were in the shop.
IIRC our shop teacher was missing part of one of his fingers. I do
recall that I saw him doing more than just teach. We lived in a
relatively new neighborhood and a block away next door to where I went
to HS a large new apartment complex was being built. I saw him on the
second story roof attaching faux corbels under the eaves and I
acknowledged him as I walked to school. The previous year in his
Jr.High shop class we spent our free time in shop class cutting out
those corbels from treated fence posts on the BS. ;~)

Times have changed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 12:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

My first project was a napkin holder, made in shop class in the seventh
grade. A bottom with two vertical sides glued onto it. I decided to make
my sides trapezoidal, one angled up, one angled down. An odd choice, but
creative, I suppose.

It was the bottom that was the real challenge. Our teacher gave us a
board perhaps 10" x 6" x 1/2". We had to plane one edge to be straight,
square and smooth; jointing it by hand, in other words. We'd make a
bunch of shavings, then take the piece up to the teacher for inspection
with a try square. He'd mark the high spots with the edge of a pencil
and we'd try again.

I probably don't need to tell you how many times most of us had to
repeat this process before the board passed muster. I was proud that my
napkin holder would fit about 2" of napkins; better than most. Some of
the kids planed their boards down to nothing and had to start again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2015 2:26 PM, Leon wrote:
I'm still laughing. With out a doubt building something too big still
haunts me to this day.

I've often wondered if that shop teacher was stupid, or just damned
smart. After all, I did learn a valuable lesson that has yet to be
forgotten.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2015 9:09 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

LOL. So you built a napkin holder and many others built "mulch".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2015 12:18 PM, Leon wrote:
Do you still have any of your early projects?

I found this box, a couple of days ago, my dad helped me build it in
1966. When 1/4" plywood was 1/4" and the brads that continue to hold
this together were only put in with a hammer. We had just moved into a
new neighborhood and scrap lumber was everywhere.
All cuts were made with an old B&D jig saw IIRC. Any way probably my
first keep'r. I think I was 11. :~)

Don't have the first project. Pool cue rack made of scrap shoe molding
found at a nearby home construction site. Hacked into pieces with a
pruning saw and nailed together for a Father's Day present. Very bad
design since the cues were stored horizontally, leading to some very
curved cues. Fortunately, the cues and table were very cheap and Dad
wasn't much of a player. Probably made when I was ten.

About a year later, I made this toy boat, which I still have in the
basement storage, rotten rigging and all...
https://flic.kr/p/yhAbLy

Plans were from a library book, guidance from Dad, but he had me do all
the actual work, after showing me how on scrap. The showing part was
important because much of the work was done on his DeWalt 1400 RAS.
Basic shaping of the redwood hull with the jigsaw attachment after
ripping and crosscutting a 4x4 to size. Further refinement and hollowing
with a coping saw, chisels and sandpaper. Tapered the mast and booms
with the disc sander attachment. Edge treatment on the stand with the
molding head. (I remember that as being a bit scary.) Made a form and
used a tin can on our Coleman camp stove to melt the lead for the keel
weight. Had some awkwardness pouring the lead because the leather gloves
were too big. Mom made the sails. I never finished the rudder system -
testing in the bathtub showed an uncorrectable 30ΒΊ starboard lean.

Different times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 9/29/2015 9:09 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

*snip*

I probably don't need to tell you how many times most of us had to
repeat this process before the board passed muster. I was proud that
my napkin holder would fit about 2" of napkins; better than most.
Some of the kids planed their boards down to nothing and had to start
again.

LOL. So you built a napkin holder and many others built "mulch".

Or fire starters. Of all the tool scraps, I think plane shavings work
the best. :-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/29/2015 11:24 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Almost correct. Industrious tyke that I was, I made *both*.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2015 3:26 PM, Leon wrote:
There is one piece in particular that would have been given away about 5
years ago had it not been for the insistance of 2, 23 year young men
that could conquer any task with enough applied testosterone.

Some young men are easily convinced to perform any task that puts their
muscle on display.

Several decades ago, when I was pretty young myself, the band I played
with carried much larger and heavier equipment than I use now. And the
places that band played in tended to have bouncers. Sometimes a couple
of eager, strapping young lads would ask if we needed help with our gear.

I'd usually respond, "Uh, sure. But whatever you do, don't try to pick
up that rack case (or bass bin, or Fender Rhodes), it's *really* heavy".
Before you could snap your fingers, all the very heaviest gear was on
its way up the stairs.