Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Brush Cleaning after Polyurethane

On Tuesday, January 25, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, J-P wrote:
I know this question is pretty basic but I figure it'll save me an expensive
paint (poly-oil base) brush. How do you go about cleaning your expensive
paint brushes after using them (to get maximum life out of them).
Thanks
J-P
Tampa, FL

OMG What a sloppy job I did on my 1st attempt at posting on this site. I meant SOAK the brush not OAK it, and use acetone-based nail polish REMOVER not the nail polish itself. Sooo sorry if you painted the town red with your brush =D
Gerberry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

I think you'll find quart and gallon cans of acetone from Home Depot
to be cheaper than nail polish remover. Lacquer thinner also works
well (it's typically acetone and toluene). Note that lacquer thinner
is a different substance from ordinary paint thinner. MEK is another
option.

Those compounds are all on my "read the MSDS first" list. They're safe if
handled correctly, but can be hazardous if you're not careful.

A MSDS is usually easily found by typing /Product Name/ MSDS.

(MSDS stands for Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Right - wear maybe purple gloves and black chemical ones on top.
Some of these 'solvents' dissolve lots of stuff.
Use a metal can or bucket.
Martin

On 9/21/2015 7:43 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

I think you'll find quart and gallon cans of acetone from Home Depot
to be cheaper than nail polish remover. Lacquer thinner also works
well (it's typically acetone and toluene). Note that lacquer thinner
is a different substance from ordinary paint thinner. MEK is another
option.

Those compounds are all on my "read the MSDS first" list. They're safe if
handled correctly, but can be hazardous if you're not careful.

A MSDS is usually easily found by typing /Product Name/ MSDS.

(MSDS stands for Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
Puckdropper says...

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

I think you'll find quart and gallon cans of acetone from Home Depot
to be cheaper than nail polish remover. Lacquer thinner also works
well (it's typically acetone and toluene). Note that lacquer thinner
is a different substance from ordinary paint thinner. MEK is another
option.

Those compounds are all on my "read the MSDS first" list. They're safe if
handled correctly, but can be hazardous if you're not careful.

A MSDS is usually easily found by typing /Product Name/ MSDS.

(MSDS stands for Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet.)

Same is true for the nail polish remover that he was already using.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

1. they used a small amount and it was banned.

Who used a small amount and what was banned and where? If you're
talking about nail polish removeer and acetone, nail polish remover is
typically 70+ percent acetone. According to the CVS web site, "CVS
Advanced Nail Polish Remover, Acai Breeze" is "available" (in other
words in stock) at their West Hollywood location and the half dozen or
so surrounding stores which show up when one plugs 90210 into their
locator. According to the product description and list of ingredients,
that product is 96 percent acetone, hardly "a small amount" and if it's
not "banned" in California it's not likely to be banned anywhere in the
US.

As a double check, the Home Depot in Hollywood has over 300 gallons of
acetone in stock.

The new stuff stinks differently.

What "new stuff"? If you're talking about nail polish remover, the "new
stuff" uses ethyl acetate, which if you check the MSDS you will find has
roughly the same toxicity as acetone. If you need "purple gloves and
black chemical ones on top" to use acetone then you need them for ethyl
acetate.

The reason "the new stuff" is on the market is that acetone will
dissolve the glue used to attach artificial nails, while ethyl acetate
will not. It has nothing to do with safety or with "bans".

Note that you used to be able to get ethyl acetate in gallons at Home
Depot as "MEK Substitute" but it has been discontinued.

And the "low VOC lacquer thinner" is nearly pure acetone.

2. the volume of chemical makes all the difference.

Which has what relevance to acetone?

I would not discourage anyone from using acetone, but "you need purple
gloves and black chemical ones on top" is just pointless fear-mongering.

On 9/22/2015 2:55 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,

says...

Right - wear maybe purple gloves and black chemical ones on top.
Some of these 'solvents' dissolve lots of stuff.
Use a metal can or bucket.

You just have to know your plastics and your solvents. Polyethylene
containers work fine. And that one needs purple gloves and black
chemical ones on top to work with acetone would be news to, well, most
women. Ditto lacquer thinner and most painters. And MEK and just about
anybody who works in industry.

Martin

On 9/21/2015 7:43 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

I think you'll find quart and gallon cans of acetone from Home Depot
to be cheaper than nail polish remover. Lacquer thinner also works
well (it's typically acetone and toluene). Note that lacquer thinner
is a different substance from ordinary paint thinner. MEK is another
option.

Those compounds are all on my "read the MSDS first" list. They're safe if
handled correctly, but can be hazardous if you're not careful.

A MSDS is usually easily found by typing /Product Name/ MSDS.

(MSDS stands for Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2015 1:37 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
snip

The new stuff stinks differently.

What "new stuff"? If you're talking about nail polish remover, the "new
stuff" uses ethyl acetate, which if you check the MSDS you will find has
roughly the same toxicity as acetone. If you need "purple gloves and
black chemical ones on top" to use acetone then you need them for ethyl
acetate.

The reason "the new stuff" is on the market is that acetone will
dissolve the glue used to attach artificial nails, while ethyl acetate
will not. It has nothing to do with safety or with "bans".

;~) I hope no one gets the wrong idea...
My wife has her nails done regularly and has done so for 20+ years.
I have often asked her about getting solvents from my shop on her nails.
Many of them would soften/dissolve the paint.
Anyway I'm under the impression that those places don't apply artificial
nails these days, I could be wrong.
The new gel coatings that they use will build up quickly and are
dried with UV light IIRC. And no longer do they chip or soften with the
stuff in my shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nail polish remover is not acetone anymore. Maybe where you live, but
not here. One buys acetone at the paint store or Home Depot.

The stuff in the tiny bottles for women isn't acetone. The consistency
is different. It doesn't dissolve paint like it did before, but works
slowly on the fingernail polish.

Martin

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Read the bottom section - how it can kill you if you breathe it....
It isn't innocent and should be treated with caution. 'half life of 10
days in the air'.....

Martin

On 9/24/2015 8:35 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , J.
Clarke wrote:

In article ,
says...

Right - wear maybe purple gloves and black chemical ones on top.
Some of these 'solvents' dissolve lots of stuff.
Use a metal can or bucket.

You just have to know your plastics and your solvents. Polyethylene
containers work fine. And that one needs purple gloves and black
chemical ones on top to work with acetone would be news to, well, most
women. Ditto lacquer thinner and most painters. And MEK and just about
anybody who works in industry.

Acetone is made by the human body:

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone Second paragraph.

Joe Gwinn

Martin

On 9/21/2015 7:43 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

I think you'll find quart and gallon cans of acetone from Home Depot
to be cheaper than nail polish remover. Lacquer thinner also works
well (it's typically acetone and toluene). Note that lacquer thinner
is a different substance from ordinary paint thinner. MEK is another
option.

Those compounds are all on my "read the MSDS first" list. They're safe if
handled correctly, but can be hazardous if you're not careful.

A MSDS is usually easily found by typing /Product Name/ MSDS.

(MSDS stands for Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Nail polish remover is not acetone anymore. Maybe where you live, but
not here. One buys acetone at the paint store or Home Depot.

The stuff in the tiny bottles for women isn't acetone. The consistency
is different. It doesn't dissolve paint like it did before, but works
slowly on the fingernail polish.

So why does
http://www.cvs.com/shop/beauty/makeu.../cvs-advanced-
nail-polish-remover-juniper-burst-skuid-949209 claim 96 percent
acetone? How about http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/studio-35-beauty-
100-acetone-nail-polish-remover/ID=prod6237803-product claiming 100%
acetone?

Just because you bought one kind doesn't mean that the other kind is not
available. Of course if you don't live in the US then all bets are off.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Read the bottom section - how it can kill you if you breathe it....
It isn't innocent and should be treated with caution. 'half life of 10
days in the air'.....

Oxygen can kill you if you breathe it too. Perhaps you should avoid it.

Martin

On 9/24/2015 8:35 AM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In article , J.
Clarke wrote: