Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ideas on how to fasten this together

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1899815..._home_active_7

I'm thinking a lap joint and glue but I'm sure there's a better way. It looks like oak and a basic steam bend.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 3:02:52 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1899815..._home_active_7

I'm thinking a lap joint and glue but I'm sure there's a better way. It looks like oak and a basic steam bend.

A tapered joint would give you more glue surface. I believe that some drums are made that way.

You could also glue up a panel and cut it out as single piece.

You also cut small pieces and build it like stave drum. Make your staves long and then cut out a bunch of them as gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7u6LPwfkPs
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1899815..._home_active_7

I'm thinking a lap joint and glue but I'm sure there's a better way. It looks like oak and a basic steam bend.

Don't forget all those little slits.

--
GW Ross

I'm so old, restaurants want payment
in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 3:44:02 PM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
Michael wrote:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1899815..._home_active_7

I'm thinking a lap joint and glue but I'm sure there's a better way. It looks like oak and a basic steam bend.

Don't forget all those little slits.

--
GW Ross

I'm so old, restaurants want payment
in advance.

Derby,

Those are some awesome drums! For me, the difference is few weeks worth of work on this type of project versus 30 minutes cutting and steaming a 1/2 inch thick piece of oak. I just hope my steam box is long enough; otherwise I'll have to make another.

GW,

I'm going to think of some kind of jig to make consistent, one-inch cuts. Shouldn't be too tough. I need to make about 10 of these little looms for a non-profit.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 12:02:52 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1899815..._home_active_7

I'm thinking a lap joint and glue but I'm sure there's a better way. It looks like oak and a basic steam bend.

Scarf joint. If you ripped some long thin veneers (so the hoop thicknesss was
three or four thicknesses) a big spiral, glued up and smoothed afterward, would
also work. Hide glue is traditional, but polyurethane would hold well; with lots of
surface area, stability while it dries is more important than strength.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote in
:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1899815...-for-children-
wooden?ref=shop_home_active_7

I'm thinking a lap joint and glue but I'm sure there's a better way.
It looks like oak and a basic steam bend.

That would probably work. If you could scare up some copper
rivets and put a couple thru the lap it'd look very nice and
you could forgo the glue.

John