Default fasten up wall cupboards

Hi Group
As you did such a good job with my kitchen worktop question I hope you
can help with this one.
First I have read the group suggestions on this topic, but.
I have to mount, yes Ikea, wall cupbords. These each weigh abount 15 Kg
empty so assume 25Kg when they are full. Size is 100cm tall by 60cm
wide. The only provision for fixing is a hole in the two top corners,
about 2cm diameter.
So do I just stick some screws in the wall using raw plugs and if so
what size will be needed to support this weight. Or do I use some form
of anchor bolt, again how big?

Look forward to more good advise.
Graham

DJC

Set Square wrote:
It helps enormously if you can contrive to sit the bottom of the cabinets on
a wall-mounted batten made out of some suitable matching material. This
removes all the shear force from the main holding screws - so they simply
have to provide sufficient force in tension to stop the cupboards from
tilting forwards.

If the bolts/screws are doing the job properly there wont be a
significant shear force. The bolt tension provides the friction between
cupboard and wall which stops it sliding down.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Set Square

DJC wrote:

Set Square wrote:
It helps enormously if you can contrive to sit the bottom of the
cabinets on a wall-mounted batten made out of some suitable matching
material. This removes all the shear force from the main holding
screws - so they simply have to provide sufficient force in tension
to stop the cupboards from tilting forwards.

If the bolts/screws are doing the job properly there wont be a
significant shear force. The bolt tension provides the friction
between cupboard and wall which stops it sliding down.

There's theory . . . and then there's practice!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

soup

soup wrote:
Graham one of the best ways to mount cupboards to a wall is to mount a
shaped [1] batten to the back of the cupboard and another to the wall
then place the cupboard batten on top of the wall one the more weight
on the cupboard the more the cupboard will be pulled into the wall .

[1] Shaped with an angle running into the wall A LA:-

http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup724450569878.JPG

Excuse the 30 second paint drawing

Having said that my kitchen cupboards (put up by kitchen fitters) merely
has two "normal" (can only see the heads so can't give lengths/widths
etc) screws holding each cupboard to the wall these screws are
rawplugged of course and the wall is plastered breeze block (non load
bearing). Maybe they only do the flaffing about with battens thing if
the wall is plaster board?
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

soup

soup wrote:
"normal" (can only see the heads so can't give
lengths/widths etc) screws.

Screws are (at a guess) in the 80mm long by 4mm diameter region.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Homer2911

Having said that my kitchen cupboards (put up by kitchen fitters) merely
has two "normal" (can only see the heads so can't give lengths/widths
etc) screws holding each cupboard to the wall these screws are
rawplugged of course and the wall is plastered breeze block (non load
bearing). Maybe they only do the flaffing about with battens thing if
the wall is plaster board?
--

Maybe they only do the faffing about thing with battens when it's in
their own kitchen - if it's a client's kitchen, some of them couldn't

Member

Hi Group
As you did such a good job with my kitchen worktop question I hope you
can help with this one.
First I have read the group suggestions on this topic, but.
I have to mount, yes Ikea, wall cupbords. These each weigh abount 15 Kg
empty so assume 25Kg when they are full. Size is 100cm tall by 60cm
wide. The only provision for fixing is a hole in the two top corners,
about 2cm diameter.
So do I just stick some screws in the wall using raw plugs and if so
what size will be needed to support this weight. Or do I use some form
of anchor bolt, again how big?

Look forward to more good advise.
Graham

I have just fitted Ikea units including a run of cupboards and as they are fixed to Celcon blocks i was not happy about the strength of fixings so used spare wall fixings from the base units to put a couple of fixings at the BOTTOM corners of a couple of cabinets. Cant really see them and it just gives added support.

Freddy

Wet parapet wall on conservatory... AlexW UK diy 2 August 3rd 05 05:15 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM