Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what kind of lumber

my guess is acacia

https://youtu.be/-ykWChuaOo4

nicely done video in any case

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/18/2015 4:07 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
my guess is acacia

I don't know, but it isn't acacia as they branch and aren't found in
Tasmania where he's located. My guess would be it's one the various
gums found there, but which one I've no klew...

Posted to rec.woodworking

my guess is acacia
https://youtu.be/-ykWChuaOo4
nicely done video in any case
Electric Comet

Nice video and very nice wood work.
In the comments it says...
Alex Jerrim - Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/19/2015 9:06 AM, Casper wrote:
my guess is acacia
https://youtu.be/-ykWChuaOo4
nicely done video in any case
Electric Comet

Nice video and very nice wood work.
In the comments it says...
Alex Jerrim - Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata

Does it say it in the comments? I didn't see that...saw somebody asked
but no answer.

I wasn't aware the Australian blackwood and some of the other species
there are actually members of acacia family I discovered...but the
pictures I can see don't show bark anything like what his specimen is???

I'm still not at all sure what it is...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:06:15 -0400
Casper wrote:

Nice video and very nice wood work.
In the comments it says...
Alex Jerrim - Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata

ok
did not see the comments

a little bit of paradise he has there

Posted to rec.woodworking

In the comments it says...
Alex Jerrim - Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata

Does it say it in the comments? I didn't see that...saw somebody asked
but no answer.
dpb

You have to read much further down in the comments to read were Alex
actually commented back on the wood with the link above.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/20/2015 12:08 PM, Casper wrote:
In the comments it says...
Alex Jerrim - Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata

Does it say it in the comments? I didn't see that...saw somebody asked
but no answer.
dpb

You have to read much further down in the comments to read were Alex
actually commented back on the wood with the link above.

OK, I see that it's on another page further down or more...I presumed if
hadn't answered on that first page probably hadn't and wasn't interested
enough to keep searching...

I still think it's odd that those he's cutting are apparently pretty
tall (or the video is shot for the effect ) and have such a long log
before any signs of branching and the very smooth bark. I couldn't find
a sample picture that looked anything whatever like his altho I did
_finally_ find one labelled as "Tasmanian" shot from a distance that at
least did a have a bit of a trunk and didn't look quite so rough bark as
the bulk did. Perhaps there's a difference in Australia vis a vis
Tasmanian as I think almost if not all the rest were Australian.

But, I presume he does know what it is...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:07:17 -0500
dpb wrote:

I still think it's odd that those he's cutting are apparently pretty
tall (or the video is shot for the effect ) and have such a long
log before any signs of branching and the very smooth bark. I
couldn't find a sample picture that looked anything whatever like his
altho I did _finally_ find one labelled as "Tasmanian" shot from a
distance that at least did a have a bit of a trunk and didn't look
quite so rough bark as the bulk did. Perhaps there's a difference in
Australia vis a vis Tasmanian as I think almost if not all the rest
were Australian.

couple of things
look in previous post about scribner's book
in there they talk about choosing a tree to fell and how the location
influences the tree growth

on the edge of the forest
in the middle of the forest and the like

that tree was in the middle so it was reaching for sunlight
there was no benefit for growing branches out the sides

But, I presume he does know what it is...

i get the feeling he is pretty well in touch with the trees and knows

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

[...]

Sure, that can explain the trunk; doesn't explain the smooth bark vis a
vis all the other sample shots of the species...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/20/2015 11:32 PM, dpb wrote:

Sure, that can explain the trunk; doesn't explain the smooth bark vis a
vis all the other sample shots of the species...

Again, I'm not saying it's not but from all the looking at comparative
shots, would surely have a stretch deciding that's what those he's
cutting are...it's why I didn't think was and guessed at something far
different initially (not to mention that I hadn't looked and didn't
realize several of the species that at least had heard of by common
names actually were in acacia family.)

So again, sure, he's almost certainly correct and I've no doubt he's
pretty doggone knowledgeable but like so often in the bird books or the
like the subject doesn't necessarily match the illustration all that
well...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/21/2015 9:33 AM, Sonny wrote:

At the beginning of the video, that tree stump has rough-looking
bark. ...

I'm looking at the closeup at about the 2:30 mark; pretty smooth, fine
striations; not much at all like what I could find as referenced
dealbata pictures although granted virtually none I found were good
shots of other than the foliage/blooms/etc.

My guess is that the tree he uses is Blackwood/Acacia melanoxylon. ...

That was my initial thought looking at the end of the log but I don't
know anything about them other than a sample the wife brought back in a
collection she picked up of various down under woods from her trip down
there...but it's just a 1" square of a dozen or so and no other info.
Again, however, the searches I did didn't lead me to think from the
pictures I found they looked all that similar to his specimen...at that
point I hadn't actually even realized it (blackwood and several others
had heard of by common name even though know knothing about them
firsthand) were acacias...

Anyway, I'll defer to the man onsite (not to say he also _might_ be in
error or answering a different question in the comments, but it would
seem he'd be the one to know... ).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:32:51 -0500
dpb wrote:

Sure, that can explain the trunk; doesn't explain the smooth bark vis
a vis all the other sample shots of the species...

you are entering into an area of study that is interesting
i think the technical word used in biology is morphology

in common terms it is the study of the different forms of a given species

the environment plays a big part in what form a species can take
like middle of the forest versus the forest edge
northern edge versus southern edge
windy versus calm
and so on and so on

i would expect rougher bark on trees that receive more sunlight on the
trunk then a tree that gets very little sunlight

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Why get the word second hand? I emailed Alex and asked him directly. Hopefully he'll reply. I, also, invited him to comment directly on this thread, if he's obligized to sign on.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
Sonny wrote:

peeling off, so it looks more smooth. It seems several (many?0 of
the Australian/Tamanian trees have barks that change, shed, to some
extent, with the change of the seasons, also.

i think manzanita trees also regenerate the bark over time

Also, the sapling, he plants, appears to have (somewhat thick) waxy
leaves, smooth edges, elongated(?).

thought that was a gum tree
i think like what we call a eucalyptus in usa

Blackwood is easily worked, very stable and long lasting, and

i thought that blackwood was very hard
does that fit into the characterisitic of being easily worked

I didn't find any references to/for the use of the bark, but my
search was limited.

i imagine those big sheets he stored would make great shingles
not certain but just a guess
would work great for a lean-to
or maybe a natural insulation

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Sure, that can explain the trunk; doesn't explain the smooth bark vis
a vis all the other sample shots of the species...

you are entering into an area of study that is interesting
i think the technical word used in biology is morphology

in common terms it is the study of the different forms of a given species

the environment plays a big part in what form a species can take
like middle of the forest versus the forest edge
northern edge versus southern edge
windy versus calm
and so on and so on

i would expect rougher bark on trees that receive more sunlight on the
trunk then a tree that gets very little sunlight

All true to greater/lesser degree, but oaks look like oaks, sycamores
like sycamores and the differences within aren't enough to confuse one
with another no matter where they happen to live...

I'm seeing stuff that ain't close and unless there's a seasonal change
that does in fact slough off or the like, I'm thinking these are likely
not the same as what I've found photos of...then again, I have no direct
knowledge of anything down under but I have a pretty good knowledge and
ability to identify NA species used for lumber having spent a fair
amount of time over 50 yr or so observing same and reading, studying...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/21/2015 1:28 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 12:59:52 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Anyway, I'll defer to the man onsite (not to say he also _might_ be in
error or answering a different question in the comments, but it would
seem he'd be the one to know... ).

Why get the word second hand? I emailed Alex and asked him directly.
Hopefully he'll reply. I, also, invited him to comment directly on this
thread, if he's obligized to sign on.

On, _NOW_ you've done it... Why in the world wood (so to speak?) we
want facts on usenet????

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

i would expect rougher bark on trees that receive more sunlight on the
trunk then a tree that gets very little sunlight

Well then, you might be challenged to explain the difference between a Beech
tree and a Maple tree growing side by side in the same woods.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 7:10:17 AM UTC+10, Electric Comet wrote:
my guess is acacia

https://youtu.be/-ykWChuaOo4

nicely done video in any case

Hi Folks,
Glad you like my video. The wood is Acacia Dealta (See.https://en.wikipedia..org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata) We call it Silver Wattle. It grows very quickly and has a relatively short lifespan. Most of the wood I use on courses has grown since I purchased the property in 1986. If you go to my website's photo gallery you'll see lots more silver wattle. I even lined my entire house out of it. (See http://wisdomthroughwood.com/main/pa...o_gallery.html) and follow the link )

Cheers
Alex
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 5:47:06 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 7:10:17 AM UTC+10, Electric Comet wrote:
my guess is acacia

https://youtu.be/-ykWChuaOo4

nicely done video in any case

Hi Folks,
Glad you like my video. The wood is Acacia Dealta (See.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata) We call it Silver Wattle. It grows very quickly and has a relatively short lifespan. Most of the wood I use on courses has grown since I purchased the property in 1986. If you go to my website's photo gallery you'll see lots more silver wattle. I even lined my entire house out of it. (See http://wisdomthroughwood.com/main/pa...o_gallery.html) and follow the link )

Cheers
Alex

Thanks Alex. Seems Casper wins, since he delved deeper into the video's comments and links, to find the same reference link that you replied to, then.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 06:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
Sonny wrote:

Thanks Alex. Seems Casper wins, since he delved deeper into the
video's comments and links, to find the same reference link that you
replied to, then.

actually no one made a guess
which seems perfectly appropriate for this group

i guessed acacia
so got the right genera

Always like to see other folks work. Your gallery is great.... gave
me some ideas (*the top toy, for one) for projects for the kids among
my family.

the top is a nice twist on the top project and nice design
i have a piece of blackwood acacia that would work for that idea

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 03:47:01 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

http://wisdomthroughwood.com/main/pa...o_gallery.html) and
follow the link )

a lot of happy people on your site
nice work
that ladder back rocker stands out for me

well it all does but that one nears the top of the list

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Sure, that can explain the trunk; doesn't explain the smooth bark vis
a vis all the other sample shots of the species...

after reading the post from the fellow in the video i realized that the
smooth tree versus the rough tree could be also explained by pruning
and/or cultivation

which ever term you prefer

trimming off side branches as the tree grows would give a nice trunk

it is what i would do were i to grow trees to make things from wood

have a look under the media tab for lots of pictures of the species at
http://eol.org