Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pro Grade 3M sand paper

Has any one had any experience with this product. I saw it at the paint
store a couple of days ago. It has like a thin rubber backing that is
almost clear. Flexible and apparently lasts 15 times longer than
regular paper.
I wonder if it would be a good replacement for the Norton foam backed paper.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...293390684&rt=d
Posted to rec.woodworking

I skeptically bought a pack last week to refinish a piece of furniture....150 grit. So far I am pleased with ease of use and effectiveness. Lots of coves and beads and the paper, make that product, handles them very well. Ah heck, I'm still gonna call it sandpaper. I can't comment on the 15x as I've never really tried to see how long sanding material lasts. I would buy again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 6:35:50 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
Has any one had any experience with this product.

Might have to try it. Wish you had posted this yesterday, I would have bought some, then. I bought 2 packs of the All Purpose, packs of 20 sheets. I suppose I could exchange them.

Rubberize backing: Wonder if it folds like the All Purpose sheets.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/17/2015 7:53 PM, BillinGA wrote:
I skeptically bought a pack last week to refinish a piece of furniture....150 grit. So far I am pleased with ease of use and effectiveness. Lots of coves and beads and the paper, make that product, handles them very well. Ah heck, I'm still gonna call it sandpaper. I can't comment on the 15x as I've never really tried to see how long sanding material lasts. I would buy again.

Thanks! good to know. I have been using the foam back paper for a few
years and it does good but if this will last even 5 time longer it might
be a better solution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

It seems to have a silicone based backing. It won't fold like paper and give you a rigid edge. I won't give up traditional paper but intend to use both.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 7:02:41 AM UTC-5, BillinGA wrote:
It seems to have a silicone based backing. It won't fold like paper and give you a rigid edge. I won't give up traditional paper but intend to use both.

Hmmm, won't fold, huh! I might try heating it, a little, see if it folds effectively.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/18/2015 7:02 AM, BillinGA wrote:
It seems to have a silicone based backing. It won't fold like paper and give you a rigid edge. I won't give up traditional paper but intend to use both.

That would be OK, I almost exclusively use the foam backed paper for
easing sharp edges.
"If" you have used it in this capacity you understand that this can
often raise a splinter. Is this paper resistance to a splinter poking
through the backing? Again the foam backed seems to be pretty resistant
to this happening.
Thanks again for the info.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/18/2015 8:00 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 7:02:41 AM UTC-5, BillinGA wrote:
It seems to have a silicone based backing. It won't fold like paper and give you a rigid edge. I won't give up traditional paper but intend to use both.

Hmmm, won't fold, huh! I might try heating it, a little, see if it folds effectively.

Sonny

I think it will fold to a degree but will probably leave you a radius
return on the fold vs. the backing being entirely flat back to back.

I don't think this is going to replace paper backed so much as being a
better choice for rounded surfaces and easing edges AND lasting
significantly longer.

But let us know if you do heat it and how that turns out.

Sand to what grit for paint-grade cabinets? blueman Woodworking 8 December 3rd 11 03:13 PM
Sand Paper Leon[_7_] Woodworking 10 May 9th 11 03:57 AM
Multi Grade Sand Filter shubham Inc Home Repair 0 September 28th 10 09:57 AM
sand paper grade Matthew.Ridges UK diy 5 April 9th 10 03:56 AM
$$$ sand paper Lee Woodworking 1 January 29th 07 05:43 AM