Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sand Paper

I have been using the Festool sanders for about 3 years now and could not be
happier. Yes the stuff is pricey however you get what you pay for.

For those of you that are familiar with the red Ruben sand paper you
probably know that it is a cloth backed paper that I have have found to
outlast the typical vendor branded paper.

Several weeks ago I was doing a lot of sanding, in particular, sanding a lot
of glue squeeze out around those exposed Domino tennons on that large group
of drawers I built. Because the tennons are proud of the surface when glued
in place it is way difficult to wipe of the excess glue. Anyway I was
replacing the red Ruben sand paper with each of the drawers. It was loading
up with the excess glue. I had 23 on the first run.

Enter into the equation the Festool "Crystal" sand paper. This sand paper
outlasted the Ruben sand paper 10 to 1 and excess glue squeeze did not load
the paper at all.

SO if you are looking for an aggressive paper that is not affected by excess
glue and lasts a very long time, consider the Festool Crystal paper. It's
finest grit is 120.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

SO if you are looking for an aggressive paper that is not affected by excess to flush
glue and lasts a very long time, consider the Festool Crystal paper. It's
finest grit is 120.

The 60 grit Cristal, with a Rotex 125 on aggressive mode, is like having a
planer on the end of your sander ... took a 3/4 wide, 1/4" proud, maple
inlay around a 40" frame down to flush in less than 15 minutes ... a foot
+/ minute.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Could you guys give me a little more info?

I am getting ready to paint a large, nice home that has a lot of
woodwork to be repaired and replaced. With nominal dimension woods
never seeming to match these days, I do a lot of wood grinding....
ummm.... sanding to level out trims, fascia, etc. This includes
smoothing out epoxy putties, etc.

So will this Festool offering fit on a normal sander, 5" or 6"? I
know Festool's dust collection is legendary, so how many holes does
the paper have in it?

Next, how much a disc? Our local Woodcraft is the only Festool vendor
and of course they don't have any. **Maybe** they could order some...
maybe.

I bought about $600 worth of sandpaper from a guy years ago that had
his own punching equipment. He bought roll ends from Klingspor and
Murka Gold, and some other German brand. He punched the pattern, and
sent discs out in bulk with a minimum buy of 50 discs. I bought
several hundred, and I am now out of 60, 80, and 120 grits. The stuff
he had was very aggressive and sharp, but it was a mix if stearated
and non stearated.

I HATE %$&* STEARATED paper. Stearated paper has ruined more
finishes than WD40.

Quite probably the reason the Festool paper doesn't load is it isn't
stearated.

This sounds interesting.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 6:12*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Robert........ (how can I say this nicely)....... BUY a FESTOOL SANDER
already!! A Rotex. That is like buying TWO sanders .... Wouldn't Karl
or Leon let you play with theirs? G

I have never used the Crystal, but its reputation precedes Leon's
post. The stuff is supposed to be awesome, fab. tits. sick, dirty,
excellent, fabulous. Boat guys love it.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in news:66f3c529-ca76-4660-9619-
:

On May 7, 6:12*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I love my R0 90. Just ordered the last box at Amazon of Festool 496605
P120 Grit, Cristal Abrasives, Pack of 100 , BUT DARN IT, this is not for
my R0 90. Anyone want this for $55.50 plus shipping costs from me to
you?

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Several weeks ago I was doing a lot of sanding, in particular, sanding a lot
of glue squeeze out around those exposed Domino tennons on that large group
of drawers I built. Because the tennons are proud of the surface when glued
in place it is way difficult to wipe of the excess glue.

Leon, why aren't you taking that squeeze-out off with a razor-sharp hook
scraper?

Or a card scraper. File-sharpen, hone, burnish to a fine hook, and work
along the grain. You can do it without leaving a mark.

Life's too short to spend it trying to sand that stuff off.

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/7/2011 5:12 PM, wrote:

Could you guys give me a little more info?

One would expect that the Festool paper for their 6"or 5" sanders would
work on any other similar 5" or 6" sander despite the holes, but
obviously without the dust collection. The 150 uses 9 holes as below:

http://www.festoolproducts.com/Festo...o-p/496602.htm

In this case the price is around .05/disk per hundred for the Cristal.

Got a couple of disks of 60g Cristal in a sample pack when I bought the
RO125 and haven't been able to wear out the only I've used since.

So far, after 15 minutes of aggressive mode on that one disk during the
previously described project (taking down 1/4" of stock on 13LF of 3/4 x
3/4 stock), I can't even tell it's been used and it looks identical to
the unused one ... and I initially rough sanded a panel-glued 13 x 36
oak table top with the same disk before that project.

Ideal solution, of course, is to build into the job price a RO 150/CT 33
or 36 combination ... I guarantee that sanding combo will pay for itself
before the job is over, particularly if the house is occupied, and the
other decade or more of use will be paying you back in time, labor and
material costs.

Robert, although you can undoubtedly piecemeal other components to the
same effect, I guarantee I would cheerfully pay double what I payed for
the Festool sander/dust collector combo rather than do without for on
site use, _particularly if the house is occupied_!!

You're in the business, Bubba ... keep repeating: Section 179/Section
179/Section...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
diainc...

"Leon" wrote in message

Several weeks ago I was doing a lot of sanding, in particular, sanding a lot
of glue squeeze out around those exposed Domino tennons on that large group
of drawers I built. Because the tennons are proud of the surface when glued
in place it is way difficult to wipe of the excess glue.

Leon, why aren't you taking that squeeze-out off with a razor-sharp hook
scraper?

I have 2~3, 5mm x 3/4" loose domino tennons which are about 3/8" proud of
the surface on each corner. Multiply that by each of the 4 corners of the
drawer, multiply that by 23. Add to that the loose tennons are round on the
ends and are about spaced about 1.25" apart. Scraping off excess would take
an eternity. I use the band saw to remove the excess protruding tennons and
sand them along with the glue, around each, flush with the drawer side using
the Rotex sander with the Cristal sand paper. This takes approximately 2~3
seconds per drawer corner.

Or a card scraper. File-sharpen, hone, burnish to a fine hook, and work
along the grain. You can do it without leaving a mark.

I do use these tools but as you mentioned below, Life is too short.

Life's too short to spend it trying to sand that stuff off.

Now think back about what I mentioned above, sanding approximately 230
loose tennons and glue squeeze out on 92 drawer corners, flush with the
drawer sides in approximately 5 minutes, total. How long would it take to
scrape glue from all four sides and corners of the 230 tennons? ;!)

Tom Dacon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 May 2011 10:19:11 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 5/7/2011 5:12 PM, wrote:

[...]

Full depreciation on first year, or annual decrements?

--
If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 May 2011 10:19:11 -0500, Swingman wrote:

You're in the business, Bubba ... keep repeating: Section 179/Section
179/Section...

Full depreciation on first year, or annual decrements?

------------
Section 179 is a total write off. No depreciation. The amount varies from
year to year. Right now it is big. Next year a lot less.

Traditionally this is offered as an "economic stimulus". No some folk are
talking about severely limiting it or cutting it way back as a deficit
reduction strategy. Which is stupid. People buy equipment for their
business and that helps produce more work, sales and taxes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 May 2011 22:13:35 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 08 May 2011 10:19:11 -0500, Swingman wrote:

You're in the business, Bubba ... keep repeating: Section 179/Section
179/Section...

Full depreciation on first year, or annual decrements?

------------
Section 179 is a total write off. No depreciation. The amount varies from
year to year. Right now it is big. Next year a lot less.

I seem to remember that I had a choice when I bought my last business
computer, two 1040s ago.

Traditionally this is offered as an "economic stimulus". No some folk are
talking about severely limiting it or cutting it way back as a deficit
reduction strategy. Which is stupid. People buy equipment for their
business and that helps produce more work, sales and taxes.

When have Washington bureaucrats been less than shortsighted?

sand paper grade Matthew.Ridges UK diy 5 April 9th 10 03:56 AM
sand paper George UK diy 2 July 14th 07 11:38 AM
$$$ sand paper Lee Woodworking 1 January 29th 07 05:43 AM
Sand Paper Stains Tom Storey Woodturning 7 December 17th 05 02:35 PM
PSA Sand Paper Leon Woodworking 18 May 29th 05 03:48 PM